“Date Night”
Review of Authentico

Authentico
Reserve with OpenTable
Authentico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 67 Restaurants in Lake Forest
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Westmister
Description: The food represents the best of two worlds - Traditional Mexican food with a modern twist Complimentary tortilla chips and rustic salsas Thoughtfully chosen wine list Family-friendly environment A comfortable place to relax after a day of work, play or shopping
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went on a Friday night so it was extremely packed. We didn't realize we could call ahead, so we went & sat at the bar for the 30 minute wait before we received a table. It isn't that big of a restaurant & some of the tables, including ours, was so close to our neighbors table that we may as well have been sitting with them. The staff in general was very friendly, the bartender we had was inexperienced but aimed to please & offered to make the margharita sweeter or more sour if it wasn't just right. The chips & salsa at your table aren't generic like most places & has a distinct taste. I had the pescado tacos & OMG!! Foodgasm!! lol The textures, the tastes, it requires nothing more to enhance its taste. My husband had the pollo tacos & he liked them, I heated his leftover taco up the next day... it was good, but couldn't hold a light to the pescado tacos. If you live close by, come & check it out. I would caution to call ahead. Also I later saw some women with sangria that looked delicious & would have complemented my meal well, I will try it next time.

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We would definitely go back! We started out with the chips and guacamole. They were awesome! The salsa that comes with the chips is also warmed. I loved it! As my friend that took us said, "It doesn't have that straight out of the fridge taste." I ate the chicken dinner dish. I thought it was seasoned perfectly but the salsa on top was cold, funny that they warm the table salsa but not the salsa on your hot food. Anyway, the food was good and the cold salsa didn't throw me off that much! I asked for flour tortillas to eat my chicken with, I recommend them! They were very fresh and tasted great! No one else at our table had complaints! Oh, and try the churros for dessert-amazing :)

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were greeted with a smile upon entering and the wait staff at this restaurant are professional. The service was prompt and attentive. The restaurant is really nicely decorated with a large bar, and nice combination of generous booths and tables. Though the restaurant was crowded, we could still talk comfortably. A lot of diners were families with children and it has a happy atmosphere. The downside is the food. There are some really great mexican type restaurants in this area, so we think its ok to be picky. There is no reason to dine at one where the food is mediocre. The guacamole was very cold when it arrived and tasteless. It seemed as if it was just defrosted or not so fresh. It had no chopped tomato or hint of lime in it which surprised us since tomatoes are in peak season. I would suggest the restaurant make the guacamole right at the table. For the main course we sampled the Scallop/shrimp dish. The fish was tough/way overcooked and arrived at the table cold. The mango side was very cold also and lacked flavor. The other dish sampled was the Mahi Mahi fish tacos. The Mahi Mahi was completely overcooked. It had very little flavor to it. But it did have fresh cabbage which was a nice touch. We did appreciate the sides of rice which were creative, light and different then the usual Mexican Rice. The black beans tasted like they just opened up a can of black beans. Adding some creative spices or chopped vegetables would be a nice touch. Since the restaurant is so new, we may try it one more time because we always give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt.

3  Thank Forestalle
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We tried Authentico tonight. We had a great experience. The service was attentive, knowledgable and the food was great. We started with chips, salsa and guacamole. They were great. After we ordered, a friend suggested the Elotitos appetizer. We added it to our order and it was delicious. Corn on the cob with some type of dressing, covered in grated cheese and chili powder. Favorite entrees were the steak tacos, chicken and steak quesadillas, and an awesome Camarones a la Diabla.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Authentico has been open just a few weeks and may be working out the details.The Good: It is a cozy Mexican restaurant with some outdoor tables.The ingredients are fresh. The complimentary chips with two varieties of salsa are wonderful ,homemade, and happily replenished.The guacamole and corn with parmesan cheese appetizer also are very good. Sitting outside is pleasant and we were not hurried. The "needs tweaking": I have been here twice. We found the main dishes a bit bland and in need of more flavor and heat. The first time there,my spouse and I had the fish tacos and a pork dish. The pork was covered with what tasted like BBQ sauce, not what we expected or wanted. The fish tacos needed more spice. My first margarita was perfect, my second so sour I sent it back for sugar.On my second visit with friends, I tried the steak/beef tacos. The same BBQ-like sauce was dotted on the meat and seemed out of place.The accompanying black beans and rice were fresh and fine but again could benefit from more flavor. One of my friends also experienced a very sour virgin margarita. I will go back and give it another try in a few weeks and hope to find more fire and spice in the dishes.

2  Thank ChicagoVagabonds