“Smoker's Paradise!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Matteson
Appleton
“Smoker's Paradise!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you smoke, don't think twice. BOOK THIS HOTEL!!! You will LOVE it. They have a ton of smoking rooms and they stink bad. In fact, most of the hotel smells of cigarette smoke.

If you don't smoke don't take a chance on booking a reservation. You have a good/fair chance of getting a smoking room since VERY FEW people want them. I don't understand hotels that cater to indoor smokers today. It's bad for business. Why should someone who doesn't smoke be subjected to smoking. The hospitality industry needs to take notice. This hotel is a prime example of the problem. As a non-smoker I won't give them my business again. If you want allow indoor smoking, continue to market to the minority of today's population at the expense of the larger market. A bottle of Febreeze won't even save you. Enough said.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We follow Illinois and Cook County Mandates to provide smoking rooms for smokers, which helps the non smoking rooms to be smoke free, as you know that a lot of people do not wish to smoke outside of their rooms. We understand your frustration but we assure you that the hotel doesnt smell like smoke, except for smoking rooms on the top corner floor. Thus we always provide guests with 100% non-smoking requests, the designated non smoking floors.
We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations. We sincerely hope that you give us a chance and we shall do our best.
Andy Sarma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Monroe, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Found this hotel by chance the last time I was in the area and I was pleasantly surprised. We were allowed to check in early and were upgraded to a beautiful room. Room was clean and beds were wonderful. The staff was extraordinarily friendly and the location can't be beat. The General Manager even came around to greet us at breakfast. The location was perfect due to we stayed for 5 days and 4 nights for business and leisure purposes. Having stayed at a few other hotels in the immediate area I can easily say that THIS is the one I would return to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GoPack22
MgtTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed. We look forward to your next stay. Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!
Sara Preston,
Assistant General Manager
MI
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel was very clean & the staff was excellent. The staff works hard to please. I look forward to my next stay. Kids loved the clean pool. The manager is VERY tentative to everyone at the hotel & seems to be everywhere all the time.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank francescamy
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed it. We look forward to your next stay. Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!
Andy Sarma,
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had booked this hotel for three nights. The first night we walked in to our room and the AC was not working at all. We called the front desk, they were very nice and fixed it for us and gave us a different room if it stopped working. The second night I woke up to something crawling on me. Turns out it was a bed bug! I put it in a cup to show the front desk staff. I didn't even have to tell him what it was, he already knew. I asked for a refund and they told me that I had to take that up with Priceline, since we booked the hotel through them. Luckily they refunded us our money back. We did not stay the third night with them. Long story short STAY AWAY, THIS HOTEL HAS BED BUGS!

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank kt91
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. We can assure you that we do have a very strict pest control program in place and do our best to control such incidents. As you might agree, we cannot control how those bed bugs are carried as this is a travellors nightmare, moreover a hotels nightmare as those are carried in. But we have completely eradicated any issues as such in our hotel as of now.
Andy Sarma
Apopka, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Ill make this brief; first night staying here had two exhausted little girls with me they decided to put our room right above a dance club that played the whole discography of R. Kelley. Do not get room 228 we were so close to the music the bass shook the beds. Didn't bother to say anything what's the point...just Horrible. By the way, I'm not exaggerating...it went on till 12am.

Room Tip: DO NOT USE RM 228! Night club right underneath...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lorenzo0919
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We understand how important a quiet environment is and apologize that the music made your stay unenjoyable. Your feedback helps us prevent situations such as this in the future. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 16, 2013

For the price, I say maybe stay here. If you're on a budget or just need a quick low cost option for a night while passing through the area, then maybe. But regarding everything else that you might expect, then a definite NO. I won't go into too much detail as there is much, but I will give you a snippet of the many issues that I encountered during my stay.

The toilet in my wrong was broken or something. You had to jingle the handle for about 5 minutes after a flush. Well of course it mentioned it to the front desk attendant on the first night. He looked at me with a look like he already knew it. Also, he look was sort of dismissive, as if he really didn't care. My presumptions were correct. 3 nights later, and no resolution. Obviously, they didn't give a crap.

One positive was the breakfast. It was pretty extensive and had a hot option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ChicagoBizDude
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson, responded to this review, May 24, 2013

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.
Andy
Racine
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel April 20, 2013. We had a group block for a basketball tournament that was nearby. When making my reservation the manager assured me that I should stay in a King Suite because it was so nice and I won't regret it, well WRONG! All the block of rooms were all on the third floor of this hotel. The third floor is the smoking floor, in which when I made reservation for group block I indicated that we needed non smoking rooms. In my "king suite" I had to leave the windows open all day/night in the cold so that my two 7 year olds wouldn't have a asthma attack due to the smoking room, when asked to be moved, according to the front desk attendant the hotel was sold out therefore we were stuck in these rooms. The furniture is wore down and the room was filthy! The heater vent in the wall was covered in food, the bathroom wall by the sink had what looked like vomit that wasn't cleaned up the furniture had holes in them looked like cigarette burns. When I did open the windows there were holes in the screen, thank Goodness the weather was in upper 30's that I didn't have to worry about bugs flying in. When checking in the front desk attendant was not knowledgeable at all about what was going on. When I asked him questions he told me to talk with the manager who when you try to call is NEVER available. My rate was changed to a higher rate which it wasn't suppose to be. This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever encountered in my entire life, every parent on the team had a issue with this hotel in their own rooms. I will NEVER stay here again!!!!!!

Room Tip: No rooms stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank mpeezy
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Melinda,
I thank you for your patience in helping me resolve this issue. Again, per our conversation today, I am extremely sorry you and your kids had to go through this unforeseen circumstance. My assurance with you and your team is that we are working dilligently to ensure this type of situation is avoided. I hope you are happy with the two free night vouchers that we send you. The vouchers can be used in any North American Country Inn and Suites of your choice, unexpired and with no black out dates.
I hope we can win your and your groups confidence back and burn the isolated situation. Please do keep us in mind and call me before your trip brings back to Matteson, and I shall personally ensure everything is right.

Sincerely
Andy, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matteson
Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson
La Quinta Inn Chicago Matteson
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Tinley Park
Best Western Plus Chicago Southland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson? Share your experiences!