“Just perfect.”

Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort
Reviewed April 22, 2013

When we arrived, Monica welcomed us by saying "welcome to our little paradise". And so it was. Beautiful quiet place, great diving, excellent food, great for kajak excursions. Perfect service. We loved it.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the the private bungalows, more quiet and private.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S_Leo_S_Leo

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Like many other reviews of Philippines resorts, I will begin by saying that if you want a 5 star experience, this place, like many others, is not the place to go. Even the owners (Ulf and Monica) of this fine establishment will tell you the same thing.

Like many others, it has limited power (6pm - 6am), no hot water, and limited cushy conveniences. No A/C, so its still hot sleeping at night. But for me, it has soul, great value, and is a perfect base for adventures to surrounding islands and dive sites.

I read some reviews about how the owners are a bit aloof (or other negative comments), but for me, they are people who are doing this as a lifestyle, are proud of the place they built, and quite simply, do not suffer fools gladly. Which is ok by me, as I understand their point of view.

I was there mid December, 2012.

The service of getting me from, and back to, Busuanga airport was also great. Some reviewers have complained about waiting, being held up for others to arrive, but hey - look where you are! You need to consider it is a 45 minute van ride, and about an hour by boat, and it does not make sense for them to accommodate everyone individually. They really do their best to juggle various transportation challenges. Be patient - you will be rewarded.

Bottom line, if you want an "off the grid" experience, and can handle the above, I believe you will really enjoy this place. I met some great people, had great boating and dive experiences, and enjoyed the locally sourced food very much.

I mentioned to Monica how I loved the potatoes, and was treated to a different method of them being prepared at every meal following my comment! I really think they undersell the food aspect here, as I really appreciate the focus on sustainability, and felt they not only had plenty of choices, but the preparation and presentation was excellent.

The service was also very good, especially the two beautiful girls in the bar / restaurant. Always smiling and attentive, they were very nice to put up with the group of new friends I made, that drank too much and laughed too loud.

As a single traveler, the owners invited me to eat and drink with them, which helped me form some other friendships with families from Sweden and New Zealand. We all had a blast.

We put together a trip to "Black Island", which after diving for 25 years, was one of the best experiences I have had ANYWHERE. Again, the boat and dive teams were top notch, and I felt that the value was very good. The comments I read about it being expensive don't really make sense to me.

The cost of that trip was fairly divided between the divers and non-divers, and everyone sure seemed pleased. When you look at what it must cost to run a remote place like this, I would not begrudge the owners a chance to make some money on additional services like these.

The boat captain was a real highlight for me. He really was the genuine article, and treated me like a friend. Big smile, big heart, and a great captain. When I gave him my sunglasses at departure, he had tears in his eyes as he gave me a hug.

As for the "nothing to do at night" comments I read, hey - no kidding! So at dinner time, eat your delicious food, have a couple drinks, chat with people from all over the world, and if you are lucky enough to be there with a companion, go love each other and get some rest. If you want a disco, you should not be there.

You are on a remote island, and for the most part are there to enjoy the daytime activities, which even if you are not a diver, there are plenty.

The "house reef" out front is as good as many other places I have been that you have to take a boat to see! The pier out front is a perfect launching spot for some fantastic snorkeling, and you can swim to a nice little floating dock for some tanning.

We did a trip to the "Wrecks of Coron", which is famous to divers worldwide. Again, a safe and professional team, reasonably priced, with good equipment. For me, it was a "bucket list" event that I will remember forever.

While there is not a true "resort type beach" in front, I thought it was good, and they have lots of cabana space that is comfortable. A short walk to the other side of the island will reward you with a great beach escape. The kayaks are free to use, and you can easily get to some even more remote spots in a half hour or less.

The rooms are basic but clean, my little beachfront cabin had a great sunrise view from the porch that touched the water at high tide. For the price paid, I think the value was fantastic.

By the way, I had internet while I was there, and as long as you go near the office, its fine. Again, remember you are off the grid, living off a generator. If you really need to be linked in all the time, you should not be considering going anywhere like this in the first place!

I hope to return again, as there are some other islands nearby I want to discover, and some of the nicest, most unspoiled reef I have seen in quite some time.

Yes, in spite of what I have detailed, I rendered it 4 out of 5. This is only because I don't want people simply seeing the 5 stars and expecting a butler to come and serve them.

Hello to Ulf and Monica from "the old hippie" Dave.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank the_Janadians
Reviewed March 13, 2013

It's a small paradise. Very nice bungalows with beautiful views. Great staff and service. A bit pricy and the food is ok.
But the snorkeling on the housereef is super! Very healthy reef and lots of fish. And the diving with Steve and Gerald is the best. The wrecks are amazing and just a boatride away.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our stay in coral bay was more than we ever expected. We were prepared for the isolation of the place, as well as the lack of airconditioning and televisions in the room. When we arrived, however, we found that we didn't even miss them! The island runs on fuel and a generator so it is quite understandable why there is no power during the day, and to be frank, you don't miss the electricity anyway because you are usually outside.

