“We Were Alarmed When We Arrived”
Review of Rodeway Inn Lyons

Rodeway Inn Lyons
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lyons
Reviewed May 7, 2008

The motel could not find our reservation until I went to the car and came back with the printed reservation confirmation. I had phoned the motel that morning to confirm the reservation and had secured their agreement to provide a microwave and a refrigerator. It was the smallest refrigerator I have ever seen.

When we turned on some lights, the television, the refrigerator, the microwave and my wife's hair dryer, the power blew. It also blew the plug-in socket for the hair dryer.

We could see daylight coming through under the front door, which might be an issue in really hot or cold weather, but it was not a comfort issue for us.

Other than that, all but one of the front desk people were very friendly and helpful, and the room was very nicely remodeled in French impressionist style and looked beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 14, 2008

The Rodeway Inn was quite a pleasant surprise. We booked the hotel on line because of the great price and proximity to downtown Chicago. When we arrived the front desk staff was extremely helpful and efficent. The room was newly remodeled and very clean. The breakfast was basic but more than adequate for the very reasonable price. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice place at a very reasonable rate very close to Chicago or Midway airport.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Got these rooms for free and it wasn't worth it! When we arrived, we were checked into a room with someone already in it-sleeping! Then we stayed for two nights and had no hot water in the shower...had to wash
up using the regular sink. The rooms also stank like BO and the pool (though we'd never use it in freezing temperatures that time of year) was filled with algae and other non-identifiable matter. Avoid at all costs-even if you aren't paying!

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night during the Chicago Marathon. Fortunately it was not the night before the race. Here are the positives and negatives of my stay.

Positives
1. It was quiet, for the most part.
2. The bathroom was clean and the tub drained well.
3. The vanity area outside the bathroom was large.
4. The free wireless internet worked great!
5. A couple of shops within walking distance (Walgreens, Starbucks, Burger King).
6. Cable television offers several channels.

Negatives
1. It took over 1 1/2 hours to get there by bus from Midway Airport.
2. The room smelled very musty.
3. No refrigerator or microwave.
4. The bus system does not travel in the area during the weekend. I had to walk over 10 blocks to the train station to get into town.
5. There were two desk attendants. One was very helpful while the other one didn't know much and did not seem very competent.
6. My bed sheets were somewhat dirty as there was hair found on the sheets. I asked to get them changed. I walked to one of the nearby stores and an hour later returned to find that the sheets were not changed. I asked the attendant about it and she called housekeeping again. They showed up and didn't think they were dirty but I couldn't
understand everything they said because they didn't speak english. They eventually changed the sheets with brand new ones.

Overall it was okay, but I probably won't stay here in the future for
the reasons listed above.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank musicfan88
Reviewed August 28, 2007

This motel is a little out of the way and dated on the outside. The staff was polite, the room was nice, and I didn't hear a peep from neighbors or the parking lot. It was all I expected it to be. The room was recently updated and I was pleased with the performance of the shower, etc.
My room didn't have an iron or hair dryer, and I didn't check to see if I could get either because I didn't have a need for them. There was also no breakfast.
I recommend the motel. But, Chicago is a large city with extensive traffic congestion, so my advice would be to make location a priority in choosing a place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank Billmissouri
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Sooo...lets see whap...TRUCK STOP!!!
For Rodeway Inn to be a part of a major chain, this place sucked.
The location is HORRIBLE, there is NOTHING worth doing or seeing in the immediate area.
The room...WHY in the world was the sink at the foot of my bed?
The AC...Jose had to come to the room to adjust the the temperture with a plier.
At one point we changed rooms and the new room had a mirror on the ceiling...can anyone say 'Pimp Daddy'???
Now I stayed here with a very hot and sexy male friend and I have to say...him picking this location TOTALLY took a few kool points from his hot sexy 6'4" frame...LOL
I do NOT recommend this Inn to anyone for any reason or any amount of time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Turtulle
donald12, gm.il290 at Rodeway Inn Lyons, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2008

thank you for your stay and review.
i am not sure what anything has to do with a truck stop?
we are located close to I290, and I55, which both take you to chicago within about a 20 minute drive.
all of the air conditioners, and heaters have been replaced with new central air, and heat.
none of the rooms have any sinks in the middle of the room, they are all positioned on the walls just like you find at any establishment.
thanks.

Reviewed July 5, 2007

Bring a Flamethrower. The rooms smell like animals, trucker, cigarettes, and spilled beer. I had to trade rooms at least 3 times just to find one that had a bearable odor. The air conditioning unit did not have any knob or controls or even a plug (1960 design?) and was always freezing, even in July. The pool was the storage area for all of their construction materials while they were renovating, WHICH NO ONE MENTIONED. The building looked and felt like a treehouse that my father built, except the treehouse didn't have a "sink" at the foot of my bed....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NotTooPicky-butCMon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyons
Hampton Inn Chicago/Westchester (Oak Brook)
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside
Super 8 Bridgeview/Chicago Area
Best Western Plus Oakbrook Inn

Been to Rodeway Inn Lyons? Share your experiences!