“OMG! DONT STAY HERE!”

Howard Johnson Lansing IL
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed August 22, 2011

First off, I took photos of my stay and everything that is wrong. These are large problems.

*The bathroom was not clean - furthermore the tub was covered in cig burns
*The free soap and shampoo in the room had been already used
*The bed, sheets, pillows, and towels smelled of MOLD! Sleeping was horrible as you were immersed in the smell!
*Shady people! This area is surrounded by dangerous people and we think we saw a 'lady of the night' pick up a client and then take him back to her room!
*You will NOT get a refund - this location is independently owned and so not even the corporate headquarters can refund you. I asked for a refund at the front desk and was refused one, instead they offered me a coupon for a % off my next stay there! OMG! Why would I stay there again?!
*Dirty halls - marked up walls, litter, and more.
*People are living here
*Elevator isnt working right - doesnt show the floors and which way it is going. If the lights dont work, what else isnt working?
*Security is a joke - the security door on the third floor has its keycard torn out and anyone can walk in and out. SCARY!
*The furniture in our room as badly scratched up and banged up. It desperately needed replacing.
*The carpet in our room was full of cig burns and even a massive iron burn.
*Some of the lights in our room flat out did not work, even after being plugged in and having a working lightbulb placed in them. Some of the lamps were obviously damaged.
*TV no longer worked right. The tv buttons were broken and only the remote worked.
*Walls had obvious patches in the drywall

Again, please see the photos that support my claims.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank OhioTea
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Lansing IL

Reviewed July 27, 2011

It smell bad! and it is not clean, even the lobby is nasty, there is a sign that said $39.99 for a night it is a hotels for ladies of the night and dogs and cat, it is a hotel that u can bring your pets, and the floors look like it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank dove0216
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We were coming to Chicago for a 4 day music festival. Booked the hotel w/o reading reviews for 4 nights. It was cheap. Our expectations were fairly low. Just wanted a clean place to sleep. Upon walking in to the entry way it was about 100 degrees but the lobby was cooler and seemed decent (If we only knew then) Took almost an hour to check in d/t there being 2 people in line ahead of us. Staff (young man with dreads) was nice enough and got us booked in. We drove around to the back where our room was. (room 149). Upon entering the room we got all of our stuff in and started to look around. I used the bathroom first. the lid was up and there was a dirty shoe print on the rim of the toilet, cigarette burns on the tub, The shower curtain had gross mildew, nothing in there was even the remotest bit clean. I then looked at the floor and in all of the corners in the very small bathroom was DEAD BEETLE LOOKING BUGS. NOT JUST ONE BUT MANY IN ALL OF THE CORNERS. pulled back the ancient bed spread and the sheets were dirty, pulled back the sheets and the mattress pad was stained with urine. Pulled back the mattress pad and there was black specks on the dirty mattress. We are unsure of what these were but it was icky and we didn't stick around to look at them. The carpet was filthy. The curtain in the 1 window was broken and could not be opened. The room its self had a very strong odor combined with the smell of smoke. (It was a no smoking room) The one benefit of the hotel is that it had WIFI and we used it to find another hotel. We were there a grand total of about 30 minutes in the room. We checked out at the front desk. This time the clerk was less friendly and when asked for a refund (for the four days we booked the room) he told us that we would have to contact the booking agent who we booked with on line. We contacted the main Howard Johnson office. They stated that they would notify the owner who would have 1 week to make things right or come to some sort of agreement. More than a week has past and we have not heard from him. We will continue to work with the corporation to get some of our money back. This was a terrible experience and one that we took the important lesson to make sure we read the reviews. DON"T STAY HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE SLEEPING WITH BUGS.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dragonfly0187
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Now I really understand the meaning "Looks are deceiving." when you pull into the lot the hotel looks good from the outside. All things changes after you check in and get on the elevator. The elevator had an odor like something passed died. When I got off the elevator there is something like a dead animal laying on the landing. When I finally make it to my room all looked good for the first hour. Sitting on the side of the bed it felt like something crawling on me look down and ants were crawling on my legs. I go downstairs to inform management he told me he would give me some bug spray but didn't have any. He then tell me that they don't have anymore rooms because they were booked. He did even up finding me a room when I got back he told me it was temporary since it was a personal room. When we got into the room. Within the first five minutes I we notice a roach crawling on the wall. I go back downstairs and the manager on duty is dealing with another guest who is complain of a simliar issue with bugs to my amazement she was dealing with bed bugs. Yes I said BED BUGS!!! I couldn't do anything but shake my head. I forgot to mention that they had green moss growing in the window track on the inside and mold growing on the ceiling. I called Howard Johnson corporate to inform them of my stay. I was told by Linda in there corporate office since it was a independently owned hotel there was nothing the could do but thanks for informing them of my stay. When I was checking out there was a man renting a room by the hour with his lady friend. If you have to stay in this hotel I pray your health insurance is up to date.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank TravelingmanPHA
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stayed here one night totally impromptu. Pulled off the road because I was falling asleep, and needed rest. Got a room, and was immediately mortified at the disregarded condition of this neglected property. The compound was circumscribed with gang-bangers. Loud rap-music played throughout the night. Ghetto-ho fabulous Hoochie-mamas were everywhere. The front-desk attendant that checked us in, hid behind thick bullet proof glass. I doubt she'd come out for love or money until her relief got there. Peeling paint in the room, dirty bathroom, pubic hairs on the sheets. There was also some "funny business" going on, where many of the (rented) room-doors were left cracked open up/down the halls. I believe this was some sort of "game", where perhaps "guests" were hoping for some "extracurricular activity" from "professional girls", and this appeared to be some sort of notification to these girls that the room housed a potential client. Very weird stuff going on in this place. It was a weekend, and the place was a big bump-and-grind 3-story booty club. Watch out. Read the other reviews, and take note that they are not embellishing. In most instances, they are under-exaggerating. The "Free Breakfast" consisted of one tray with 4 Hostess muffins, and a second tray with 5 bagels. There was also nasty coffee, and a circus of rappers, pimps and prostitutes in the breakfast room. I know everyone has different expectations from an accommodation, and some will find this alluring. For those, I would say this hotel will be a fantastically memorable island of paradise, but for the general "non-gang-banger type", it might be an odyssey of disdain that one would not easily forget for the duration of their life. If you enjoy a hotel stay that puts your safety in the cross-hairs, this is your hotel! Hell on Earth does exist. On the bright side.... it did have plenty of free parking.

Room Tip: Don't even pull in the driveway
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rmode
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We took a last minute trip to Chicago. We found this hotel and oh Lord. You could hear the freeway outside, traffic noise, the bed was so old that we felt the springs, 1980 called they are looking for their tv's!! The bathroom was so tiny. I mean I could reach wall to wall. I could not close the door, it was too tiny. No hand soap, we found old chewed gum on top of the tv stand. The lock was held on with ELECTRICAL TAPE! The lights switch were so loose that I am surprised there is no fire. Carpet were so nasty and the room facing on the road; we heard every noise. No internet!! NEVER STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Extended Stay across the street, stay there!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrsheminger
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Reserved rooms at this hotel for family. Needed rooms for large group of people at reasonable rate. My husband talked with Andy,Manager prior to our checking into hotel about bad ratings online. He guaranteed us that rooms were not as bad as on line and if we were truely dissatified he would refund our money. We did not hear loud noise,our rooms were cleaned each day, and no bugs of any kind . For the price in this economy what can you expect? MYRA

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MSMYRA_53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing
Comfort Suites Hotel - Lansing
Sleep Inn Hotel - Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond

Been to Howard Johnson Lansing IL? Share your experiences!