New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matteson
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Poor stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a reservation for five days for a 2 bed Queen suite, upon arriving, I was told they only had a one bed king suite for 4 people. The desk clerk said we could have a lower rate for the entire stay if we took that room for the night, and the next morning we could get the room we were suppose to have, and we have the discount rate for the room, but when I went the next day to see about the room I was told that the clerk wasn't authorized to give me a discount rate, so if I got the room that I suppose to have gotten in the being I would have to pay the full rate. The clerk also lied and said the reason he gave the rate was because he had a line and just needed to get us away from the counter because I cursed him, which I never said a curse word and there was no one else waiting. That same clerk for some unknown reason baked cookies one night and about 11:30 in night the fire alarm went off and everyone had to leave the hotel due to him doing something he shouldn't have been doing. This was a very bad stay at this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our management and are being addressed. The lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel. Please know your comments are taken very seriously and will be acted upon immediately.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Amherst, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Great service and a friendly staff. Nice rooms and very convenient being as it is located about half an hour from Chicago. Also right next to a plaza and relatively close to other stores. All around great service. Breakfast buffet included and very good as well. The hotel also has a heated pool open till ten at night and that is very fun.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
 Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves in being service professionals here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson. We hope to see you again soon.
St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed two nights while visiting Chicago -- King suite. Room was really nicely decorated and comfortable. Very spacious. It was our first time at a Hampton Inn and I was impressed. Great access to restaurants, stores and fairly straight jaunt to downtown (35-45 min). Breakfast buffet had lots of choices and was tastey, but only 1 waffle maker for all guests so they could use another. Staff seemed very busy and a little overwhelmed. When I asked for a suitcase rack, the front desk person just said 'no, they didn't have one' and made no attempt to address my need. We also needed additional pillows and towels for the 3 of us, and housekeeping, while pleasant, noted that they were very busy. Pool was also very cold and appeared somewhat dirty. No hot tub. Overall, good stay.

Room Tip: Room 100 is excellent. Lights outside hotel at night mean you need to keep your drapes shut tightly...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
It was good to hear you liked our King room and are sorry you had problems with the front desk and the waffle maker. . We are in the process of evaluating opportunities for improvement and appreciate your input!
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. The staff I encountered were all very pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable and nicely decorated. The furniture had a few scratches, but everything else was beautiful. My room was spacious and my bed was very comfortable.

I was really pleased to discover the toiletries available. I didn't want to check my bags on my flight so I didn't bring my own and I was pleased to discover everything I needed and more - I haven't seen shower gel or mouthwash in a hotel in a while!

The workout center was clean and comfortable and offered several options for cardio equipment as well as free weights (starting at 5 lbs). My only concern was that the treadmill stopped on a dime - it was not a brand I was familiar with and I've not encountered this with other machines.

The complimentary breakfast was a nice perk. The eggs and French toast sticks were hot and delicious and there were many options to choose from, including fresh fruit.

If business takes me to this area again, I look forward to staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Marti E
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson we were glad to hear "I was pleasantly surprised by my experience". We always enjoy hearing from our guests! Thank you for posting such a pleasant review.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed at this Hampton for business. The location is great as it's literally across the street from our office complex. However, the location is tricky the first time. It sits on a road behind a strip mall, so your gps may get you lost. It's a quick, easy drive from Midway airport. Just take Cicero all the way. There are a lot of stoplights, but it is the fastest route (about 25 minutes). Do not take any freeways, you will be going out of your way.

As for the hotel itself, the room was very dusty and the carpets had not been vaccumed. There was hair on one of nightstands, which particulary grosses me out, and could have been removed if they dusted. That said, the front desk team is extremely friendly, but the cleaning staff could use some work. For value, I give it 3 stars. Perhaps it's my company's fault for not negotiating a better rate, but $129 for a small town Hampton with a dusty room is not value to me. I would stay here again on a one or two night business stay, but not otherwise.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Frank guest reviews such as yours, are appreciated, as they give us the chance to improve. It seems the underlying issues you experienced were the result of unacceptable housekeeping practices. The problem you mentioned was brought to the attention of our housekeeping department and have been addressed. Thank you for your review.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed at this property while in Chicago to attend my grandmother's funeral. I was very impressed with the hotel and the staff. They were very responsive to our needs and very friendly. The rooms were well appointed and the lounge/breakfast area was beautifully decorated. The offered 24 hour coffee and tea as well as a decent breakfast buffet and fresh cookies in the evening. I did not have a chance to utilize the pool are, however they have an enclosed pool and it was maintained very well. Being from Chicago I was familar with the area and there are great choices for dining (nothing fancy but good standard chains and fast food), as well as shopping - some within walking distance of the hotel. We are thinking of using this property for our family reunion the next time it is in the Chicago area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LMD2010
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
First of all, our condolences for the loss of your grandmother. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and we look forward to seeing you again here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson.
Bradenton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Stayed here for two nights. The first night was the evening before a big presentation to a nearby company. In final rehearsal, my laptop crashed. It was 11 p.m. I need to print out my presentation and also send it by e-mail to the company for possible use in the morning.

Luckily, a young man named Brandon was working the front desk. He took on my problem as his problem and I ended up using one of the front desk computers to print out and then e-mail my presentation (the business center computer was occupied).

The following night, as I returned to the hotel, he immediately asked me how it went. I gave him a high five and thanked him and told him he did an incredible job saving my presentation.

People like Brandon are why I stay at Hilton more than Marriott. He could have shrugged and said "good luck", but he did not. No, he went the extra mile. The hotel is average to good for a Hampton Inn, but I won't remember that. I will remember Brandon and help he extended to me. (I landed the account)..

Room Tip: Ask for one on the back side to avoid freeway noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BarefootTom
 Here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson we're always looking for ways to identify star performers on our team and will share your positive review with Brandon. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matteson
Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson
La Quinta Inn Chicago Matteson
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/Tinley Park
Hampton Inn Chicago/Tinley Park

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson? Share your experiences!