Perhaps it is also because of the lack of these modern conveniences that the owners were able to maintain the unspoiled beauty of the island. Although there is a limited beach line, you can easily kayak to nearby islands or to a different part of the island in order to truly enjoy a wide expanse of white sand. One of the best parts of the place was its quiet! None of the noise, loud partying, etc. that you would find in popular beaches like Palawan -- which is just the way we wanted it. It was populated mostly by foreign travelers looking for a PADI certification or some peace and quiet in a remote island, and we were the only Filipinos there. All of the wait staff are Filipinos and service was always done with a friendly smile. Because of our great experience, we will definitely be back on the latter part of the year!

Tip: This island is better suited for small groups of friends, solo travelers, or couples because of its quiet. Large, noisy groups of friends looking for parties, or groups traveling with plenty of small children needing care will probably not enjoy it as much. Also, be prepared for the trip from the airport to the island. . . 45 minutes by van and another 45 minutes by boat. It was all worth it though!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lissinmanila
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at Coral Bay Resort and am starting to wonder if I was at a different resort to the previous poster.

We found the resort to be beautiful, relaxing and well maintained, particularly taking into account the remote location.

Our transfers went smoothly, in fact at the last minute the resort arranged for us to have an afternoon transfer instead of a morning one as we had missed our tour of Kayangan Lake the previous day due to a late flight and this way we could do it before our transfer.

The rooms were clean and comfortable (loved the hammock on the terrace). Yes, there is no aircon or TV in the room but to me that is part of the beauty. This, the cold showers and the limited power are all clearly indicated on the website.

The food was plentiful and varied. Some of the dishes I thought just ok, but others were really good. Overall nothing to complain about (except maybe to recommend a better brand of coffee - but I freely admit I am a coffee snob and prefer not to drink instant at the best of times).

I particularly commend the dive crew. The staff were professional, the gear was good and well maintained and the dive sites were great. Having a reef and wreck right off the front of the resort was great, both for snorkelling and diving.

I did have some reservations prior to booking about the bad reviews for this resort, but on reading I came to the conclusion that most of them were based on a single incident, more often than not caused by the poster. Remote resorts without all the bells and whistles aren't for everyone, but if you like that sort of thing I would recommend this one.

Room Tip: Try and book a room with a direct view to the sea.
3  Thank ShazDwn
Monica w, Owner at Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you All for making our efforts and ideas worth doing, by sharing your good experience with others.
We love the place, the sea, the people, - and do wish to make a difference for those who work for us,with us and all guests visiting, -
we all try to give our guests the best stay, in a very special area with amazing wonderful unspoiled nature. Resort running as green as possible, and still be comfortable with great rooms direct to the sea, great dive center and great food.
Hope to share this with you another time.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Upon traveling many hours into the feeling of distance, the final boat trip lets you collect your thoughts, while the islands float past you in a steady pace.

The further you get, the more colours emerge, excitement starts to build - expectations are beginning to rise, the development of some island resorts on the way gives a hint of what lyes ahead.

After several guesses of where we might be going, it becomes obvious as we sail straight towards a Large "three peak" island....

You start to scout and try to connect the pictures in your head with what slowly builds up as you get closer -

But all is forgotten as you see pure green and blue water floating into the pure white sands of the beatch - the roof of the huts sway in the wind in perfect syncrony with the large shades of the waterfrobt palms.

The white bridge which feels like the stairway to heaven lets you in to a realm of beauty, everywhere the landscaping has nursed every little detail to make the resort blend into the shapes of nature !

Smiles and greetings, oases that makes you feel you are all alone on the island, food of the plenty with the taste of richness, music of the wind and nothing more, trips for the explorer and underwater paradise for the Tritton of travelers.

All my heart goes out for this place and the ones who share it as it was their home -

For the divers - this is but the only place you should be, not to say the least Coralbay has the most energetic and passioned Dive Instructor I have ever come across !!!!

Safe travels and be well

Kind regards C.Winther

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Winther73
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pros:
- Extremely quiet
- Good atmosphere and character
- Friendly staff

