“Best Japanese Food in Chicago and North Suburbs”
Review of Renga-Tei

Renga-Tei
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Lincolnwood
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have been eating at Renga Tei for years and, in my opinion this is the best Japanese restaurant in Chicago and the North Suburbs. If you judge Japanese food by the number of crazy rolls on the menu, this place is probably not for you. However, if you like real sushi, fresh seafood and well prepared dishes, this is the place for you. While Japanese food is never cheap, Renga Tei provides excellent value with a homey, relaxed atmosphere. Reservations, especially on weekends, are a must, as there is a long list of regulars who return on weekends. The Bento boxes and Combination meals are great, as are the sushi combinations. Try the Hamachi Kama (Yellotail Collar) Shio yaki. Service is "down'home" and dishes are served when they are ready, so sometimes you may wait for your meal while others at the table have already been served, but the wait is not long, and it is better to have the food when it is freshly prepared anyway.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Food: DELISH! Food tastes fresh and was flavorful. My favorite tempura thus far.

Decor: I liked the decor. It had a simple yet traditional Japanese restaurant look.

Service: The service was average. Host and employees were polite, but that was about it. Staff tended to us in timely manner and server checked on us from time to time.

Ambience: The ambience was good. I felt very comfortable and relaxed. There was a good energy when I was there and it was not too noisy.

I give the Renga-Tei 7.5 tempura shrimp out of 10.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I love this place! Don't come without a reservation because you will be sorely disappointed to be turned away. I love everything here from the combination plates to the breaded pork dish....salad is fresh and the miso soup is delicious. All reasonably priced. Cheery, bright atmosphere too. Don't miss out!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Our favorate Japanese restaurant. Authentic Japanese fare. Staff is fantastic - service is excellent. Our favorite appetizer is the Renga-tei steak -mmm (steak is so tender and the dipping sauce is outstanding)! Sushi is fresh and delicious. Saba teriyaki dinner includes, salad and soup. Reservations suggested.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Renga-tei is located in an unassuming strip mall where parking is usually a hassle, but Renga-tei always come through.

The interior reminds us of Frank Lloyd Wright and his fascination with Japanese design. Simple yet elegant, lots of indirect light. Service can be a little brusque; during our most recent visit, my wife's entree arrived 10 minutes before mine, but the quality of the food makes up for that.

My wife had various sushi dishes, and pronounced them fresh and flavorful. I had the tempura-teriyaki combo which was nicely-done. I especially love their teriyaki beef and salmon; the teriyaki sauce is thick and dotted with sesame seeds. Yum. The miso soup and citrus-soy salad were both tasty, too.

Several choices of sake and gigantic Sapporos add to the zest of Renga-tei. For an intimate meal or large gathering, check it out.