“Mouthfuls of cheese...need I say more.”
Review of Mama Gustos Pizzeria - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama Gustos Pizzeria
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I frequented Mama Gusto's at my brother-in-laws' rehearsal dinner. There were so many pizzas it was hard to choose from. Everything was great from veggie that was well seasoned to the Hawaiian style. Dubbed as Chicago style the dough is thick and L-O-A-D-E-D with cheese. When you pick it up and the cheese stays with the pie, you know this pizza is legit. A pre-made salad was enjoyed with light italian dressing, provel cheese and ham.

Beer selection was vast but poor. I understand it is a small town but being 20 minutes from St. Louis you have no excuse to get craft selections. Would love to see Excel Bottling Co. in their with their Shoal Creek Wheat or Carlyle Lake Lager. (Hint, hint).

Service was great and the owner checked in a few times. Very nice people and I look forward to going back.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had trouble getting a second drink. When we finally got a second drink, I was almost done with our pizza. When I tried pouring it, it was frozen. I told the waiter and asked him to take the charge off our bill...he said OK. But when we went to check out, he did not give us a breakout of the costs, only the amount owed. When I asked why the price was higher than expected, he then informed us that he could not give us a refund on the frozen drink. When I spoke to the owner, he said we did not get the right receipt, which would have shown that we were overcharged. So either the waiter intentionally deceived us, then did not gave us the full receipt so we could tell (how many folks notice being overcharged). Not very honest on the waiter's part, I just hope the owner trains his waiters not to be deceptive, or charge for something not received. Left a bad taste in our mouths...

1  Thank Bill S
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Over the past 2 years I have frequented this place a half dozen times. I would go more, but it is a bit pricey (with good reason). The first time I went, I had my daughters with me. I ordered cheese bread sticks for an appetizer followed by a medium pizza. That was a big mistake on my part. The bread sticks were filling enough, but the pizza was enough to feed us for the next day. This is how pizza pies should be made. The ingredients tasted fresh and not skimpy. I still haven't had the deep dish, but I will. If you ever order the deep dish, it will take 45 minutes to bake. So be prepared to wait. Just don't fill yourself up with bread sticks or calamari. This pizzeria is not your average run of the mill pizzeria. Mama Gusto's ambiance is quite different, but unique with it's big store front windows and old wooden floors. The bathrooms were the only thing that threw me off (how they were located and positioned in the floor layout). Worth checking out.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We ate there the other night and the food was amazing. I had heard there was a good pizza place in the town so we checked it out. I ordered the deep dish pizza not knowing what to expect since this far down state there's no such thing. When it came out I couldn't believe it I ordered the small and this thing was huge. The toppings were loaded and the crust looked like they hollowed out a big loaf of bread to make an awesome pie!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Heard an ad on the radio for this place and decided to check it out. The Caesar salad was delicious and pizza was quite good too. The only negative was too many gnats in the dining area. Probably had to do with the cooler weather but just not something I particularly enjoy.