“Beef-a-Licious” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beef-a-Roo

Beef-a-Roo
Ranked #12 of 72 Restaurants in Loves Park
Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Beloit, Wisconsin
“Beef-a-Licious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've eaten at a couple of branches of this chain over the years; could've sworn it was bigger, but their website only lists 7 locations. Well, maybe they should stay small - certainly they've maintained a higher level of quality than any of the big-name national fast food chains that I know.

I'll repeat: this is fast food. I say this because I rarely eat at fast food chains, and if you look at my profile and reviews, you won't see many - and I doubt you'll see any others that I rate above three stars. But Beef-a-Roo from my experience is always clean, with service a little friendlier and more helpful than at most chains (our server took time to patiently explain a couple of sandwiches to my mother, who is easily perplexed by any menu that's new to her), and wait times no longer than McDonalds, Wendys, etc.

And the food is really pretty good. Not sit-down-cafe good, but more "real" tasting than most burger chains, with more healthy options, better-than-average fries and onion rings, and a relatively varied menu. Props for having four cheese choices (American/Swiss/Cheddar/Havarti) for their sandwiches. I typically get big roast beef, which is juicy and beefy enough, and only a little too salty. The bun is fairly fresh and doesn't fall apart as quickly as it could with all the juicy meat.

There's a slew of interesting restaurants along this stretch of Riverside, and Beef-a-Roo is certainly not the best of 'em, but if you've got less time or money, it's definitely a better choice in my opinion than BK, McD, or the other artery cloggers.

• Visited September 2013