TripAdvisor

Review of The Ariston Cafe

The Ariston Cafe
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Litchfield
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Ariston Cafe, in Litchfield, IL, is the area's premier restaurant serving Montgomery County, and travelers along Old Route 66 between Chicago and St. Louis since 1924. This is a great place for locals and world travelers to come and experience great food and a slice of America's history. We are a family owned restaurant offering brunch, dinner, homemade food, hand cut steaks, seafood and so much more. Our private event room is a great place to have your next family reunion, birthday party, or work event - we do it all! To satisfy your next craving, stop by The Ariston Cafe in Litchfield today!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A group of 18 of us attend noon on a Sunday. The service from the wait staff was over the top. The buffet was reasonably priced with many choices. The selection include hip of beef and virginia ham. The salad bar was huge and full of great choices.
Desserts were also included with soft drinks or coffee. Don’t miss this place!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (401)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited during a fairly busy noontime weekday lunch. I ordered the Greek salad but had to return it when I found a bunch of rotten, mushy lettuce in the bowl. I asked to make my own at the salad bar instead. There I found slightly fresher lettuce (only a few brown pieces). About a third of the cucumbers were rotten (clearly new ones had been added to the bin they’d tnever cleaned out the yesterday), and the carrots were soft.

The gal who served us was wonderful. Too bad the produce wouldn’t have passed health inspection.

On a good note, my hubby enjoyed his roast beef sandwich.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

What a great place! The longest continuously operating cafe on the iconic Route 66. We stopped here for lunch on our Route 66 journey from St. Louis to Chicago. Very nice, well maintained and clean cafe. Even had tablecloths! The food was great. The service was great. The deserts were to die for. The history was even better. A must stop for any Route 66 history buff.

Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I had not been to the Ariston in so many years I can’t remember, 10-12 maybe? The food was so-so and way over priced. The previous owner would walk around trying to pull off a fake accent with out of town customers.
We knew ownership had changed so we thought we’d give it a chance. We’ve been back at least 7-8 times ourselves or taking along my mother in law or our kids from time to time. Each time I’ve tried something different (which is unusual for me since I’m a creature of habit), and every dish has been mouth watering. I’ve had anything from pasta, fish, and several different types of steaks that have all melted in my mouth. Their soups are all homemade and the desserts (if you can still manage to eat from being stuffed) are huge and awesome! I’m so glad we decided to try it out again. There’s something for everyone on the menu and the staff have always been very friendly and accommodating. Thank you for making the Ariston what it should be!

Reviewed September 14, 2019

We called by as it's an iconic stop along route 66 and as there is Cafe in the name, we only wanted to call in for a coffee and to look around.

Although we were seated we still felt a little uncomfortable because we felt like we wasn't welcome because we were not eating.

FYI - Add "Diner" to your name rather than "Cafe", that way we may not have stopped.

Date of visit: August 2019