“Nice staff, terrible area”

Southland Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markham
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The staff at this hotel were all nice and helpful this was by far the best thing about this hotel, the room was clean even though everything from the carpet up was old and warn down. The worse thing about the hotel was the area. if you like coming back to the hotel at night and having questionable men hanging out the front and a security guard laying on the couch in the lobby this is the place for you. The whole area around this hotel is run down and full of even more questionable people we had to drive to Orland park to eat and drink. The breakfast was just basic continental which is fine. But I wouldn't stay here again because I just didnt feel safe. Even though I made it through the 2 nights without issue. I really would research the area before booking again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James F
There are newer reviews for Southland Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 7, 2013

From phoning in for my reservation right through to checkout the front desk staff was first class. Unfortunately, there were many maintenance issues with one or more being major. I informed the front desk staff upon checkout in writing. No fridge or microwave in my room - slow internet speeds too. Room was clean.

I'll still recommend this property due to location; one of our major customers is less than two miles away. Cab service was very good and timely despite using pretty well worn out police cars. Only hotel in the area I'm aware of. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Asking for a 'suite' may result in more amenities.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joby1956
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Even though this is a company hotel, I prefer it to another company hotel. It feels homey. They have a lies little cats in the trash outback though. Little things like hot water 24/7 in the breakfast room counts.

Room Tip: Last time upstairs had no wireless, try downstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

It was a spur of the moment stay... just to get out of the house and not have to worry about cleaning up for anything.... even though the hotel is on a kind of a bad area, it was decent! The hotel room was nice to me thing I didn't like was the floors creak when you walked... there was a mini kitchen which I loved having 3 boys a came in hand... the hotel receptionist was very nice and respectful... what I like most what is a continental breakfast... there wasn't too much to choose from but it was perfect :) I enjoyed my stay in the price was awesome it couldnt b beat and I will be having my spur of the moments when I want to get out of the house and I'm for sure going to go back to the Comfort Inn :)

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Meg3192
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

On feb 22 I checked out the most horrible hotel ever and ended up at Comfort Inn in Markham, Illinois. I told Miss Toni our nightmare situation and she went above and beyond to make us happy & comfortable. Toni gave us a nice, clean suite. It made the rest of our stay very pleasant. She will be the reason why we will come again! Love the room, spacious bathroom everything we needed. Breakfast ok. clean & quiet. Worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank MissShalese
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Special request was granted by Tony. It made my stay very comfortable with additional family staying at the hotel. The desk personnel: Tony, Tasha & Gloria were very polite as well. They were very friendly and greated me with a smile. The breakfast was a plus for me. The coffee was hot and they offered a variety as well. Everything was fresh, clean and nicely arranged. My room was very comfortable. The a/c was cold and the bathroom was clean and bright. The pricing was the best I have seen in years. I highly recommend this hotel; especially for the price and comfort. Easy and quick excess to the interstate. Fast food restaurants located within walking distances. No pool available.

Room Tip: Always choose a room away from the elevators, front offices, and ice machines (less noise).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The first room we were given did not have working air so we were offered a suite. We appreciated the offer so we took it. But when we made it to our room we did not have all of the necessities that we needed. We were notified previous to our arrival that we had a new room. The room we had at first had two double beds. The suite had one double bed with a couch that let out into a bed. The bed attach to the couch was horrible. There was a thin pad covered over the springs with no sheets. The springs set up so high they would poke you in your back or side. Not comfortable enough for anyone. Now it is too late to get another room. Then we had no toilet paper and only two dry towels and no sheets for the sofa bed. There is no reason why our room should not have been ready upon our arrival. When we called the desk we had to go down to get everything we needed. You could not get the stopper to work for the tub. The refrigerator barely kept our beverages cold. We left them in our cooler because the freezer did not work. This was the worst suite ever. We checked out early the next morning. "The spring sofa bed was the worst I had ever seen." We will never stay here again. Upon checking out the next morning the young lady at the desk was not friendly at all. "Horrible Hospitality!"

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 4RUN4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Markham
Best Western Chicago Southland
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
La Quinta Inn Chicago Matteson
Red Roof Inn & Suites Monee
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
Quality Inn & Suites Harvey

Been to Southland Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!