“Unfortunate Disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

Description: Authetic Bavarian Restaurant
O'Fallon, Illinois
“Unfortunate Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Background: I lived in Germany for more than 10yrs on the German economy with a German family. Learned to cook authentic and still cook many German dishes to this day.

Pros: Great atmosphere. German Beers on the Menu, Great attempt to bring a little German back to the US.

Cons: The food isn't worth the price. The pork schnitzel were paper thin. For 12-14 dollars, I expect more than a piece of meat that I have to literally search for underneath a pound of sauce. The cordon bleu was made from what tasted like packaged meat you get from any store with a slice of cheese of similar quality.

I ordered the sampler plate so we get 3 different schnitzels yet each were paper thin, really paper thin. Each about 3x3 inches, around, and more than 1cm thick. These 3 infantile pieces of meat were smothered in 3 different types of sauces. The red cabbage (rote kraut) was drenched with cinnamon. You could not get past the cinnamon in the dish. I had more red cabbage than meat. I've tasted better from a jar. The egg noodles (spatzle) were dry but the only thing I could eat since I had extra sauce. But it was not worth the $14 if that was the only decent item on the plate.

The side salad was a regular lettuce salad, which fit on a dessert plate or bread plate. It was not fresh, nor does it look like the restaurant web site's photo. I saw no fresh seasonings atop of the salad.

The main thing is that even without a full restaurant, it took us an hour from the time we ordered to get our food.

It would be cheaper to order my dish through the internet and cook it myself, plus it would taste better. We went out of our way to find this restaurant with high hopes. I saw the ad in FEAST magazine. I would not recommend this restaurant because of the food portions, the timeliness of food delivery, and the price. I can only rate it for the German them and feel once you enter.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Benld, Illinois
“Best German Food in the Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

After living in germany at various times for over 13 years, this is like a piece of heaven to find this restaurant. It is a bit trickey to find, but once you get there you will be very happy. They have excellant choice of German Beer, the food is all authentic home made meals,the staff all do their best to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The menu is quite extensive from soups (Gulash Soup Excellant) sandwiches all very good, main dishes are excellant Schnitzels aare all excellant my favorite is Rahm schnitzle with spatlze a german noodle, but have tried both the schnitzle sampler and Bravarian roast sampler all food is excellant, a must try is the Bravarian Roast potatos. Staff all wear authentic german cloths and are family or german students.

• Visited July 2011
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Finally, a good German restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

You would think a place as steeped in German heritage as St. Louis would have a plethora of German restaurants. At one time it did, but these days you have to go far and wide to find one. One choice is the Roemer Topf in Mascoutah, Ill. Mascoutah is about a half-hour drive from downtown St. Louis, just east of Scott Air Force Base and Mid-America Airport. It is well worth the drive. The menu includes all the standard German fare, a wide selection of German beers, friendly ambience (including waitresses from Germany), and very reasonable prices. Our party tried a variety of dishes and we all gave them rave reviews. It was a very busy place (reservations on weekends are recommended) and we were there two hours from first sitting down until paying the check--a nice leisurely European pace that gave us plenty of time to visit and try different beers, but left us ravenous by the time our food arrived.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank kansas57
Mascoutah, Illinois
“Great German Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

The owner is military and his wife is from Germany. All of the employees are german, or family. The food is absolutely amazing, the atmosphere is authentic, and they have a great drink selection.

Troy, Illinois
“Many authentic German meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

Everyone at our table liked what they ordered. Interesting decor-alot to look at. There was live entertainment- A very skilled dulcimer player. The staff was dressed in authentic German attire. Good service and everyone was friendly. My wife and I did find the food good but somewhat bland. Over all good experience.

• Visited December 2011