“Great place if you're looking for some "company"”

Howard Johnson Lansing IL
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I travel all over the country for work and have stayed in hundreds of hotels. This was the worst. Room was filthy. Dirt and dust bunnies everywhere. Paint peeling everywhere specifically in the bathroom. Bathroom had one full size towel that I'm sure has been washed and reused since 1975 because it was paper thing. Cigarette burns were on the edge of the bathtub. I had to bang on the TV every ten minutes to get it to work. There was some weird dead frog thing that sat on the walkway outside on the third floor for the whole 3 nights I was there. Unbelievable that nobody took the time to clean that up for days. I had two of my employees staying in two different rooms and there situations were both the same as mine but they didn't have to bang on their TV's to get them to work. One guy complained he Itched really bad after sleeping in the bed. One good thing about the hotel is now I know where to find dirty looking prostitutes if someday I become a dirty sleezy old man. Worst part about the hotel...the manager. This guy acted like he had given up on life and now hates his job with a passion. When I first arrived I talked to him and told him I own a marketing company and because of some new work in town I will be needing 3-5 rooms every week for the next two months at least. He told me to hold on and finished up a conversation he was having with his buddy on his cell phone. After about 5 minutes he just reaches over and hands me his card and told me to come back some other time to work something out. That hotel couldn't have been at more than 30% filled and I couldn't believe he didn't jump at the opportunity to fill more rooms. Then the next day I called for an Iron and Ironing board. He said I have to come down and get it which is fine, I didn't care. I get down there and he only has the Iron and he said they didn't have any boards. I kinda put up a stink because I NEED and Ironing board. I have wrinkled cloths and a meeting soon with a new client. He said ok and he will have one sent to my room in 5-10 min. Cool. 25mins go by...nothing. I call. "I'm very sorry sir. Give me 5-10 more mins". Fine. 30 mins later. I call again. Same thing, 5-10 more mins. 15 mins go by and I'm getting angry. I go out in the hall to see if there a housekeeper and I notice the storage door is cracked right across the hall from my room. I peek inside and there I find at least 20 Ironing boards. I grabbed one got cloths Ironed and was only 10 minutes late to my meeting, which was THE WHOLE REASON I WAS IN TOWN! All in all, worst hotel ever. I've been in third world countries that had better places to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank newsieallan

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Hookers in-line to check in...Pool had something growing on the top, like some thick film stuff...only two broke lounge chairs by the pool...burn holes on everything in the NON SMOKING room...No towels until I asked and then they gave me two even though they knew there was four of us...we checked in at midnight but that didn't stop me from going back down to the desk and telling them we would be checking out around 7 am and not staying for the week like we reserved. He began to argue until I showed him the picks that were online and asked him where those rooms were...he then said " we give you refund in the morning"...lol...I didn't sleep a wink even though we drove for 14 hours...I was toooooo scared

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank SJGIRL0513
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This has to be the worse hotel we've stayed at in years. Top of the list for terrible. Never seen housekeeping in 3 days. Dirty, moldy, an old ban-aid stuck to the wall. Carpet dirty, stained no tp in bathroom, towels like sandpaper. Phone didn't work. No coffee pot, iron ripped from the wall, no coat hangers bugs of some type in the room (bedbugs?) Fire alarm was beeping, not working, worker offered to take it out, rather than fix it. Gee thanks? A guy with needle tracks all up his arms hanging out in the lobby. Shady looking people hanging around outside the rooms and parking lot at all hours, doing drug deals. My dogs stayed at a nicer kennel than this hotel was we should stayed with them they had a nicer, cleaner, safer place than we had .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank the-dog-cookie-guy
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I think all these reviews are crap about this Hotel, i stayed there for my whole weekend with my family and that was the good room and having good staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank nick87_10
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I Stayed at this Hotel on April 27-30, 2010 for my Grand Daughter 4th and My 45th birthday I Live in LA and Came to IL to Visit. The Rm was Clean the 1st and 2nd Day the Third Day the Bed was not made floor not clean Tub was not cleaned out and NO CLEAN TOWELS I called down to the front desk Andy Williams the manager/desk clerk told me that they do not clean the rm every day if you are staying more the one day ok I ask if I could at least get some clean towel i went down and he had no clean face or hand towels they were out wow NO CLEAN TOWELS I Would not Recommend this hotel If you Like Clean Towel

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jwilliams65
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Bed bug Hell Hole! I stopped near midnight after a long day of driving, paid for a room and went upstairs. The place was FILTHY! ( I am a road warrior, so I don't sweat the small stuff, but this was terrible!) I pulled back the sheets and there were bed bugs crawling around in my bed! UNBELIEVABLE! I went down to the front desk and was refused a refund by the rudest cocky punk I have ever encountered in a hotel. I am a patient man, but he really pushed my buttons! He was not even surprised that I reported bed bugs, he just said, " I've never had bed bugs reported in THAT room before." Please for Gods sake, sleep in your car, or anywhere but this crap hole. Howard Johnson's should revoke their franchise.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank paulkMuskegon_MI
Reviewed October 16, 2009

My family and I spent a week in this hotel. We changed rooms 3 times; the first time, there was no television, no iron, no microwave or fridge; the second time, the remote to the television didnt work and the air conditioning/ heat didnt work; Finally we gave up and settled for the last room which appeared better, but little did we know that it would turn out to be a disaster. The breakfast was very cheap, they had cereal, bagels, muffins, orange juice and milk thats it. The people across the hall argued every night, the hallway smelled like marijiuana and cigarettes, the floors were dirty, the tub was dirty, the towels were not cleaned well, the sheets and pillowcases were stained, and even the tissue roller was gone! But that is nothing compaired to the service; everyday we had to go to the front desk to get a new key card to open our door because for some reason the cards would deactivate. The maids never came to our room to clean and we had to request new towels along everything else, which meant we had to walk down stairs to the front desk. But I saved the best for last, since the maids never came and changed our sheets, we were forced to sleep on the same sheets for 7 nights (yes 7)! Come to find out a day after we arrived home me and my husband had broke out in hives (we thought) and had little red bumps all over our bodies; so we went to the hospital to find out what it was and it turned out to be bed bugs!! Yeah bed bugs! As if this hotel wasnt horrible enough, they gave us scabies! (bed bug bites). So then I had to quarantine my house; clean everything with bleach and lysol, wash all my sheets and clothes, and stay in the house for 24 hours taking benedryl and lotioning up with the medicated cream they prescribed. I missed a day at work and had no rest since I was cleaning and scrubing for hours. I will never stay at this hotel again! Please do not go to this hotel! There are about 5 other hotels within blocks away, go there!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family