“The food is good but the fleecing ruins the experience”

House of India Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 73 Restaurants in Loves Park
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Rockford, Illinois, United States
“The food is good but the fleecing ruins the experience”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I'm from Chicago where Devon av. and all of its Indian fabulousness is near. I'm not a economist but I understand the whole supply and demand principle. India House is the only place where a Rockfordite (did I really just use that horrible word?) can get their Indian fix. The Taste of India closed (probably because of its exorbitant prices). While the food is pretty good, it's almost four times the price as it is in Chicago (at similar venues). You could probably break even (in terms of gas) by driving to Chicago and eat at the likes of ghareeb nawaz where you can get biryani for 4 bucks and samosas for 50 cents. Here, you are going to pay 30 to 40 bucks for two people to eat.

Seriously, I'm glad to pay 16 bucks a place in a place where the ambiance is commensurate with prices. Here, it feels like you are eating in 80s style Greek restaurant with jacked up prices. Take a few minutes to learn a few Indian recipes to whip up at home.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Catherine B

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Indian food in town”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My family and I have been eating at this India house for years now and it's our favorite spot to eat at in all of Rockford. Every dish is well made and chicken tikka masala is best I have ever had. If your new to Indian food or have been eating Indian food all your life, India house is a must go.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Akm3
Kewaskum, Wisconsin
“Traveling from out of town”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We found India House via a web search. I have had Indian food before in Milwaukee and was traveling to the Rockford area with my family. They had not eaten Indian food before.

We ordered the Cheese Pakora, Butter Chicken, Chicken Korma, Chicken Tandori, a vegetable dish, naan and rice.

The food was outstanding! The wait staff was wonderful and the chef even visited our table. He said that he had been cooking for 26 years with 14 here. All were very pleasant and worked hard to offer a fantastic dining experience. If I lived in Rockford, I would be here every week!

This place is a real treasure.

• Visited July 2013
Beloit, Wisconsin
“Still My Favorite”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

India House continues to be my favorite Indian restaurant! I love the spicy food and varied selections of the noon buffet. I never liked lentils or chickpeas until had them here, and now those items rank among my favorites because they are so wonderfully seasoned. Family owner and servers are very friendly and accommodating, making special dishes for my friends and inviting us into the kitchen to watch the food preparation.

• Visited May 2013
DeKalb
“Good tastes and value”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

For at least 2-3 years we have eaten at this restaurant with the same group of friends and have never been disappointed. The menu is extensive and the taste and flavors range from mild to hot depending upon one's preferences. We have sampled many dishes including Tandoori chicken, various Tikka Masalas, Tikkas, soups (which are rich and fragrant), Naans, and rice preparations. Except for the appetizers, which seem less impressive than the main courses, all have been satisfying. On each of our visits there have been families with young children.
The staff is attentive and helpful.
We usually go during the week, so I am unable to assess noise levels and other features during the busier weekend hours.

• Visited March 2013