“Best panzerotti in the suburbs”

Bonta Italian Market and Cafe
Ranked #4 of 39 Restaurants in Lincolnshire
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Authentic Italian deli finally in the suburbs! Terrific panzerotti (hand held pizza) with a side of their homemade marinara. Good selection of Italian groceries and nice selection of Italian wines at reasonable prices. Don't forget the cannoli - they fill them fresh for you so you don't have soggy shells by the time you get home.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I took my family to this family owned restaurant/cafe and I was really surprised with the quality of their food. Three of us had panini for lunch and one of us, lasagna.
If you are looking for an authentic italian restaurant, Bontà is the right place. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

My husband and I stopped on a whim at this little Italian Market. At first glance, I was underwhelmed - a couple of baked entrees, some sandwiches, nothing great right? WRONG! Since we were there, I decided to go with it. Lucky me... Bonta is a family-run shop, from the counter help to the chef to the little girl clearing off plates. Great food, unique flavors, and a one-of-a-kind Old World Italy experience you're not going to find anywhere else locally.

ATMOSPHERE
Bright. The restaurant is mostly open windows, with little bistro tables to eat at that somehow made me think of Paris. There are some shelves near the entrance with fresh-made products for sale (and some canned), most of which you've never seen and may never see again because they are imported from Italy regularly. Hand made pastas, aged cheese, scratch made bread - all here, and all tasty looking. The vibe of this place was comfortable, like you were sitting in mama's kitchen.

SERVICE
Like family, because they are. We didn't know what to order, and the head counter woman nodded to the chef standing next to her. He was EXTREMELY friendly, great italian accent, and was more than happy to make suggestions on what was most unique / really said "Bonta". Authoratative without being egotistical, Chef knew the menu backwards and forwards, and led us to his top 2 picks which were, in order:

FOOD
Panini # 1 - Prosciutto, fresh mozzerella, arugula, tomatos, and balsamic dressing. - LOVE IT !!!!! This sandwich, while reminiscent of a mozzerella caprese dish, was somehow inspired by other, brighter flavors, and though I've had prosciutto before, it never tasted as clean as this meat did! Do yourself a favor - if you like panini's, go here, try this - thank me.

Panini # 2 - Bresaola, arugula, baby squares of real parmigiano and reggiano cheeses, and balsamic dressing. LIKE IT - the meat is something I've never had before. A bit salty, sweetened by the cheese and dressing - it's a unique taste you probably won't get anywhere else, and definitely worth a try.

Sides were:

Broccoli & Cheese soup - Definitely worlds apart from most any other lunch place you'll ever visit locally. FRESHLY made, and you could tell by the first spoonful that the ingredients had just been put together. Made with love and passion for food, it had the perfect balance of flavors.

Roasted Veggies - Suprising. Cold, something I didn't expect. The veggies were very fresh, and marianted in a dressing. It was good, not great, and given other options, I'd pass on these and go for the amazing soup.

(P.S. - side tip, they have breakfast sandwiches too - I didn't get one obviously, but I'm eager to stop in the morning to try one based on my sandwich experience).

VALUE
Fair. When compared to what you pay at sandwich chains, this is equal cost, and worlds away in quality. It's like McDonald's versus a Kobe Beef burger, or chuck e. cheese pizza versus Pizzeria Uno (Chicago reference). Sandwiches are about 5 to 6" long (wider than other shops too), and a meal is $9.99 and comes with 1 side and a can of soda. TERRIFIC food, well worth the spend.

Chef told us that all the ingredients (minus veggies, which were bought at the local farmers market!!) were imported from Italy. After tasting the sandwiches, I've no doubt it's true - you simply can't find this flavor and quality from Illinois... this man is a genius with the sandwiches, and I'm only sad that he didn't set up shop near a major city, so many more people can be exposed to the goodness he's creating.

Give them a try - the family is impressive, and so is the food, and I REALLY hope they can sustain the business.

7  Thank j2white