“Beautiful setting, steep prices!”
Review of Lovell's of Lake Forest - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Everett Road
Transit: Metra, Northshore Station
Wheeling, Illinois
“Beautiful setting, steep prices!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

At $39 for lamb, a vegetable or starch should be included!!!!! . Food was very good but service was slow. With few to wait on, where do the servers go? No surprise that restaurant was almost empty. Generous wine pours. Rating is 4 only because of quality of food and the exceptional atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank janmac50

Falls Church, Virginia
“Lovell's promised so much, but . . .”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My friend and I knew nothing about Lovell's, but we were both intrigued by its stately gray stone exterior and manicured grounds. The inside is luxurious: hushed, with thick, cream-colored tablecloths and flowers. Within a minute of being seated three people greeted us, including the fellow who brought rolls. The French rolls—c'est magnifique! I ordered coffee with lunch. How can such a beautiful restaurant serve bad coffee? Even at lunch prices were high, so I got an appetizer salad with goat cheese, pear, and beets. I can't put my finger on why it wasn't great, but I will say the beets tasted canned. So for $22, including tax and tip, I had bitter coffee and a blah salad. Not good.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank EmmythePetSitter
Chicago
“Far off the beaten path and should stay that way”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I'm not sure what to say. I was hoping for so much more. We did not enjoy our meal at Lovells. In fact, and it must be said, that this was the single worst meal I have had in several years and perhaps the worst quality to price meal I have had in MY LIFE. It wasn't the service because the service was fine - except that the waiter brought the wrong dish - and insisted that it was correct. He then took it back to then kitchen and when he returned admitted he had made a mistake. He wasn't rude, and had that been the only problem we would have been fine. The wine list was very weak but the prices were exceptionally fair. A big plus for an expensive restaurant. But the food - ultimately why you dine out - was, in a word, brutal. This is not unfair - both meals and the apps were basically uninspired food more appropriate for a microwave Costco meal. I am usually moderately easy on my reviews of restaurants (check them out) but I would be doing folks a big disservice if I didn't write about what I found. I have no beefs with the staff, the owners and this is a real review. The food was just bad and I won't let anyone I know go back without a warning.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Procurare
Gurnee, IL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Elegant Dinner or Lunch”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I received a giftcard to this restaurant, and so we made our reservations and went for dinner one night. The atmosphere was lovely, the server attentive, and the food was delicious and innovative. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Lovell's, and I took my son there for lunch at a later time. Once again, I was not disappointed, as we had a fantastic lunch, with some of the best shrimp ceviche I have ever tasted.

• Visited June 2012
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“Lovell's”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We celebrated our daughter's sixteenth birthday here with a luncheon for 35 of her friends and it was great. We had dined there before and enjoyed our dinner so thought we would host our event there. Vicki was great to work with and prompt in communicating with me regarding details. The rooms upstairs suited our lunch guests perfectly and the chosen Tuscan buffet was a hit. They happen to work with Lovin' Oven Cakery (in Libertyville) and they did an incredible job on the cake. The staff was helpful and courteous. I wouldn't hesitate to host another event at Lovell's.

• Visited March 2013