“Clean and friendly”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lake Forest
Houston, Texas
“Clean and friendly”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

From check in to in room dining to check out, the entire team was extremely friendly. The hotel was very clean. The food was delicious and served very quickly! I would highly recommend the Mediterranean plate! I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE traveling to the Lake Forest area! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for the great review and kind words! Our passion and priority is providing genuine care and hospitality to every guest...I'm so glad this was your experience. I will be sure to celebrate your comments with our entire team. It's also nice to hear you enjoyed our restaurant...delicious and served quickly, well said. We appreciate your strong recommendation and thanks for choosing us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
winston salem
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here during a trip to Northern Illinois to see our son's graduation from Navy boot camp. The hotel was great and meticulously maintained, the staff was friendly and always helpful and the location was ideal for our purpose. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
First, thank you so much for the outstanding review and kind words. We're honored to be able to host you and your family for such a proud occasion. Our hotel's mission is simple and meaningful, "clean and friendly". I'm so glad to learn this was exactly what you experienced during your stay. It was also good to hear you found our location to be ideal for travel to and from Great Lakes Naval Base. We really appreciate you choosing us and thanks again for the wonderful recommendation.
Woolwich, Maine
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Extremely satisfied with the hotel, staff and amenities. Very quiet in the room and never heard anyone in the neighboring rooms or hallway. Central to several malls, restaurants and Navy base. Will surely stay at another Hilton Garden again when traveling.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Happy Customer...that is a great review title, thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed everything about the hotel from amenities to location, and most importantly our team. Our passionate people are the heart and soul of the hotel, I deeply appreciate them and I'm glad you did as well. Thank you for choosing us and please plan to stay with us again if you return to the area.
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip in Nov. 2012. The hotel has an on-site restaurant, which I ordered room service from (think bar food, all processed, frozen prepared). I ordered fish & chips and they were SUPER greasy, but the pieces of fish were generous. The nice waitress had to make about 5 trips to my room because they kept forgetting things...my drink, napkins, tartar sauce, and so on. The room itself was very clean with a big walk-in shower. This hotel seems brand new, so it's hard to find anything wrong cosmetically. The bed was surprisingly uncomfortable but it was the road noise from I-94 that kept me from sleeping well. Luckily I could blast the air conditioner and drown out some of the noise. Overall a decent stay, but if you are a light sleeper or don't like the sound of semi truck going by every 15 seconds, I'd ask for an odd numbered room (even numbers back up to I-94). Staying at the Residence Inn next door for my next trip this week to compare.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room so you don't have to listen to I-94 traffic all night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
As always, I want to first thank you for sharing your overall very positive experience. We appreciate your direct, detailed feedback...without it, we can't possibly hope to improve. It's good to learn that you enjoyed the property overall and that you found our team to be genuinely interested in taking care of you. Based on your comments, there's no doubt we have some opportunity to improve our room service experience. Room service is not easy to execute properly in a way that exceeds guest expectations. However, this is our goal and our commitment. Please be sure we will take the appropriate steps to ensure no one has a similar experience to yours in the future. I hope you'll plan to stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our committment to constant improvement. I'm confident that you can plan to order room service on your next visit and expect a great experience. Thanks again for choosing us.
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went for my daughters graduation from Navy boot camp and stayed here. It was a little further from the base than a lot of people may stay, but definitely worth the extra couple minutes. Service was wonderful and very helpful. The rooms were ice with microwaves, coffee and a refrigerator. Beds were comfy, too. Had those little squishy hotel pillows but I just used two, I usually bring my own anyway. Low price for the quality!

Stayed November 2012
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
First, thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with your fellow travelers. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed all that the hotel has to offer. It's especially satisfying to read that you found our service and hospitality to be exceptional as service is our passion and it's the reason we're here. Also, thank you for traveling the few extra miles to stay with us. We're fortunate to enjoy a lot of business from graduation weekends from those looking for a great product, exceptional service, and a convenient location. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and a big congrats to you and your graduate.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My family and I chose the Hilton as our base for our weekend for my son's Navy graduation (PIR). We were delighted on so many occasions from the moment we walked in. From the personalized service, remembering our names, little extras like free coffee all day, cookies in the afternoons, and other special touches made the stay extra special, the rooms were outstanding, and the staff were the extra impact that topped our weekend. We will recommend this hotel at this point, to anyone heading that direction.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Wow, thank you for the very kind review! You mentioned being DELIGHTED...what a wonderful word for you to use to describe your experience at the hotel. Our team was thrilled when I shared your comments this morning. It's our pleasure to have the opportunity to take care of the family and friends of the dedicated individuals committed to serving our great nation. I am particularly pleased to read about the personalized service you received throughout your stay and to learn that our team made the most profound "impact" on your stay that weekend. We know you had a lot of choices so thank you for choosing our hotel.
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during a recent trip to the Lake Forest area. The hotel is just off a major freeway with easy access. As others have mentioned, there are no services (restaurants, stores, etc) near the property. However, I was able to drive into Lake Forest in less than ten minutes, and the village offers pretty much anything a visitor might need (including commuter train service into Chicago).

The staff is very friendly in all areas of the hotel's operations. The property has all of the usual HGI amenities (free parking, no-charge internet, restaurant, business center, pool/workout room, etc). Rooms have the typical HGI layout; my room had a walk-in shower, which was nicer than having to crawl into a tub. The room and bath area were very clean.

Breakfast in the restaurant was mediocre - my omlette was something I could have used for sheet shooting. Prices for any kind of alcohol are steep (two glasses of house wine knocked me back about $17).

As noted above, internet access was no-charge, however, the connection speed was so slow I could refill my coffee while waiting for a page to load or for a document to open. For a business traveler, this slowness is more than frustrating. On the other hand, the property was very, very quiet and I was able to enjoy a solid night's sleep - a rarity for me at most hotels.

On balance, as a long-standing Hilton Diamond HHonors member, I was pleased with my stay on pretty much all levels. The property is a good value offering a good product for a business traveler. I recommend this HGI property.

Room Tip: As for a room on the 5th (top) floor at the end of the hallway (away from elevators)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Flying_Lawyer
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I want to personally thank you for taking your valuable time to share such a detailed review. We are dedicated to constant improvement and we cannot do so without direct, unfiltered feedback from our most well traveled guests. We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed nearly every aspect of your experience, including the convenient location, wide array of amenities, and most importantly "very friendly" service...something for which we are truly passionate. However, I do want to address the two areas where we failed to meet your expectations. First, the internet connection. I agree completely that a healthy connection rate and reliable internet service are extremely important, and we know our business travelers have to be able to rely on it. I do have good news to report, our remote tech support team actually discovered a switch that was down and it has been replaced. Our internet service, which was recently upgraded, and is now roughly 3-5 times faster, is all systems go...I'm sorry this was not your experience earlier this month. I have also shared your feedback regarding breakfast with our F&B Supervisor, and as a result, some very specific individual retraining will occur. I love my omeletes and I did have the opportunity to "test the product" this morning. I'm confident you would have been satisfied with the meal I enjoyed this morning. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As a result, we have been able to make specific improvements to an already great product. Thanks for choosing us and please plan to stay again the next time you're in our area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Forest
Residence Inn Chicago Lake Forest/Mettawa
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lincolnshire
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Bannockburn-Deerfield

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa? Share your experiences!