“Waste of money”

Dining options: Reservations
Lake Geneva, WI
“Waste of money”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

John's review title of "not what I remembered" is right. This place had it's day - decades ago. Musty basement smell - dark and dingy. Bland frozen processed food, terrible presentation. Running their Octoberfest menu which consists of one German style beer, one German style food plate that includes two sausages, German potato salad and sour red cabbage, and an apple dessert (literally 3 different items). My husband ordered the special. I seriously wish I would have taken a picture of it. I remember high school cafeteria food looking more appealing. You would think if they were offering one 'special' seasonal menu item, they would do it well. Waiter was pleasant but that is the only positive thing I can say. Seriously - take your money elsewhere. Your wallet and appetite with thank you.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank htaylor75

fort dodge
“Not what I remembered”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

When I previously lived in this area I had eaten there almost 20 years ago and was a good place to eat back then. But not anymore. The first thing you notice when you walk in is the musty basement smell. The waiter was very good and knew the menu. The food took a while to arrive and place was not very busy. Onion rings were good. I ordered the burger and asked for it cooked to medium, it was, but the meat was very dry and had no flavor. Fries were average frozen fries. Wife ordered soup and salad. She asked for vinegar/oil, but got a balsamic vinaigrette. The potato soup was salty and had no chucks of potatoes, had been pureed. I was disappointed and so was she. I cannot recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank john l
Berkeley, Illinois
“dirty place with very slow service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was my first time at Hackney's Lake Zurich. We went here for father's day yesterday with our party of 12. The outside of the building was filled with overgrown weeds and bushes that needed lots of trimming. Inside is very dirty and smelled musty. It definitely needs a good deep cleaning!

Our waiter was really nice, not knowledgable about the menu, and very slow service. The food was good but it took over 40 minutes to get to our table. Our drinks were never refilled and when we received our 2 checks for the table it was wrong twice. We finally just paid even though it was wrong because we were desperate to just get out of there.

If you do go the burgers were really good as well as the onion string brick.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Heather E
San Antonio, Texas
“Consistently Good for Ages”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We started eating at Hackney's in Wheeling, Illinois back in the 1960s, their food was delicious then and it's still great after all these years. We have eaten at all five locations many times.
Our server was Jeremy, he has lots of experience and is very efficient.
Their iconic Hackney burger with fries and coleslaw is almost the same it was 45 years ago,
the dark rye bread, great chopped sirloin, and cheddar cheese makes it special. The only change
with Hackney's is that the fries are much better. Now they are bigger, and more like steak fries and there's a ton of them.
We could never resist that fried onion ring brick, another Iconic Hackney menu item. These are without a doubt some of the best fried onion rings around anywhere.
This time we ordered the fried clam strips, some of the biggest and tastiest clam strips
you will get your hands on.
Hackney's has to get serious props for doing it right for so long.
That is a special place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank bobemac
Chicago
1,330 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,198 helpful votes
“Decent food; nothing special”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here. We both ordered their Wednesday night broasted chicken special. It consisted of four pieces of broasted chicken and came with a slice of rye bread, a small cup of cole slaw, and a choice of potatoes. We both ordered mashed potatoes as we were told by our server that it was made with real potatoes, but it certainly didn’t taste like real potatoes. Overall our meal was just ok and was nothing special.

• Visited May 2013