“Good in Europe, excellent in Illinois” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of D&J Bistro

D&J Bistro
Ranked #3 of 82 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Klosters, Switzerland
“Good in Europe, excellent in Illinois”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

You are not sure what this restaurant is all about until you get inside, see the menu and meet Stefan the French owner. All 3 are positive surprises.
When we were there Stefan was dressed in USA military uniform; he and the menu celebrated D Day in the second world war.
Menu had snails and foie gras as well as some more USA friendly steak and fish dishes. The chateaubriand in pepper sauce was nice. Not a cheap place, but a real find in this part of the world. $185 for 3 with one bottle of wine, incl tip.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank zaplocation

Chicago
“We are "regulars"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We have eaten here at least 30 times and alway had great food and service. Do not let the "strip mall" location fool you. It is a true French Bistro with a cozy atmosphere.

2 Thank Hawthorn1Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“My Favorite Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Without a doubt, D&J is my sife's and my favorite restaurant in Chicago's northern and northwestern suburbs. We only go a handful of times a year, not because of cost but because it is so far from where we live. The food and wine are wonderful: classic French cooking prepared with loving attention but without the pretentiousness or arrogance that often causes ordinary Americans to shy away from French restaurants. And the value is outstanding! Little known but delicious wines are reasonably priced. There are fixed price dinner options, and the individual plates are not overly expensive. The waiters are helpful and friendly, especially if you are not familiar with the names or preparation of the offerings. D&J offers an intimate romantic setting for dinner, and also serves in the more boisterous bar next door.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank Mark F
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

This is our 3rd visit to D nad J bistro. we had been there in early 1990s and again about 2001. The place has expanded and is nice ambience. The food was very good. We all had the Price-fixe which is a good value. The only things keeping me from rating DJ Excellent was the waiter and dessert. Our salad was very good with grains and avocado and I had the beouf pieces which were cooked Perfect for my taste. Out waiter was not friendly and we have been to France before. He made a face when I asked for more butter and never smiled at our table once. The dessert was not impressive, but the rest of the meal was worth the trip to Lake Zurich. I would recommend this French Bistro to friends for a Unique dinning experience.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank geneg855
Hilton Head Island, SC
“Wish they here on Hilton Head”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

We recently headed back to Chicagoland for a wedding, and were staying close by and went to D&J Bistro for dinner. I have had many dinners at this attractive restaurant over the past 18-20 years and I must admit I have always gotten very high quality, delicious food there. The last time was no exception when we had a wonderful dinner. I only wish they would pack up their skillets and pots and move down to Hilton Head Island. This visit reminded me of how much I miss this place and just don't get to Chicago area often enough to get there as often as I would like.
PS: If you live in Chicago and crave Foie Gras this is your place. I had it as a appetizer and it was great.

• Visited October 2011