“Slow intro with a happier ending”
Review of Thai Gourmet

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Thai Gourmet
Ranked #73 of 96 Restaurants in Libertyville
Chicago
“Slow intro with a happier ending”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Took the wife and son here on a Wednesday evening. We've driven by this place before but this was our first visit. Walked in at 6:30 and the place, located in a strip mall, was deserted. The exception was an older Asian gentleman wearing a sport coat and sneakers toward the back of the restaurant. After watching us stand in the "lobby" for almost a minute, he finally approached and seated us. Rather than immediately offering to bring us water or take a drink order, (after all, we were the only patrons) he slowly strode away where he abandoned us for close to 5 minutes. I finally got up from the table and asked him if he, or anyone was coming to take a drink order. He grabbed a check pad and came over. His English was not very good but we managed to arrange for a soda and some water which he delivered anon. The next adventure was the actual placing of the order. Maybe it was only the language gap, but I swear it took another 5 minutes for the 3 of us to explain what we wanted. It was actually rather comical. A woman emerged during the order taking from the back and it appeared as though she was supervising this process. Turns out she is the chef. OK. Let's see how it tastes. We each ordered soups. Hot sour for my son and me and wonton for my wife. I'm a heat freak so I opted for their hottest spice option, Thai Spicy. The soup is one size fits all--no cup here--and was fantastic. Great combination of a tangy broth with ample solid content. The heat was spot on. Perfect flame factor for my spicy palette. Now I have to tell you-- as slowly as our relationship with the host/waiter began, this guy went into overdrive once the food was ordered. I kid you not--I'd take two sips from my pop and he was there to swipe it away and refill it post haste. The water glasses never dipped below 85% the whole evening--even as two more tables of customers arrived. What's more-- every time he left the table he started bowing! Very nice even if unnecessary. Entree time. Chicken Pad Thai for me and a chicken and basil dish for my wife. Hands down--this is my favorite Pad Thai anywhere. Tender chicken. Tasty noodles. Heat amped up as I directed. Portion--enormous. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her dish as well. We all agreed we'd come back here and that our inauspicious start with the waiter made a wonderful 180-degree turn.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank ChiWeather

Chicago, Illinois
“Yummy!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

When it's cold out, nothing warms me up like the Tom Ka soup from Thai Gourmet. I get mine with tofu and only mildly spicy, but you can get yours with chicken or shrimp and as spicy as you can stand. The rice that comes along with it should be put in your spoon and then you dip your spoon it your soup. Don't dump the rice in the soup. I was warned by the owner about that. He said it should be done by the spoonful and I must admit that it works. You can tell that they want you to have a great experience at this family-run spot. You will.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank cwgreene
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Food, Gracious (but confused) Service, but Pricey”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We live in Thailand for the Winter every year, so we do know our Thai Food. I thought the food here was very good and 'authentic', albeit a bit on the pricey side even for the area. As other reviewers have mentioned, the Husband/Wife team that owns and serve the place, are extremely Gracious Hosts, maybe even a little 'over the top' to the point of being humorous -- not to mention a little confused (a few orders were mixed up). Also, there were a few too many '86'ed' dishes the night we went -- shockingly including the all-important cold Spring Roll, but hopefully that is not a consistent problem. Aside from the food, the Beer and especially the Wine are overpriced, and though the menu said wine could be ordered by the glass, the owner said 'only Bottles'. I would recommend the place, but only if price/value is not a high priority.

• Visited July 2013