“Good Value for $$; rough around edges”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matteson
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good Value for $$; rough around edges”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Have stayed ~3times now. Last was huge Room403 (double, suite)-photos & video(I hope) attached. Nice price @ <$100 for latest generation Hampton (my fav discount brand) near large city. THE GOOD: all that is typical of Hamptons-'cloud9' bed, bathroom decor & supplies, free hot breakfast (inlc. waffle, oatmeal, & various choices), nice decor, free buffet 'dinner' on Wednesday eves, 4~10 min walk to nearby restaurants, quiet rooms (where I've stayed), very friendly/upbeat staff, parking in back close, seems to be "the meeting place" around area, very convenient to US-30 & I-57. Room 403 had mic oven, frig, wet-bar. THE NOT SO GOOD: Tables, nightstand, & lamps worn-out. [desk in 403 was ready to fall apart until I tightened leg-nuts with multitool. Had swayed >1".] HVAC fan loud even for me who likes 'white noise'. Thermostat controller plain weird. Painfully slow Internet service at peak evening usage times: wired or wireless. I got feeling cleaning is not top priority (slight odor when left HVAC fan off). While I've had decent 'burritos' at previous Wdnsdy evening buffet events, last week's sodium-laden, heat-n-eat meatball sandwhichs were a disappointment, I went to nearby resturant. ("gift horse" refused) "Friendly" staff often seem a bit too casual (some would say "unprofessional") in public-area for some guests. Seems like there are many long-term stay guests, or area friends, gather each night + hotel seems to host plenty of meeting room functions for local groups. Evenings can feel like you fell into a "family reunion party" or church fellowship function - but not your family or church. (haha) Which may be all well 'n good if you're a gregarious & pro-party person. But most nights I wouldn't expect to visit the lobby to have a focused business discussion or quietly sip some coffee while concentrating on emails. One person's party is another's 'nut house'. <smile> For now, I'll be back (with my multitool) next time. Good value for $$.

Room Tip: Rooms near ends of hallways allow quick access to parking lots via stairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret you had problems with the noise and will take your suggestion to our management meeting. We are also glad to hear you would stay here again and will look forward to seeing your then.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portland, OR
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I absolutely loved this hotel, and it's made me choose Hampton Inns for all my travel. Quiet rooms, nice decor, very comfortable bed & linens, free in-room wifi, free parking, free breakfast & evening receptions. I've stayed in far more expensive hotels that are charging me $10-20 per night for parking and wifi, let alone breakfast. It's the quality of a Hilton for the price of a Holiday Inn Express.

Oh, and the staff? Ridiculously friendly and helpful. A real pleasure. Again, they've made me a believer in the Hampton Brand, and I'm now trying to stay in their hotels for all my travel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
 Here at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson our associates pride themselves on providing excellent guest service and will be pleased to hear they exceeded your expectations! Your review will certainly be shared with them. Thank you.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 3, 2012

DH and I have stayed at this hotel several times, always over holidays, when we were visiting family in the Chicago area. Until this visit, the hotel has always been fine. The beds are comfortable, the staff are cheerful and helpful, and the rooms well appointed. Over the Christmas weekend this year, however, when we checked in, we were handed a sheet of paper informing us that there would be no housekeeping services at all available from 10:00 am Christmas Eve until sometime on the 26th. The manager had decided to give the entire housekeeping staff both days off. So out of a three day stay, we had housekeeping service only one day. There was no notice of this when we made the reservation, and we were not offered any type of discount or other service to compensate for the lack of housekeeping. When housekeeping did return, they did not do a very good job, failing to replace coffee and towels in the room. Also, there was a note in the room stating that they do not replace sheets daily -- only once every fourth day. If that is their policy, it needs to be stated on the website, and the prices need to be reduced accordingly. I don't know if these are cost-cutting measures by an overzealous manager or policies of the chain, but I would think twice about staying at a Hampton again. I received an email asking me to comment on our stay, which I did, but have received no feedback from Hampton about these issues.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Gang Mills, NY
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for the Christmas holiday. We took one of the suites, and it was just what we needed. With two older children, the suite provided us with plenty of room. We had four people using the wi-fi without any problem.
The staff was very friendly and made us feel at home from the time that we checked in to the checkout. With service like theirs we would definitely be coming back.
The fitness room was a pleasant surprise, with new treadmills, a cycling machine, and a good selection for weights.
If there were anything that I would recommend for improvement, it would be the morning breakfast. I was hoping for a better variety, and it was not there. However they are located close to a Cracker Barrel and an IHOP, so we were able to take advantage of that.
With the cleanliness of the rooms and the friendly staff, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone for a family or business trip.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your family, get the suite.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review. We are glad you were happy wiith the cleanliness of the rooms and the friendly staff . We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We have family in the South suburbs of Chicago and always have trouble finding a decent hotel in the area. We decided to expand our parameters and tried this Hampton Inn in Matteson and I'm glad we did. It was comfortable, quiet and clean. The front desk service was excellent -- so friendly and welcoming. We didn't use a lot of the facilities, but what we saw was just right. This is a solid, decent choice for a stay in that area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
We are glad to hear how much you liked our hotel the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson and look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Arlington Heights
Reviewed November 28, 2011

