“Great food and great portions”

Fritzl's European Restaurant & Pub
Ranked #6 of 84 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Great food and great portions”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've now been to Fritzl's twice, and both times were fantastic. Love the decor-old school dining room with large tables and booths. Has a great bar that makes great cocktails before and after dinner. The hardest part is figuring out what to order. The appetizers are fantastic, and large enough to share with the other member of your party. Also--the French Onion Soup is fantastic The main courses are many, and since I couldn't make up my mind, I spotted something perfect on the menu- The German combination platter with-Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, Rouladen and Bratwurst-Thueringer medley. Wow is this great! Always a large enough portion that I get 2 meals out of it! This is now one of my favorite places to go! Highly recommended!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank sh1520

Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Enjoyable Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Tasty German meals, sides, beer, and desserts. A little German heritage on the north side of Chicago. Our waitress was attentive, but gave us plenty of time to leisurely enjoy our meal, as we conversed with our friends on this special occasion. We stayed until closing. The schnitzel and red cabbage was excellent. So was the Bienenstich and apple strudel dessert.

Whenever we visit the northern Chicago suburbs, this is where we stop and eat.

• Visited May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Enjoyable Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We wanted to pick something that reminded us of our hertiage for an annivesary dinner. Fritzl's was outstanding - service, food and ambience were all wonderful. The evening was special due to the combination of these three elements.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Roy3752
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent beer and sausages”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I sometimes drop by Fritzl's for a beer. They have excellent European beer on tap, and the appetizer menu is perfect. I recommend the sausages appetizer, the brats are excellent. I've eaten in the restaurant here and the service was great. When you get a hankering for German food, this is a very nice choice. But truth told, I usually sit at the bar, have a couple of beers and appetizers.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank johngannonlasvegas
Chicago, Illinois
“A dinner turned sour.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having eaten at Fritzl's restaurant on several previous occasions, I had high expectations as I sat down to dine on the Friday evening of the week just prior to Easter Sunday. Both my wife and I enjoyed our steak dinner, complete with two side items included. Now the restaurant is somewhat casual inside, and many diners were spotted wearing jeans. Realizing their restaurant can be some what pricey however, management tends to "advertise" its restaurant by placing discount coupons on several internet web sites and thru bulk discount coupon mailings. I have noticed other diners using them before, and of course they seemed to be "cheerfully" accepted there. However, in our case, my attempted utilization of the free entree coupon, without any price restriction, was rejected by management, and instead an artificial cap was imposed on the certificate limiting it to a maximum of 15 dollars. When we questioned our server about this, a manager came over, (possibly one of the owners brothers), and refused to offer the 1 free entree to us claiming that he had never seen this coupon. I proceeded to explain the web sight it was listed on, and he still refused it. Finally, out of disgust, he told us that we could just leave. My wife was so shaken up by this incident that she abruptly exited the restaurant before me. I on the other hand, paid the entire bill that was presented to me, and told the manager just how embaressed he made her feel. He listened to me without responding, and did not appear to reveal any emotion or concern, whatsoever. To me this is totally unacceptable behavior, and for a restaurant that bills itself as the top German restaurant in the Chicago area, was totally "a dinner turned sour".

• Visited March 2013