“musty smell”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

me and my mom stopped in to have lunch one sunday last month to have lunch and watch the bears the burger want cooked right the service was slow i used to go to hackney's when i was a kid and now it is not how i remember it it has a musty smell and we had to wait 20 mins for our food but the onions rings are good

1  Thank ginger47925
Hackneys, Owner at Hackney's Lake Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thanks!
William Blair
Owner

There are newer reviews for Hackney's Lake Zurich

Reviewed October 13, 2013

By far and away the best onion rings in the Chicago Area.The Lake Zurich place really needs to be updated. Everything is old and rundown. We just learned that the place on Milwaukee Avenue is closed. The portions are much smaller than years ago. But they still have the best burger and onion rings. Pricing is reasonable. Staff is nice. The newer place in downtown Chicago is rather small and crowded. Parking is tough. You have to wonder about the management of the Company.

Hackneys, Owner at Hackney's Lake Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for the compliment about our Burger and Onion Rings, we do pride ourselves on great food. But I am sorry to hear about your experience. I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I will be sure to bring it to the attention of my staff. I want you to know we take your opinion very serious. We hope you give us another try.

Thanks,

William Blair
Owner

Reviewed September 11, 2013

John's review title of "not what I remembered" is right. This place had it's day - decades ago. Musty basement smell - dark and dingy. Bland frozen processed food, terrible presentation. Running their Octoberfest menu which consists of one German style beer, one German style food plate that includes two sausages, German potato salad and sour red cabbage, and an apple dessert (literally 3 different items). My husband ordered the special. I seriously wish I would have taken a picture of it. I remember high school cafeteria food looking more appealing. You would think if they were offering one 'special' seasonal menu item, they would do it well. Waiter was pleasant but that is the only positive thing I can say. Seriously - take your money elsewhere. Your wallet and appetite with thank you.

2  Thank htaylor75
Reviewed August 7, 2013

When I previously lived in this area I had eaten there almost 20 years ago and was a good place to eat back then. But not anymore. The first thing you notice when you walk in is the musty basement smell. The waiter was very good and knew the menu. The food took a while to arrive and place was not very busy. Onion rings were good. I ordered the burger and asked for it cooked to medium, it was, but the meat was very dry and had no flavor. Fries were average frozen fries. Wife ordered soup and salad. She asked for vinegar/oil, but got a balsamic vinaigrette. The potato soup was salty and had no chucks of potatoes, had been pureed. I was disappointed and so was she. I cannot recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank john l
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was my first time at Hackney's Lake Zurich. We went here for father's day yesterday with our party of 12. The outside of the building was filled with overgrown weeds and bushes that needed lots of trimming. Inside is very dirty and smelled musty. It definitely needs a good deep cleaning!

Our waiter was really nice, not knowledgable about the menu, and very slow service. The food was good but it took over 40 minutes to get to our table. Our drinks were never refilled and when we received our 2 checks for the table it was wrong twice. We finally just paid even though it was wrong because we were desperate to just get out of there.

If you do go the burgers were really good as well as the onion string brick.

1  Thank Heather E