“A Big Disappointment”

Omega Pancake House
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Decided to stop and get something to eat and the atmosphere was cold and unwelcoming. The owners are definitely micromanagers which made for an uncomfortable dining experience. A huge disconnect between the workers and the owners. It was apparent that its not about the client but how much they can exploit their workers. Won't be returning and will discourage friends from dining there.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

A poor experience at this restaurant today inspired me to share this review. My mother and I stopped here for lunch today. My mother has Celiac, which means she is gluten intolerant. The skillet she ordered comes with pancakes or toast. She told the waitress that she was allergic and asked to substitute some juice or fruit or something without flour. The waitress told her she could not do that. Many of the other local family restaurants will make a substitution for her allergy, so I asked to speak with the manager. The waitress left for a moment and came back to say the manager would not come to the table, and he said no substitutions. I asked who was the manager and she pointed him out. I approached him (another staff member told me his name was Jim), he was sitting at the bar/counter in the back chatting with a customer. I asked him if he was the manager who would not come to our table to address our concern. He said yes. I told him that it is not acceptable that he would not accommodate someone with a food allergy. He told me that toast is complimentary and they cannot substitute juice for that. I told him that was very unaccommodating and unacceptable. He shrugged and held up his hands as if to say, oh well.

I then took my son to the restroom to change his diaper, and found there is no changing station. Not very accommodating for a "family" restaurant.

While I was in the restroom my mother noticed a large milk stain on the inside of my water glass that she could scrape away with the straw. She pointed this out to the waitress who quickly replaced my water with a clean glass.

Finally, the staff kept storing extra chairs next to our booth, which we later noticed was blocking an emergency exit for the (very crowded) building.

The food was okay, but nothing to go out of your way for. The other staff members that we talked to were apologetic for how the manager treated us and seemed embarrassed about the poor customer service, but also seemed scared of him. The staff member who told me his name said "don't tell him I told you".

In summary, this experience has shown me that the management of this restaurant violates health code, fire code, and lacks basic customer service. It is unfortunate for Omega that the "manager" was too lazy to address a customer concern, because he clearly does not value his customers. It only would have cost them a few cents to provide a small glass of tomato juice to keep a repeat customer happy. Instead, after this disappointing experience they have lost two customers, and we will strongly encourage everyone we know to take their business elsewhere as well.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We were in town for a convention and had time for a leisurely breakfast. We had been told about Omega Pancake House and decided to try it. It reminded me of a small-town diner: nothing fancy, but generous portions of solid breakfast fare. Our waitress was friendly, but either had too many tables or was just short-sighted, as we had to signal several times if we needed something.

If I were to go back, I'd order something besides an omelet; my choices of fillings were all clumped together in the center, leaving a lot of plain egg around the sides. My son had a similar issue with the blueberry pancakes having clusters of blueberry instead of them being evenly spread.

It is telling that we chose to eat in the hotel for the last two days of breakfast opportunities rather than venture here again.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

If you are a breakfast person, this is the place for you. There is great variety with lots of choice for crepes, egg dishes, etc. We have been there several times and are never disappointed; plus there are always lots of customers.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant at least once a month for the last 2.5 years as an after meeting gathering spot. At first, the food was great, the prices were reasonable and all was well. Over time, things have been going downhill. Last night we had what I can only say was an awful experience. Dirty silverware, wait staff who refused substitutions that had always been available in the past, mixed up orders, long wait for food, it took about 30 minutes for them to tell me that they didn't have the ingredients for my order. Then when the bill came they had charged one woman $2 extra. Another of the party said that they had charged him the $2 extra last time and wouldn't take it off. Because she had specifically asked the waitress about it before ordering she decided to challenge it. When she asked the owner/manager about it - she was told that the waitress had made a mistake and that this was the price. When she showed him in the menu why she was right, the owner said he would make an exception this time, but the higher price was what will be charged if she ever ordered it again. When someone else in the party asked for him to explain this, he became beligerant and quickly ramped up to acting like he wanted a physical confrontation - but finally resorted to profanities and telling the person to pay his bill and get out - and that if he ever came back he was going to call the cops. All this over a question over why his menu was saying one thing and he was habitually charging his customers $2 more. As I said at the beginning, we have been going there once a month after our meeting - 8-12 customers times an average bill of about $15. We won't be back and I would recommend that you stay away as well. The other Omegas in the area are great, but the one on Highland does not live up to the standards.

2  Thank mrsimba60137