“Hidden Secret...”

Ranked #1 of 89 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a total sleeper place to go for a great meal. The food, wine and service were excellent.
The ambiance is very warm and inviting. We were a table of six and had a little bit of every thing and all the dishes were excellent. I am not in this area very much but will make a point to visit again.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I went here for the first time for my birthday. It was about an hour drive for us, but thankfully well worth the trip. On a week night the restaurant was busy inside and out, but not packed. We did make a reservation. It is quite charming inside. Their wine list is very reasonable in cost. I had an appetizer from the daily specials - figs roasted on a squewer with pancetta, my husband had an eggplant mushroom appetizer. He had a South African cassolet with several different meats and vegetables from the daily specials; I had the duck confit with wild mushroom risotto. I thought the risotto was done right and the duck leg was generous in size. Desserts were super - I had a pear and date tart with homemade Bailey's ice cream, the husband had a cherry trifle with homemade caramel ice cream. We thought their portions were very generous -just the main courses and desserts would have been enough, but since this was a special occasion we wanted to try appetizers. We had a bottle of a recommended summer white wine. Service was good and the owner came to our table to check if we enjoyed our dinner. We will definitely return - I wish the bistro was a little closer to our home.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Fantastic dinner for two last night. The scallop with noodle was awesome. The crab cake was literally all crab, no breaking. Tender and juicy.
I had the stuffed shrimp /pasta entre, my wife the tuna trio. Both excellent.
We also were able to bring in a bottle of wine we'd been saving.
Only because I don't trust any review that can't find a single constructive criticism, I'll suggest that the portion sizes didn't need to be as generous as they were. We had no room for dessert.
Wonderful!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The non-decript strip mall does no justice for this wonderful restaurant. We started with the seared scallop appetizer. The 3 large scallops were cooked to perfection and combined with the soba noodles, was excellent. We both ordered from the nightly specials. The crisp duck with cherrys and rice was absolutely delicious. The couscous with braised lamb, chicken and sausage with the dipping sauce was fine but not as good as our other food. We concluded and split the rhubarb crisp a la mode which was to die for. I wish I had room for another.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Walked into the restaurant (and immediately noticed it smelled from extermination) - yuk!
Asked to eat outside, instead. The service was poor, and the meal was just average (well done filet when we asked for medium). We ordered from the prix fix menu (we had salad, entree and dessert), no drinks and the bill was $80 ! What a rip-off. I'll return to RETRO BISTRO in Mt. Prospect, where I have never had anything but a wonderful meal and service - and the price is way less !
Don't recommend D & J Bistro - that's a given. Don't waste your time or money.