“Wonderful local Italian place”

Bennie's Italian Foods
Ranked #16 of 97 Restaurants in Marion
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Bennie's started as a street cart on the street selling tamales. Today that business has grown into one of the best loved restaurants in Marion. While they still offer tamales, what they're really famous for now is there amazing Italian food. Absolutely everything here is good (as long as you like garlic!) The house garlic salad dressing is very good, but very strong. The building is beautiful inside and out, located just off the square in historic old downtown Marion. Great place. It's no wonder it's a favorite with the locals.

1  Thank gmitchell91

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I eat at Bennie's often when in town for a day at antique stores. Nice atmosphere, great food, good and fast service, great value. You just can't go wrong going to Bennie's for lunch!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We came for lunch on Saturday. The hostess sat us in a deserted corner by the kitchen. The menu is large with a lot of options. We had some toasted ravioli for appetizers which was very good but there were 5 raviolis to split between 2 people. We also ordered cheesy bread for an appetizer and again 3 pieces of what seemed like frozen texas toast bread for 2 people. I ordered the Greek salad which by itself was OK however in my opinion a Greek salad should have kalamata olives not regular black olives and they also had eggs on it which tasted odd. If I had just ordered a regular salad I wouldn't have been disappointed but for a "Greek" salad I was. The flavor was just wrong. My husband had the Philly sandwich that he liked. Overall the food tasted good it just wasn't what I expected. Most restaurants offer bread complimentary. We paid 30 dollars for our lunch that realistically shouldn't have been more than 20 for what we got.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Bennie's has a friendly relaxed atmosphere that I enjoy, but at the same time it has sort of an upscale atmosphere also. In other words, it does not have the peanuts on the wood floor kind of informal hillbilly décor you see some places (and I don't mind that at those other places, just trying to describe it accurately), yet the atmosphere is not real uppity or stiff. You can have fun here. Food is very good, pretty wide assortment. Everybody should be able to find something on the menu to suit them. Fish, burgers, sandwiches, pasta, pizza. I often have the salmon. It is excellent. And I get the house salad with Bennie's dressing. You better love garlic if you get that one though !!!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Bennie's Italian Foods has been a long time staple of the Marion area when it comes to Italian food. Owners John and Lynn Hill regularly mill about the restaurant taking the time to meet and converse with their customers, all the while taking the time to be sure that the meal they ordered is meeting their expectations. During our recent visit I had the baked lasagna and my wife had had the chicken fettuccine. Both orders were cooked to perfection. The service was fast and friendly. The prices are somewhat high but still reasonable considering the portions received. We will be back.

Been to Bennie's Italian Foods? Share your experiences!