Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My family and I travel a lot so we stay in a lot of different hotels. This by far has got to be one of the scariest locations I have stayed at. The hotel itself was perfectly fine and clean, however we got asked multiple times if we had money they could have,And it's not avery well lit city at all. I have young kids and I was real close to driving a tad bit further and staying in a different city. I was even scared to sit and eat at the subway right down the street! All in all I would not stay here again! Nothing against the hotel tho!

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank ocean157048
GMHIEXLANSING, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Greetings ocean157048,

I thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with our hotel as well as the Village of Lansing. I was excited to hear about your pleasant comments regarding the hotel. Our staff strive on providing clean and comfortable accomodations for our guests with a great smile. As for the impression on the Village of Lansing, I hope you give us the opportunity to change your impression as Lansing is a great community of businesses and residents who care about its loyal visitors. I thank you for submitting your comments.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was our second stay at this hotel to visit family members who live in the area. It has to be one of the nicest moderate-priced hotels we've ever stayed in. Clean, well-appointed, updated, and friendly. Comfortable bed with nice linens. Spacious rooms. Big variety of hot foods in the breakfast buffet that is included in the price. If it had a lighted magnifying mirror in the granite and tiled bath, it would be as nice as some of the upscale 4-star hotels we've stayed in. That's the only thing I can think of that's missing!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, away from the elevators to get the quietest rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here on our way into the city. Our room was nice and clean. The staff were helpful and the continental breakfast is awesome! They have a small workout room which is nice. They have free wireless internet too! I'd stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Michael Lawrence, the sales manager at this location is beyond phenomenal. My family and friends of 12 stayed at this hotel for 3 days during my cousins wedding. After 13 hours on the road driving from Maryland we wanted to get to our rooms and sleep. That is exactly what we did. !! within 3 minutes all 5 rooms were checked in and ready to go.! Not only did Michael making planning our stay simplistic but he was also always courteous, friendly and always available to assists. The rooms were clean, breakfast had varieties for all tastes and did I mention clean. Not one complaint from any of the 5 rooms I reserved with Michael. If I were anywhere close by this location I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: AAA and government discounts are sweet !!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I selected this hotel since it was relatively close to the client site I was working at.

Here are my list of complaints:

Thin Walls - I have stayed in many, many HIEs and hotels overall. I could hear everything around including what sounded like a 500-pound man in the room above me.

Decreasing Towel Supply - Everyday during my week long stay, towel count steadily declined everyday. One day I had no hand-towels, one day no bath-mat towel, one day no towels at all, although my room had already been cleaned.

Impolite cashier - When reporting no towels were in the room, the young guy implied that it was normal procedure and they would eventually get towels to me. I still do not know when they provided the towels because I had to leave and did not return until later that evening. The towels were in the room upon my return, but I was unable to shower prior to running my errand.

Disappearing chewing gum - I know it's just a pack of gum, but the cleaning staff were helping themselves to my pack of gum and leaving the empty foil wrapper on the nightstand.

Loose headboard - Headboard was not properly fixed to the wall. With most hotels, the headboard is just mounted to the wall. This headboard was only attached at the top of the board which allowed it to "swing" back and forth away from the wall. Therefore, any movement on the bed would make the headboard bang against the wall.

Clothes Rack Falling - The clothes rack in the closet was being held in by only one screw, which would not allow for any clothes to be hung in the closet. The screw that was not mounted was there, but the drywall was ripped out to where it was no longer attached. I hung my clothes on the door hook on the back on the bathroom door (among other creative places within the room).

I was very displeased with this hotel and I would recommend moving on to the next choice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank Yer_M0M
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Our first impression was not so positive. We stood at the unattended front desk for almost 15 minutes waiting to check in. Fortunately, another guest,who was also waiting picked up the house phone and was able to summon the front desk person. Once she arrived she was efficient, helpful and really nice. She explained that she was the only on e on duty.. She gave us a verbal list of restaurant suggestions after asking us what we wanted.
Our room was wonderful- very quite, great bed and pillows, shower etc. Very nice decor- better than some Holiday Inn Express. I slept really well.
Breakfast was provided-the help here were really nice too. One detail-no fruit was provided, fresh or otherwise which was unusual.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2010

This place was GREAT!!!! We came in got a price quote from the young woman at the front desk. It was very reasonable. Got our room, but discovered it wasn't cleaned, so she upgraded us to a suite at no charge all with a pleasant, genuine demeanor. Wish I knew her name so we could put it in the review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Comfort Suites Hotel - Lansing
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Sleep Inn Hotel - Lansing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Munster
Hampton Inn and Suites Munster

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing? Share your experiences!