“Great place to go for lunch or a night out”
Review of Casa Bonita

Casa Bonita
Ranked #11 of 96 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Casa Bonita was awarded "Best of the Best" for Mexican food by the Daily Herald Reader's Choice 2017. Located in the heart of charming downtown Libertyville, Casa Bonita is known for its vast list of over on tap tequilas and the famous "Perfect Margarita." The year round patio is enjoyed even in the winter where heat lamps allow guests to dine alfresco. Unlike the Mexican restaurant chains, Casa Bonita is an independent restaurant featuring a creative take on finely prepared, authentic Mexican recipes. Providing an array of recipe options, our food is made only with the freshest, quality ingredients selected daily from local purveyors. Everything from appetizers to desserts are handcrafted for a memorable south-of-the-border dining experience.
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have been to Casa Bonita twice now, once for lunch and once for dinner. Both times I was very pleased.

I did not dine inside, only outside on the patio both times. Love the ambiance, love the fact that you can say hello to people on the street you know. Chairs outside are all bar height so you have to be careful with little children.

Servers have all been very nice, very helpful and have had no problems refilling our chips/salsa when we ran low. All the servers we have had have been of a Hispanic origin and we had no trouble interacting with them, all very wonderful.

Food was very good. I have had their fish tacos and chimichangas. Others in my party had their tilapia, beef tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, skirt steak and nachos. Only complaints were the fish tacos were a bit watery. Otherwise the food was excellent. Not too spicy if you didn't want it that way.

Prices were very reasonable for the location and amount of food you received.

Entry, dining area and bathrooms were all very clean and well-maintained. Parking in a parking structure to the west of the restaurant or on the street made it easily accessible. Movie theater across the street makes it perfect for dinner and a movie!

online menu available with prices.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were there on Friday evening, very noisy, music too loud and customers trying to talk over it. The industrial ceilings don't allow for an noise attenuation. The nachos and the fish wrapped in a banana leaf were good, but the 7 shrimp with a slightly spicy tomato/spaghetti (AKA 'chipolte sauce' - ha) sauce dumped over the top of them was definitely not good.

1  Thank Bagwilltravel55
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Rumors of Casa Bonita's popularity proved to be true. When we arrived about 5 on Saturday evening, only the booths were filled. We had our pick of tables, and we could hear the fun Mexican music. By 5:45 though, every table was filled, even in the outdoor cafe area. Clientele was anything from young families to older couples. Ambiance was noisily lively; talking and laughter soon obscured the music.

Service was fabulous. Highly observant floating servers efficiently replenished our baskets of warm corn chips and dishes of mild and spicier salsa the split-second they got low. Just a few minutes after we sat down and the first chips/salsa serving had been delivered, not one, not two, but three people came over to ask if our drink order had been taken. A little later, when we placed our food order with Demetrio, I asked if my chicken in mole sauce was gluten-free. He didn't seem to be familiar with the concept, but to my amazement and appreciative delight, he proceeded to come back with all the right information from the chef. The mole contained wheat flour. I have to follow a strict celiac diet, so I happily chose a chicken fajita instead. When my order came, a fried chip of some sort had been pressed into my rice. Again, in a split-second, Demetrio was right there to whisk my plate away. He explained, "That has flour on it; I'll be right back with another plate for you." And he was.

I have to be very careful about gluten. I usually don't even eat at any restaurant where the wait staff doesn't understand this. And I really prefer to eat only where the wait staff knows gluten can be in not only wheat, but also rye, oats, or barley. Although Demetrio did not seem to be celiac-savvy, he went the extra mile to be sure my meal would be safe for me. Those of you who have serious food allergies know how rare and appreciated this level of service is.

My husband wanted to eat at Casa Bonita for his birthday. I'm not a frequent eater of Mexican food in general, so I can't rate the rice and refried beans. But I love guacamole and I like chicken and eat lots of both, so I can give both rave reviews. My husband had strip steak and shrimp, and he raved about both of those. And when he says he wish he could cook steak and shrimp to taste like Casa Bonita's, that is a high compliment, because those are his own specialties at home. Oh, and he also loved his coconut mojito.

By about 6:30 when we left, Casa Bonita was really bustling. We admired the staff's efficiency throughout our dinner, and we enjoyed our food. We'll go back for sure.

1  Thank 35805Jane_H_11
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Let me begin by stating, that I'm not a big fan of Mexican Food. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my wife's belated birthday celebration at Casa Bonita in Libertyville, IL. My garlic butter seasoned shrimp with rice dinner was excellent. Fresh chips, tasty salsa and delicious Margarita's complimented the dinner. Now here's the icing on the cake finale; the meal was served by an excellent waitress, Lili; and my step-son paid for the dinner. Lili's was very helpful and courteous even though the restaurant was very crowded. Everyone had a great time! Muy Bueno!!!

1  Thank Hal B
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We live in the area, and love Casa Bonita! The food is tasty....has the most interesting mole sauce I've ever eaten, (and, I don't usually like mole!)
The meals are presented well, and the prices are reasonable.
They also handle the crowds very well, (and it CAN get busy!)

Staff is very accommodating....when I asked for a "taste" of some sauces, they cheerily complied!

1  Thank joannwilkie50