“What a great experience - food AND atmosphere”

Dr Jazz Soda Fountain & Grille
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Lebanon
Cuisines: American
Description: Once upon a time Soda Fountains were found throughout America. From the fancy shops of the East Coast to the small town drugstores of the Midwest to the beaches of the West Coast, everyone loved ice cream and found it at the local Soda Fountain. The vision of restoring a historic Soda Fountain led us to this circa 1900 pharmacy in Lebanon, Illinois. Many hours were spent restoring the Soda Fountain to its original grandeur in the hope of recreating the atmosphere that was so vivid in our memories. Our goal is to give you a place to sit and enjoy a taste of the past, creating new memories for the future. Dr. Jazz Soda Fountain proudly serves award-winning premium ice cream shipped specially from dairies all across the United States. Try our phosphates, sodas and specialty ice cream creations - we bet you can't finish the Ice Cream Overdose! The menu includes our excellent Italian Beef, Chicago-Style Hot Dog, and Burgers, along with salads, sides and more sandwiches. Take a step back in time with us, and experience the flavor of an old-time soda fountain and the quality of all american cuisine.
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Dr. Jazz was recommended to us by friends at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois. We had some time to kill before heading to St. Louis for our trip back to Aspen, and Dr. Jazz seemed like a reasonable choice for food and diversion. It was better than promised. The owner and his wife were on site - he in the kitchen, she subbing for an absent member of the wait staff - and they were cordial, funny, and obviously care about their place. They restored the very old building in which Dr. Jazz is located, adding real memorabilia instead of the manufactured stuff one finds in chain restaurants. There is NO TELEVISION (hooray!) and it is possible to actually have a conversation. We each had milkshakes - don't know about the calorie count but they were delicious - and sandwiches. My BLT was very good, and my father's chicken sandwich (according to him) was wonderfully prepared, fresh, and delicious. The others in our party reported similar satisfaction. We left our table for the sode fountain seats for a desert of ice cream - my strawberry was rich and flavorful - as though it actually had at least driven by a strawberry (strawberry ice cream in the chain restaurants is typically pretty bland) - and I'd put it a notch or two better than Hagen-Dazs for flavor.

The second floor is a bed-and-breakfast, and one feature they provifde for guests is an opportunity - should the guest be so inclined - to work at the soda fountain after hours learning to make the soda fountain specialties. The place is about five miles off I-64, and on my list for an overnight during my next run through the middle of the country.

Great value, great food, and a very friendly family experience.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I had heard about this place from several people and since I travel through Lebanon when I go to and from my kids' schools in Southern Illinois, I decided to stop in and try it. So glad I did. The food was great and abundant. The ice cream is probably the best that I have ever had. Everyone was very friendly including the cook which I believe is the owner also. The old-fashion soda fountain setup made it very enjoyable to look around and discover. I loved the Beatles songs that were playing the entire time. I will be going back and probably on every trip to and from Southern Illinois.

Reviewed December 14, 2010

It was horrible. The worst food I've had in a long time--and I only got to the salad--which was the most overpriced chef salad ever--$9.50 for 12 cents worth of shredded imitation cheddar and ONE slice of ham rolled up and cut into four slices! Never again!! Bottled store-brand ranch dressing was the topper. UGH!

Reviewed December 12, 2010

Great restaurant for awesome ice cream, but you can also get a great sandwich, best burger in town, Chicago style hot dog or even a salad! They're now open year round so you can go every week! The owner Paul is a great guy and knows how to properly run a business which keeps my family and I returning often.

1  Thank markpage