“Authentic Thai”

Ranked #31 of 93 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Family owned and operated, Thai Noodles Cafe offers a complete selection of authentic Thai dishes including our most famous Pad Thai, a variety of homemade Thai curries as well as our signature Tom Yum soup. We use authentic Thai recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. With our friendly service and a space that was converted from an old house, you'll feel like you're dining right at home. Thai Noodles House also features vegan/gluten-free entrees, and we have an allergy program that will keep those with restrictions not only safe but eating well. We are driven to rework any dish we can to accommodate guests with food allergies and preferences. In addition, we use only the freshest ingredients. In addition to dine-in, we also offer carry-out (including large orders). The Thai Noodles Cafe family welcomes you to enjoy our traditional cooking. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Thai”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Found this place on yelp and decided to give it a try. It appears family operated and they are very friendly. Man running register was from Bangkok near the palace and was as nice as could be. We showed up at 7:30 on a Friday night hoping we could get seated in a reasonable amount of time (30 min?). The place was tiny with only a few tables able to seat 4 people so we wondered how long it would take. We waited patiently and was rewarded with a table about 10 minutes later (thank goodness because the kids were getting restless and there is no waiting area...you're just standing in the walkway next to diners). You're not going to get linen napkins, glass cups or fancy silverware, but as long as the food is good I didn't really care.

On to the food...
Having recently traveled to Bangkok, I was anxious to compare the food I ate there to what they were serving so i decided to order all the same items. We started with Tom Yum soup and the menu says enough for 1-2 people but in reality it is more like 4-5. I have to admit that it was identical to the soup I ate in Thailand...5 stars for round 1. (Ordered dumplings for the kids and they devoured them...I only got to try one and it was pretty good with the sweet ginger sauce)

Next I ordered pad thai with max heat (3 stars on their heat index). This is where it fell a little short of expectations. We also ordered the pad thai with no heat for the kids and there wasn't much difference. Perhaps they thought I was just some crazy american thinking they want it hot until they get it and can't finish 2 bites...not sure...but it definitely wasn't spicy. Only 3.5 stars for my entree.

My wife ordered the panang chicken curry and she liked it, but I personally thought they over did it on the crushed peanuts...personal preference i guess. My other son also got the chicken soup with glass noodles and the bowl it came in was 50% larger than the tom yum we shared as an appetizer...oh my gosh was it big...especially for a 12 year old. 4 stars for their entree.

Menu had so many good looking items I will go back and try new things. When asked, the family said they would go back as well. That's usually the determining factor so overall we give it 4 stars. Hope this is helpful. Kop Khun Kop

• Visited April 2013

Chicago
“Best Thai Food in the Suburbs”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I can't believe I lived near this place for years before eating here. Now it's one of my regular go-to places. The staff are always so nice and friendly and clearly want you to enjoy your meal. My favorite dish is the Cashew Tofu. I like it so much that it's hard for me to try anything else, but the few other dishes I've had have all been great too.

Seating area is tiny, but go a little before or a little after the lunch crowd and you will get a table. Same goes for the parking - limited spaces behind the building, but again, plan to eat before or after the crowd and there's no problem.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Stephanie P
Gavin M, Owner at Thai Noodles Cafe, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thanks so much for reviewing us back in September, Stephanie. Sorry we're a little late to the party with our response though -- we just joined TripAdvisor. I'm so glad you love the Cashew Tofu and that it keeps you coming back time and time again. I'm even happier to hear that you always find the staff friendly.

Thanks for that leaving those little tips for first-timers by the way. We are definitely in a cozy space but, like you said, there are ways to make it work.

Thanks again,
Gavin, Owner
Mundelein, Illinois
“Best Thai food going, friendly service”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is my favorite Thai restaurant in the Chicago area and I've been to quite a few. A friend of mine who lived in Thailand for a while thinks this place is the best too. I haven't been to Arun's but that's in an entirely different category costing multiple times as much. The sauces are definitely a cut above and home made. All of the dishes seem to be a cut above, made with fresh quality ingredients. The environment is a house painted brightly and converted to a restaurant and while it may not level of sterile cleanliness of a shopping mall, it is clean and bright. . The attitude of the staff is pleasant and accommodating. I go here a couple of times a month and happily recommend it to anyone who'll listen.

1 Thank Richard H
Gavin M, Owner at Thai Noodles Cafe, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
We're listening, Richard! We so glad you've found things consistently fresh and delicious. It's even better that you find our prices affordable and our staff incredibly friendly.

Everything tastes homemade here because it is -- all the recipes we use have been in our family for generations and we love making the type of food we cook for our family, for our customers. And while it may not look like the mall in here, I can assure you that our little house is kept to very strict cleanliness standards.

That being said, I can't thank you enough for this glowing review. I know I am a little late to the party with my response -- we only just joined Trip Advisor -- but I wanted to write you back and tell you how much we appreciate the high marks!

Hope to see you again soon,
Gavin, Owner
Chicago, Illinois
“Yummy!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Drove by this unassuming location for a long time before we checked it out. We are so glad we did! We've gotten take away and dined in the tiny dining area. The servers are so attentive and sweet and you're likely to get a table if you don't go during the usual lunch or dinner times. We plan to go a little earlier or later and always get a seat. Otherwise, plan to get it to go.

Haven't had a bad meal here. I love the cashew tofu and almost always order that. The other dishes that were tried were also very good. There were leftovers only because they give you plenty!

Closed on Sundays.

3 Thank Pezzler
Chicago, IL
“Friendly staff, great food.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Thai Noodles Cafe is our go to place for carry out. I especially love their Pad Woon Sen with tofu, it is so delicious that it is hard for me not to order it. But every dish we have tried has been terrific. My entire family loves the soft Thai spring rolls. They are not deep fried and come with a delicious plum sauce. It is making me hungry just writing about their dishes!

The restaurant is family owned and the service is always super friendly. The restaurant itself is tiny, but it is worth a wait if you want to eat there.

1 Thank Jennie30