“Nice hotel for a good price”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marion
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Marion
“Nice hotel for a good price”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Hotel was very clean. Staff very nice. Room very quiet. Pillows a little too soft but bed was comfy Loved the chocolate chip cookies at check in! Pool was pretty nice but bottom needed to be painted in some spots. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
dwight illinois
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The staff at the Country Inn and Suites couldn't have been more accomidating. The rooms were clean, and the location - accross the street from the 17th Street barbecue restaurant was fabulous. There is currently road construction on the I57 bridge which can make it a bit difficult to get there, but it is worth the effort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Superb service and great place to stay. This property is well managed with great service. Very clean and just overall nice especially for this area.

• Stayed May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This was our first stay at a Country Inn Suites. When we arrived the staff was very welcoming and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy. I have never been greeted more warmly at a hotel and was pleasantly surprised. There were freshly baked chocolate chip cookies at the desk and coffee and tea available at all times!

The pool and hot tub looked very clean and many people were enjoying themselves.

The room was very clean and comfortable. The sheets were not very high thread count...maybe 300. The pillows were very nice feather pillows, however I am allergic to feathers. I called the desk and they very promptly replaced my pillows with regular pillows and were very kind in the process.

The cable was very basic which is not a big deal to me since I usually read, but if you want to watch TV you might be disappointed.

In the morning, the breakfast was very average. To be fair, we were there on a weekend when I believe every hotel in town was sold out due to graduation. There were not many choices and the coffee ran out several times. They were quick to replace it and very apologetic, but they had a very difficult time keeping up with the crowd. The breakfast room is very large and every table was full. I am sure on a normal day it is much better. I do wish hotels would use real eggs!!!

Here is where the "poor" rating comes in...while we were packing up and getting ready to check out my ankles were itchy. I had not really stopped to consider why until I noticed a dog in the lobby. Yes, I had flea bites! I guess that is the chance you take if you go to a pet friendly hotel. It is now 2 days later and I am still itchy! I don't think it was worth the $175 I paid for the room. Tomorrow I am going to call the hotel to let them know. I did not tell them while I was there because there was a very long line and we needed to leave.

I wish there were a separate rating for service because truly everyone we encountered at the hotel was extremely kind and welcoming...unfortunately the fleas were also friendly! Beware!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor. The attendant told us those rooms are used less often and cleane...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smocky99
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed May 2, 2012

From the moment we arrived till the moment we left, we were extremely happy with this hotel. While pulling into the parking lot of the hotel, right away we could tell this hotel meant business. Very nice landscaping, trash free, and an overall pleasant looking hotel. We were promptly greeted and assisted as soon as we walked through the lobby doors. Both front desk personnel were professional and a pleasure to deal with. We were checked in and off to our rooms in a short period of time. (The chocolate chip cookies at the front desk at the bomb!) The hallways were clean and smelled fresh. Once we were settled in the room, the phone rang and it was the front desk checking to ensure our room was to our liking -- awesome!

The next morning we were able to have a nice breakfast downstairs in the lobby. Many tables for guests to sit with a complimentary USA Today. Breakfast area was well stocked, clean and pretty good food. The lady working the breakfast area was really working hard and was really nice while busting her butt to ensure enough food was available.

We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlepagej
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Very nice and new. Rooms were clean and spacious. Nice bathrooms with Pantene shampoo/conditioner. Nice adjustable shower head. Indoor pool (didn't use but it was there and they even had water aerobics classes.) Small gym available. Free breakfast was good, especially the "Golden Malted" waffle batter. Would like to have a box of that for myself. Convenient location in Marion. Close to restaurants and the interstate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank xtine16
New Lenox, IL
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed at the Country Inn with my dog and was very pleased. The Inn does charge $15.00 extra for a pet, but it was worth it. The beds are comfortable although I did have a bit of a problem with the people in the room above me stomping around. Getting a room on a higher floor would solve that.

Very clean, nice decor and a very good breakfast. I usually stay at Hamptons and the breakfast at the Country Inn is much better.

Several restaurants within easy walking distance is a plus when you've been on the road all day and don't want to get back in the car.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor will keep you form hearing the people above you stomping around.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple