“Diappointing”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was very disappointed with the quality of this hotel. We stayed for over a week and never received new linen. Although they are supposed to change it every 5 days I believe. The beds were hard and the room had some maintenance issues. My husband told the front desk 3x about the maintenance issues and nothing was done. On the last day I received an online survey and completed it, it was only at this time that they decided to address the issues. The front desk staff was not too friendly, I wanted to extend my stay and I was told I had to wait to speak to someone else. Also, I couldn't even get a paper receipt, they had to email the receipt to me. The rooms are extremely small. We could barely fit 2 adults and an infant comfortably. After staying there I have been seeing the tv ads and this location is nothing like the ads.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank drmmj
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the hotel didn't meet your standards.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at lan@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Housekeeping was poor, room smelled, it was understaffed and the front desk was often unable to answer questions. At one point the woman behind the desk told the man " I don't know where the other extended stay is, I think it's 3 hrs away. maybe she can help you" pointing to me and then she disappeared. It was also very loud in the evenings with people yelling and slamming doors. I later found out the several families were living there as government housing.

There are many conveniences nearby and it was close to the job site but is the worst Extended Stay I have stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank janeway14

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the service you received at the front desk. In response to your feedback I have shared your review with my Staff and will use it as a training tool to continue to improve the service we provide to our guests. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me at lan@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this location for an overnight trip. The check in person Brandon was friendly and made the check in process quick and painless. I slept comfortably and no complaints other than the limited amount of soap, lotion and a hot breakfast in the a.m. Other than that the other staff members Michelle and Dan were pleasant :) I will book again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We continually work to improve our hotels, so I really appreciate your feed back on the comfort of our beds and the quick and frienldy check in process.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Recently, I stayed at this location for about 5 days. I received a very good (and low) rate online. For the value, this is a very good option. Of course, it is no Marriott or Hilton, however, for what you pay, it's a good value. Before booking the hotel, I noticed the other terrible reviews. If you're going to be put off by a spot on a wall or the lack of a full hot breakfast, that no this is not the place for you. However, if you're looking for a clean, cheap place to stay for a few nights that is close to the city, then this is the place. With that being said, I did have a few issues, however the staff was exceptionally courteous. There were some things that they could take care of, and there were issues that were left unresolved but the front desk staff (I had contact with 2 women and 1 man, forgot their names) were genuinely trying to help. Most of the issues I would blame on the hotel chain and corporate offices rather than the staff who have no control over the cards that are dealt to them. Nevertheless, the hotel is near a Kmart, Hooters, Chilis and a host of restaurants. Also, it is close to Indiana (cheap(er) gas) and of course Chicago. Hop of the expressway and you're 10 minutes from the south side of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond to accommodate you as well as do their best to meet your needs. I’m also happy that you found our hotel to be a great value. Still, I am sorry for and issues that went unresolved. Please contact us directly if you would like to speak about any of these items further.

Please accept our most sincere apologies. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place was a nightmare from the first minute we stepped through the door! We had arrived around 9:30 after driving from a family wedding in Wisconsin. The desk clerk was finishing up checking in another guest, which should have taken about five minutes. Instead we were left standing for another 15 minutes while he chatted with her and his family (wife & kids that were also in the lobby. When he finally got to us, he tried to charge me more than what my confirmation said, and didn't know how to fix it. He said he would get someone else to fix it in the morning, and gave us our keys. The walk down the hall to our room was unpleasant because the hall reeked of cigarette smoke. When we finally got into our room and started getting our kids ready for bed I commented on the cigarette smell in the room also. That's when my husband noticed an ashtray on the desk. I called down to the clerk and informed him that my confirmation said a "non-smoking room"! Oops! - he got that wrong too! Now we get to move in our pajamas, with all our luggage to a new room at 10:15 PM. This was the first day of our 9 day vacation - what a crappy way to start - thanks for nothing ESA!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Kathy - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The check-in experience you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for it. As well, since we strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, I am disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your accommodations. I am sharing your survey with my entire staff to ensure that what you experienced does not happen again in the future.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at lan@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The corporation uses the phrase "Your home away from home" to entice guests, and at other locations, this might be true. In Lansing, Illinois, however, nothing could be further from the truth. The bed is rock hard and the pillows either pancakes or overstuffed marshmallows with the neck support of a rolled-up sock. As with other hotels in the Chicago area, the channel selection is limited to networks or reality-show vomit. The internet is useless and slow, continually interrupting any connection that might be made. Online paperwork is impossible. There is a faster connection available for an additional fee, which is somewhat like bait-and-switch if you ask me. The staff are wonderful and even sympathize with these flaws, but can do nothing about them. If you are planning on an extended stay in the area, I highly suggest looking elsewhere. Though the price is right, this is more like the in-laws couch than any home I've ever had.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Don - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that the pillows and the comfort of the bed were not to your satisfaction. As well, I am sorry that you did not enjoy our television channel selection and that our WiFi connection was not working at an optimal speed during your stay. In response to your feedback, I am reaching out to our internet provider to see what solutions we might be able to find in order to ensure a situation like yours does not happen again. I am also keeping a log of all your feedback in regards to the amenities we offer. As we continue to improve these items, we will keep the remarks in mind.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at lan@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We normally stay at Red Roof Inn right across from this hotel, but for once this place was cheaper.We really enjoyed the full kitchen so we were able to cook in the room saving us money. Only thing is the poor guy at the front desk was often overwhelmed being the only one in the hotel, but he was still very pleasant despite his frustration. Will come back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Jerard - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled to know that you enjoyed your in-room kitchen. As well, we appreciate you letting us know about the check-in process you experienced. We are sorry for this issue, and assure you this will be addressed with the staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Comfort Suites Hotel - Lansing
Sleep Inn Hotel - Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#1 of 3 in South Holland
Quality Inn & Suites Harvey

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing? Share your experiences!