After reading the reviews for the Matteson area, we chose the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Southland hotel and we were very satisfied.
We had a wedding that started at 4:00pm and the check-in time for the hotel was 4:00pm, so when we arrived at 2:45pm, Jennelle made sure that we could get into our room early, even though there were no rooms ready. She really made our stay wonderful, she also ordered a cab for us and even called them back to check where they were when the cab was late, without us asking her her to do so. She was really friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and updated. They even change the bedspread every time a new guest stays there. This is a non-smoking hotel, so all of the rooms will smell clean & fresh. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
 We're always looking for ways to identify star performers on our team here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson and will share your positive review with Jennelle. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 22, 2011

1st of all, I had to stay here for approximately a week and a half on business. The staff was very nice and had a smile and a GOOD attitude, attitude is everything. The hotel is viscerally appealing and once you enter, you notice how nice it is inside. The lounge area is very nice, modern furniture and high ceilings greet you as you walk in. The business center, fitness center, and pool is clean and usually empty! The property is very nice and well maintained, it sits in the back of retails stores (not too many good choices) but there is hope, there is a PANERA BREAD within walking distance.

One thing to note, You get big groups that come through there frequently from what I heard, usually just church groups from out of town. It's pretty quiet in the evening and morning, however you do have to watch out from time to time from people bringing their kids their from time to time to have those sleepover pool parties. So it may get loud in the hallways for about 5 min. and gets annoying but it doesn't compromise the quality of hotel at all, it's just one of those "type" of hotels I guess, but kids will be kids...How can you get mad, 9/10 I'm sure you won't encounter it.

The public bathrooms in the lobby are very clean and smell nice.

Breakfast:

They serve a good complimentary breakfast which was staffed by happy people that looked like they wanted to be there. The juice is typical hotel cranberry cocktail, orange, apple, juice lol....Nothing to rave about. The eggs weren't good ALL. The potatoes were slightly cold. I feel like many hotels that serve complimentary breakfast. If they took the time to actually COOK and scramble the eggs and cook the sausage, it would put them a leg over the competition. However, if breakfast isn't something you typically care about and you're cool with cold breakfast, they have good options : yogurt options, bagels, danishes, cereal, fruit, etc. Keep in mind, you have to past Panera Bread a few feet away to get to the main street. So all is not lost.

If you're rushing they do pack you a brown paper bag consisting of an apple, granola bar, mints, and bottle aquafina water. Nice Touch! Didn't fill the stomach but it was better than nothing and I felt like I was at home which it was a good thing. You want to feel like the front desk person is your wife/mother and is taking care of you while you're away from home.

Big Plus:

They have a a Manager's reception, They Serve Bud Lights and Wine that is complimentary between 5:00-7:30PM. They also had fries, nachos, and oreos while I was there. It was something unexpected and was a great PLUS. The nachos were alright, cheese needed to be warmer. If you're going to have fries, you have to deep fry them (rule of thumb) and it wasn't that good. However they have a huge Plasma TV with satellite in the common breakfast/lounge area where it is held. It was never too crowded.

Room: I've attached photos as you can see. However, to my surprise the room was VERY nice and VERY clean. It was well stocked regularly and cleaned with no problems to note. The room was very spacious (King Studio) and had a nice flat screen TV (with many channel options, MTV, HBO, BET, CNN, ESPN, etc). Again, VERY nice.

All and all it was phenomenal and will return, only problem is it is on the outskirts but it doesn't take long to get to connecting expressways, rarely any traffic until you get to the Dan Ryan. There aren't many food or entertainment options. You'll have to travel about 15-18 minutes to Orland Park or Crestwood for food, movies, shopping,etc.

Last words: Walls can be thin on your late night walk to the ice machine, It doesn't reflect the hotel, but heard a lot of people having sex and screaming, so I guess it's "one of those" hotels as well, LOL...It was never a disrupting problem and the rooms were spotless, you would never know unless of course you were walking to get some ice as I were.

I hope they don't get cocky and drive prices up. Continue to keep customer service and everything else HIGH!

Room Tip: Get the biggest room which is the studio, don't be a cheap scape, spend the extra few dollars, y...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review. We have been working meticulously to ensure guest rooms are clean and comfortable, offering a relaxing place for our guests to enjoy their time at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson. We forward to hosting you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matteson
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Matteson
Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
Hampton Inn Chicago/Tinley Park
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/Tinley Park
La Quinta Inn Chicago Matteson

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson? Share your experiences!