“First time there; will be back OFTEN!”

Hanakawa Japanese Steak & Sushi
Ranked #42 of 96 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Illinois, United States
“First time there; will be back OFTEN!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was our first time at Hanakawa. We usually make a trip alllll the way to DesPlaines to another hibachi-type restaurant, but decided to give this one a try. At first glance, the parking lot seemed pretty empty for 6:00 on a Saturday night, but we went in anyway. There were maybe 4 other families there, and all were already eating, so we sat at a grill by ourselves (me & my husband). The service could not have been better!! The waitstaff was SO attentive (almost too attentive at times, trying to take away plates before I had even set my chopsticks down), and the chef was great. Not overly entertaining, but there were no kids and just the 2 of us at the table, so that was expected.
The reason this place truly deserves 5 stars is for the food. It is WONDERFUL. My husband had a filet/tuna combo, and I had a strip steak/hibachi shrimp combo. They came with a delicious soup, a salad with a light, citrus-y ginger dressing, and a side order. I chose shrimp tempura, and my husband had california rolls. My tempura were as big as my hand, and the breading was sweet and delicious. His rolls were very well-made and came with 6 of them! The main course was awesome- crisp veggies (not just all onion either- there were broccoli pieces, carrots, zucchini, and the shrimp & tuna came tossed with asparagus!), tender meats, and everything was really well-seasoned.
For dessert, we tried the tempura ice cream. When the waitress brought it out, my husband's eyes grew wide and he whispered to me "I think our dessert is on fire!" It totally was! There were 3 large half-balls of strawberry ice cream wrapped in poundcake that were dipped and fried tempura-style, and in the corner of the plate was a pile of sugar that was on fire!! The sugar caramelized, the fire went out, and we dipped the ice cream/poundcake goodness in the caramelized sugar. Oh. My. Gosh. Amazing.
Definitely take the time to visit this place! You will LOVE it!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Megan E

Spokane, Washington
“You gotta get the dragon roll”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I don't know why we never went to this place sooner! Sushi was excellent, and great presentation (order the dragon roll, you'll see what I mean!). Our server was extremely friendly, atmosphere was laid back yet elegant. I really have no complaints. We'll definitely be back ... many times!

1 Thank SushiFoodie
Chicago
“Excellent Food and Friendly Serivce”
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We invited 30 people to a birthday party here and everyone had a fantastic time! The owners are very accommodating and helped me plan the event. Service overall was excellent in every way! Chefs at the hibachi stations were entertaining and took the time to ask individual guests their preferences on how they wanted their entree cooked. All the guests were happy with their entree! It's a kid friendly place too. We will return often! Highly recommended for a great night out!

1 Thank travelnews4U
Springfield, MO
“They welcome you like family and treat you like royalty!”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

At first glance Hanakawa may look like your typical Japanese hibachi grill. But dig deeper and you will find the friendliest staff Northwest of Chicago with the finest service around. The hibachi tables are fun for first timers or those with children or wanting entertainment with their meal. We thoroughly enjoyed the sushi bar with the open prep style counter where we could watch these master sushi chefs craft sushi and maki rolls with precision and elegant style.

The venue is small and cozy, just the way I like it. The decor is lovely and tranquil and the kids will love the gold fish pond at the base of the staircase. I've been to many steak and sushi restaurants with throngs of people in an open environment and felt so cold and impersonal. Not at Hanakawa. They welcome you like family and treat you like royalty.

My daughter and I frequented this fine establishment when we lived in the area. We are now in Missouri, but when we find ourselves back in the Chicago-land area, we make a point to see our "old friends" at Hanakawa, regardless of distance.

Chicago
“Excellence on Milwaukee Avenue”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

This is a very nice restaurant on a number of levels. Technically, the sushi is very well done. In terms of atmosphere, it is a place that works equally well for family outings with kids, or a nice romantic night out. The food is very good, and I've found the quality consistent across a number fo visits. The staff is personable, and the facility is pleasant.