“Very nice!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Very nice!”
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I gotta say that the previous reviews were a little mixed and I wasn't 100% sure when I made my reservation. This Westin was EXCELLENT! With 1 convention, 3 weddings and the usual Friday and Saturday night crowds coming and going all day/evening long, it could have been awful but it was great. The room was clean, everything was new, the view from the 13th floor was breautiful, and it was blessedly quiet. The beds were comfortable and the noise from the hallway was minimal. The doors do close a bit loudly but it didn't go on all night and we didn't find it a problem (but I know that can go either way depending on the other guests on the floor). We ate at Harry Caray's for dinner and at Holy Mackerel! for both breakfasts and were completely happy with the service and food. We also had dinner at the nearby McCormick & Schmick's and it was superb. We'll definitely return...probably for a little holiday shopping, entertainment, etc.

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 21, 2009

This Westin exceeds the usual standards of a Westin. The room was well appointed - large, with an excellent bed, fabulous view, and a large bathroom. It was a pleasure to come back to at the end of a long day. I stayed here for 4 nights and find it hard to think of any fault. The service at this hotel was excellent. When I called to ask for a razor I believe they brought me one in less than 5 minutes.
The only thing I did not rate this hotel a 5/5 for was value, as it was a little pricey for room service and for Internet service. Nonetheless I got my room on Priceline for $65 a night and there were no sneaky extra charges added (as happened at the awful Westin in Las Vegas). A friend got her room for $60 in April and for $50 in February. The location is perfect with an excellent mall within easy walking distance.
This is truly a 4 star hotel and slightly above the Westin standard, which I feel is usually excellent. Although my faith in the brand was shattered by the one in Vegas. I don't think it will recover. I will however revisit this hotel on my next visit to this area of Chicago.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lonecoyote74
Claymont, Delaware
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The atmosphere of this Westin is very lovely. Water wall in the lobby, lighted projected signage, scented air, non-imposing check in desks with jelly beans, plants and trees in lobby, restful colors in the rooms, nice sun shades in the rooms.

The linens on the beds and towels were luxurious. The bed was very comfortable as well. I appreciate a room with a thermostat and quiet running heater/ac. And this room had a window that could open as well. There was a thick robe to use in the bathroom as well. The toiletries were nice and nicely scented, although not replaced daily. Come on, how stingy can you get?

There was a mini-bar in the room. That space should have been a fridge. Wasted on a mini-bar.

The flat screen tv was very nice too.

NO free high speed internet. This is a pet peeve of mine. If "lower end" hotels can offer this why can't the Westins and Marriotts? Honestly, I would choose a lower end hotel to get this feature;it bothers me so much when it is not offered in higher end places.

Parking was ok, inside, thank goodness on a bad Chicago-weather weekend.

Room was quiet, halls were generally quiet, but doors could bang.

Pool seemed nice, but full of teens there for a conference. We opted out. Small but nice work out room, too.

Check in staff lady seemed detached and uninterested in us. However, other staff people were fine and friendly.

I am left with a rather ambivalent feeling from this place. Some really nice touches, and some just forgotten or annoying.

Annoying was the INCESSANT "Green" reminders ALL over the place. Way to PC for me. Come on. You don't want to wash our towels and sheets every day to save YOU money!! When I pay this much for a room, I expect my towels and sheets to be changed every day without my having to place cards and hanging things to tell the staff to do so.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Splanky
Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2009

This is an overpriced hotel. It is nice that it is new, but you better be a hard sleeper because all the room doors close fast and hard - thud, thud, thud, all night. Hallway very echoey. Nice mall right there, but this place is too expensive. Bellman too busy chatting to a friend to acknowledge my need for assistance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank sleepy40
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Attended a conference her with a colleague. We were very happy with our accommodations. Rooms weren't over the top fantastic, but they were still wonderful. Lobby is beautiful. Conference area was excellent, along with the food provided. A few miles driving distance to shopping.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank BananaBuzzbomb
St Paul
Reviewed February 9, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights for a business trip. No bellman to help with bags. Finally found the front desk? Pretty much a kiosk at the back of the hotel. Fine with checking in. Room was ok. Everything very expensive. Got a burger from room service for $22.23. To deliver to the room was $4.50. Mini bar to wash it down with a Diet Pepsi was $3.50. Called on the temperature of the Mini Bar/Fridge because everything in it that was edible was moldy. Was told it was not a Fridge but a beverage cooler. Interesting. Bed was find...but the heavenly sheets gave me and a good majority of my business traveling companions an enormous rash. The heavenly robe was torn and so scratchy that I could not even keep it on my rash stricken body. Because I was there for work, and not paying for the room, I over looked alot of things. But when I went to check out and then get a bellman? What a joke. The bellman was too concerned about what he and his buddy were doing that night. I finally flagged my own cab and hauled my own luggage to the curb. I have stayed at many Weston's before that were steller. AKA Detroit Airport. This was truely disappointing, and I know for a fact the next time we are at our Corporate site in Lombard, we will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank KateStPaul
Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We stayed here as part of a Travelocity package over the Christmas holiday. It didn't feel like a Westin but more like a wanna-be upscale Hyatt, if that makes sense. What we liked about it was the fact that it's a new property and about 10 minutes from family. It's also in an awesome location. A stone's throw from Yorktown Mall, the movie theater, Target and a ton of other stores and restaurants. There's a Harry Carry and a seafood restaurant in the building. The room we had, No. 644, was a corner unit with two windows and very spacious but pretty basic. On a clear day you could see the Chicago skyline. Nice lare comfy bed, of course, and a flat screen tv, which is pretty standard. Double shower heads were nice but not enough space to hang towels. Only one towel rack and that was in the shower.

• Liked — Location, new property
  • Stayed December 2008
2 Thank DallasTricia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lombard
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Lombard/Oak Brook
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center? Share your experiences!