“Nice lunch spot”

Popolano's
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2012

They have a very nice lunch menu and there is very little wait at lunch and the service is quick. There can be a wait at dinner but the food is worth it.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Went there for a quick business dinner. Food was good, better than average but not great. Service was also good.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The wait staff of this restaurant is very pleasant and their food is pretty good. I had a pecan crusted chicken salad that was pretty good. I wish they would use greens rather than iceberg lettuce but otherwise the dish was satisfying and filling. They offer a good selection of beverages and good service.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I were in town to visit my mother. We ended up in Lansing and saw Poplano's on Torrence Ave. It was dinner time so we pulled into the parking lot. The first thing I noticed was the parking lot was pretty full. I thought to myself the locals must like this place.

We were seated right away by a very friendly hostess. Our waiter, Eric, was very pleasant and did a good job. He took our orders, repeating everything back to us but never writing anything down. This always scares me but the food came to us a ordered.

The food was good, not great but for the money, I thought it was a real value. I had the sheppard's pie ribeye. I ordered it medium rare. The meat is definitely not prime. It may not even be choice but it was seasoned well and had had good flavor. A little fatty, even for a ribeye. The mashed potatoes are real and quite good. The grilled carrots and zucchini were very tasty, as were the carmelized onions. My mom chose the fillet mignon encrusted with horse radish. She ate nearly the entire meal. Not bad for an 82 year old! I forget what my wife ordered but she enjoyed her meal as well.

Areas where Poplano's could improve: Their wine list is short and honestly is forgetable. We were also disappointed in their rolls.

Things we liked: The value of the food is very good. The prices are low. The wine prices are also reasonable (even if the selections are lacking). The service is friendly and fast. I watched as the owner (or manager) made attempts to greet all patrons as they finished their meals. He made it to our table and is truly a very engaging man who obviously has a passion for the restaurant and for people. Oh yeah, the food was good.

I like to find local gems. Sometimes you are lucky (as in this case). Sometimes you are disappointed. This is certainly a place I can see us returning to again.

1  Thank RVIDI
Reviewed May 6, 2012

very good pizza and sandwiches if they where closer to my house I'd be a regular.