“Awful experience”
Review of Franco's Pescheria

Franco's Pescheria
Reserve with OpenTable
Franco's Pescheria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 92 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Description: Franco's Pescheria is a seafood market, restaurant, and oyster bar in Lake Zurich, Illinois. Our case is always stocked with fresh, wild caught seafood, flown in daily. Chowders and bisques, made from scratch, as well as seafood salads, sandwiches, tacos and entrees, available for dine-in or takeout.
Reviewed April 30, 2017

We had been avid fish fans from the previous owners of diamond seafood. We would purchase fresh fish weekly and also buy 18 pounds of salmon to smoke several times per year. When we placed our order with the new owner, my husband explained how the fish had been trimmed. They agreed to complete the order. When my husband picked it up, the owner confirmed it was for 18 pounds. When my husband got home and looked at the receipt we were charged for 21. He called to ask why and was told we were charged for the trimmings. We were never given the trimmings for our use. He charged us and keep them. This was an additional 45.00. He wasn't honest or up front. We will never go there again.

Frank R, Owner at Franco's Pescheria, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2017

I am truly sorry to lose your business, Amy, especially over a situation that might have been avoided with better communication. As you may know, it’s standard practice among fishmongers and butchers to calculate weight before trimming to a customer’s specifications. If you request the bone removed from a leg of lamb, the butcher will happily comply, but you certainly will be charged for the bone. The bone would be yours to keep, of course — to make stock or give to your dog. And you’re right, those salmon trimmings were yours to keep, too. But your husband never asked for them. When he placed the order, he gave me specific instructions about how to trim the fish, which I followed. To be clear, those leftovers were mostly skin, fins, gills and unsellable end pieces.
One small correction. I did not charge your husband for 21 pounds of salmon. I charged him for the 18 pounds he ordered (That’s my recollection, at least. This happened six months ago). On the phone, he told me he had reweighed the fish when he got home and found it to be less than 16 pounds. I explained why.
I suppose I will try to do a better job of explaining this to customers in the future. Again, I’m sorry to lose your business.