Cons:
- Far away from the beauty of Coron and its surrounding islands
- No compassion to assist us with our transfer to the island (which is stated "included" in the costs), even though we advised our arrival 2 months in advance, the manager only sent an email advising there would be a transfer available the night before where we had no access to wifi to know that this could have been arranged, so we had to make our own arrangement to the island, which was very expensive to get to on our own.
- 4 star pricing for only 2 star service
- Standard facilities (no air con, no tv, no electricity during the day)
- Unprofessional and horrible rude management in comparison to how we had been treated at every other resort we stayed at in the Philippines.
- No affection for hospitality (no welcome and proper introduction, no arrangements for my birthday despite prior notice)
- Tasteless and absolutely boring buffet (dinner was a culinary nightmare and only the birds that were sitting on the dry fish during lunch appreciated it)
- Bad maintenance of equipment and facilities (pool table didn't work, toilet flush was broken, kayaks are in really bad shape - we could have drowned, after swimming at least 2km's pushing the kayak as it was no longer rideable due to a crack in the kayak and we also lost our stuff) When we complained about the kayak, the manager didn't want to hear what we had to say, she grumpily asked us what we wanted to do, we told her we wanted her to make us happy again and she couldn't even suggest a simple thing like perhaps a massage or even a meal, she was however very quick to dismiss us off the island, very unprofessional..
- Completely overpriced (food, rooms, resort, service and setting don't make up for the ridiculous prices)

Worst of all: all this is already mentioned in the other bad reviews, however the management manipulates the facts in the reply.

This place is unprofessional. DONT GO THERE!!

5  Thank BenjaminWill
Monica w, Manager at Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'll try to answer as nice as possible.
1. Transfer: We have 2 free transfers a day, time benefitting the flight arrivals and departures , it is stated clearly on the web-site , on your voucher. And by mail direct to you..
You did not want to join the schedule, and mailed, that you would come by your self, because you had a day trip. - Your choice!
I mailed you 2 days before, that the Van would be able to make an extra trip for you - which you apparently did not see. From us, Extra Service!
2.Welcoming: You were welcomed in our reception, at the very end of our pier ,by 2 sweet girls, that ...I'm sure was ready to answer all possible questions you may have had.
- And checked you into...private cottage no 5, - which has only perfect reviews everywhere on ALL the travel sites. Our front disk officer took you all the way into your cottage door.
3. Aircon, TV : I really do hope, that you read we do not have that - in ANY rooms here, - All stated on the web-site, and all inclusions for your stay is stated on your voucher...
(We actually do have a 40 inch. TV with 52 channels in the library, free for all - 24 hours / .Info for any new readers / future guests: We will beside fan cottages - have Aircon Cottages (new) available, they will be visible on the web site from July 2013.)
Electricity: It is stated clearly, that We run power 24 hours in Restaurant area, AND 6pm to 6am on the rest of the resort. -
3.If we are unprofessional ? - I do not know, but we try our best to make it as close to paradise as we can. Paradise has a different look for each individual! - We can only make it as we see it, change what people suggest , and hope people like it.
4.Birthday: We can do anything, but people need to ask and order their wishes. - We have employees everywhere, restaurant, bar, reception, rooms...lots of choices for questions and requests.
In your mail you asked for possibility, no order, price or confirmation for anything.
5.Tasteless Food?? A whole buffet, with (I think) great mix of east / west / seafood / fruit / cake, was there for you, 3 times a day! - Amazing if you are used to better.
6. Bad maintenance? - You are in a 3rd world country, maybe that has to be considered.
My personal point of view is that it is a beautiful resort, well maintained, made with care of local materials and western comfort, right In the middle of Coral Reefs, desert islands and white beaches. -
If your toilet did not flush...we do have people that fix that ,same second you say so, most of the times it is caused by people putting paper in the bowl.
About your kayak tour, you made it very difficult for me, by threatening with...THIS review on Trip Advisor, - AND That you are working in Marketing service / trip advisor??, AND that you were able (had the power ) to have us completely removed from Trip Advisor?? - IF I did not made your whole stay free, -you would even law sue us, AND you would not pay a penny for your stay - When I asked what you wanted me to do for you, because you were yelling all the time???
To suggest in your review, that I should have suggested free meal, which is already all included, i find strange to write. ....Or Free massage??? Maybe I could have suggested that, if you were not extremely hostile and loud from first second, even our dive instructor panicked, speaking to you.
You completely denied to pay anything!!! -.
All Because you flip in a kayak?
You signed for, that you are responsible for the kayak, and not go any further than your abilities, that it is your own responsibility.- Maybe that was the point? You were afraid I would charge you for lost mask/snorkel and broken / lost kayak?? -Which you left on the other side of the island around 500 m from the resort, not swimming 2 km. You flipped just outside the beach (surf ??), and walked back!
Never the less, you wanted to leave the island immediately, and I prepared a boat for you. Actually, I did not find your behaviour pleasant or nice at all, so after both of you yelling and threatening me with law sue and Trip Advisor, maybe I really did not see any point in further conversation or the pleasure of having or offering you anything here.
I am sorry we could not please you, but hope you had a great time in Coron.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Popototan Island
Busuanga Bay Lodge
Busuanga Bay Lodge
#1 of 1 in Concepcion
Two Seasons Coron Island Resort & Spa
Two Seasons Coron Island Resort ...
#1 of 1 in Bulalacao Island
Two Seasons Coron Bayside Hotel
Chindonan Dive Resort
Chindonan Dive Resort
#1 of 1 in Chindonan Island

Been to Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!