“Nice Room at a Great Price”

Howard Johnson Lansing IL
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was looking for the cheapest hotel I could find in an ok area of the south suburbs. The deal I got on this hotel was the cheapest around and the area is decent. Kmart, best buy, lifetime fitness withing walking distance. Mall about a mile away. Right off I80.

It seems like they are doing some remodeling. The public areas, halls, elevator, etc are a little dirty and rough. My room however was nice. It was nicely decorated and clean. There was even a mini fridge, Micro, and coffee maker. The bed was ok and I slept fine.

I didn't try the breakfast and the pool wasn't open yet for the season as it is outdoor.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and got exactly what I was looking for, a nice place to sleep at a great price.

Room Tip: The third floor has interior hallways, 1st and 2nd are exterior.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Lansing IL

Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of my life. We take a lot of weekend trips and like to stay at different places. I can overlook Something small but this place was beyond help! The short list would be that the carpet was dirty on site the sheets were not clean, the TV only worked on certain channels and there was no TV guide to help with that. When we went in to the bathroom in the evening getting ready to go out we stepped on the floor and water came up through the cracks in the floor! The paint on the base of the floor was bubble and peeling away from the wall because of the water damaged floor. YUK! We went to the Free breakfast in the lobby the next morning and at 9:00 am they didn’t even have coffee left. Run away from here as fast as you can they should be paying people to stay here not the other way around!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank catherine f
A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My stay at the Howard Johnson was very nice, the location was perfect right off the highway and close to restaurants and store. I have recommended it to people already. The rooms were clean and the maid service was good.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2011

After a 7 hour drive from TN I was tired and stinky. The delightful girl at the front desk allowed me to check in a few hours early. That's all I can say in favor of this motel. My key card seemed to work but the door wouldn't budge. After repeated tries, I asked a maid what was wrong and she showed me that I had to put my shoulder into the door to open it. Once inside, of course I had to use equal force to close the door. Felt sorry for my neighbors.

The room was pretty disgusting. Layers of dirt lined the window frame. Bathroom in dire need of clean caulk and new fixtures. Creepy.

None of the vending machines worked and I got the feeling the place is regularly robbed and ransacked. The pool was padlocked, too. Other guests were kinda scary. I slept with a gun under my pillow.

Just thought of one more positive comment: there are security cameras everywhere so at least there'd be a record of your assault when you get murdered on the way to the elevator!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank ssuga
Reviewed August 22, 2011

First off, I took photos of my stay and everything that is wrong. These are large problems.

*The bathroom was not clean - furthermore the tub was covered in cig burns
*The free soap and shampoo in the room had been already used
*The bed, sheets, pillows, and towels smelled of MOLD! Sleeping was horrible as you were immersed in the smell!
*Shady people! This area is surrounded by dangerous people and we think we saw a 'lady of the night' pick up a client and then take him back to her room!
*You will NOT get a refund - this location is independently owned and so not even the corporate headquarters can refund you. I asked for a refund at the front desk and was refused one, instead they offered me a coupon for a % off my next stay there! OMG! Why would I stay there again?!
*Dirty halls - marked up walls, litter, and more.
*People are living here
*Elevator isnt working right - doesnt show the floors and which way it is going. If the lights dont work, what else isnt working?
*Security is a joke - the security door on the third floor has its keycard torn out and anyone can walk in and out. SCARY!
*The furniture in our room as badly scratched up and banged up. It desperately needed replacing.
*The carpet in our room was full of cig burns and even a massive iron burn.
*Some of the lights in our room flat out did not work, even after being plugged in and having a working lightbulb placed in them. Some of the lamps were obviously damaged.
*TV no longer worked right. The tv buttons were broken and only the remote worked.
*Walls had obvious patches in the drywall

Again, please see the photos that support my claims.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank OhioTea
Reviewed July 27, 2011

It smell bad! and it is not clean, even the lobby is nasty, there is a sign that said $39.99 for a night it is a hotels for ladies of the night and dogs and cat, it is a hotel that u can bring your pets, and the floors look like it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank dove0216
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We were coming to Chicago for a 4 day music festival. Booked the hotel w/o reading reviews for 4 nights. It was cheap. Our expectations were fairly low. Just wanted a clean place to sleep. Upon walking in to the entry way it was about 100 degrees but the lobby was cooler and seemed decent (If we only knew then) Took almost an hour to check in d/t there being 2 people in line ahead of us. Staff (young man with dreads) was nice enough and got us booked in. We drove around to the back where our room was. (room 149). Upon entering the room we got all of our stuff in and started to look around. I used the bathroom first. the lid was up and there was a dirty shoe print on the rim of the toilet, cigarette burns on the tub, The shower curtain had gross mildew, nothing in there was even the remotest bit clean. I then looked at the floor and in all of the corners in the very small bathroom was DEAD BEETLE LOOKING BUGS. NOT JUST ONE BUT MANY IN ALL OF THE CORNERS. pulled back the ancient bed spread and the sheets were dirty, pulled back the sheets and the mattress pad was stained with urine. Pulled back the mattress pad and there was black specks on the dirty mattress. We are unsure of what these were but it was icky and we didn't stick around to look at them. The carpet was filthy. The curtain in the 1 window was broken and could not be opened. The room its self had a very strong odor combined with the smell of smoke. (It was a no smoking room) The one benefit of the hotel is that it had WIFI and we used it to find another hotel. We were there a grand total of about 30 minutes in the room. We checked out at the front desk. This time the clerk was less friendly and when asked for a refund (for the four days we booked the room) he told us that we would have to contact the booking agent who we booked with on line. We contacted the main Howard Johnson office. They stated that they would notify the owner who would have 1 week to make things right or come to some sort of agreement. More than a week has past and we have not heard from him. We will continue to work with the corporation to get some of our money back. This was a terrible experience and one that we took the important lesson to make sure we read the reviews. DON"T STAY HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE SLEEPING WITH BUGS.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dragonfly0187
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing
Comfort Suites Hotel - Lansing
Sleep Inn Hotel - Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond

Been to Howard Johnson Lansing IL? Share your experiences!