“Perfect Compliment to a Memorable Weekend”

Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lake Forest
Mesa, Arizona
“Perfect Compliment to a Memorable Weekend”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My family and I chose the Hilton as our base for our weekend for my son's Navy graduation (PIR). We were delighted on so many occasions from the moment we walked in. From the personalized service, remembering our names, little extras like free coffee all day, cookies in the afternoons, and other special touches made the stay extra special, the rooms were outstanding, and the staff were the extra impact that topped our weekend. We will recommend this hotel at this point, to anyone heading that direction.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Wow, thank you for the very kind review! You mentioned being DELIGHTED...what a wonderful word for you to use to describe your experience at the hotel. Our team was thrilled when I shared your comments this morning. It's our pleasure to have the opportunity to take care of the family and friends of the dedicated individuals committed to serving our great nation. I am particularly pleased to read about the personalized service you received throughout your stay and to learn that our team made the most profound "impact" on your stay that weekend. We know you had a lot of choices so thank you for choosing our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during a recent trip to the Lake Forest area. The hotel is just off a major freeway with easy access. As others have mentioned, there are no services (restaurants, stores, etc) near the property. However, I was able to drive into Lake Forest in less than ten minutes, and the village offers pretty much anything a visitor might need (including commuter train service into Chicago).

The staff is very friendly in all areas of the hotel's operations. The property has all of the usual HGI amenities (free parking, no-charge internet, restaurant, business center, pool/workout room, etc). Rooms have the typical HGI layout; my room had a walk-in shower, which was nicer than having to crawl into a tub. The room and bath area were very clean.

Breakfast in the restaurant was mediocre - my omlette was something I could have used for sheet shooting. Prices for any kind of alcohol are steep (two glasses of house wine knocked me back about $17).

As noted above, internet access was no-charge, however, the connection speed was so slow I could refill my coffee while waiting for a page to load or for a document to open. For a business traveler, this slowness is more than frustrating. On the other hand, the property was very, very quiet and I was able to enjoy a solid night's sleep - a rarity for me at most hotels.

On balance, as a long-standing Hilton Diamond HHonors member, I was pleased with my stay on pretty much all levels. The property is a good value offering a good product for a business traveler. I recommend this HGI property.

Room Tip: As for a room on the 5th (top) floor at the end of the hallway (away from elevators)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Flying_Lawyer
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I want to personally thank you for taking your valuable time to share such a detailed review. We are dedicated to constant improvement and we cannot do so without direct, unfiltered feedback from our most well traveled guests. We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed nearly every aspect of your experience, including the convenient location, wide array of amenities, and most importantly "very friendly" service...something for which we are truly passionate. However, I do want to address the two areas where we failed to meet your expectations. First, the internet connection. I agree completely that a healthy connection rate and reliable internet service are extremely important, and we know our business travelers have to be able to rely on it. I do have good news to report, our remote tech support team actually discovered a switch that was down and it has been replaced. Our internet service, which was recently upgraded, and is now roughly 3-5 times faster, is all systems go...I'm sorry this was not your experience earlier this month. I have also shared your feedback regarding breakfast with our F&B Supervisor, and as a result, some very specific individual retraining will occur. I love my omeletes and I did have the opportunity to "test the product" this morning. I'm confident you would have been satisfied with the meal I enjoyed this morning. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As a result, we have been able to make specific improvements to an already great product. Thanks for choosing us and please plan to stay again the next time you're in our area.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I travel a lot for work and have stayed at some pretty awful hotels during my travels. This hotel is phenomenal, despite nothing within walking distance.

Staff: Best hotel staff I've come across. Every morning when I would leave out the front door, someone would always tell me "Good Morning, have a great day". In addition to this, all the staff members I engaged with are very friendly, will chat with you about anything, and are very detailed with their help. The housekeeping staff do their jobs well as my room is always tidy with clean bed sheets and towels. This is an A+ staff in my opinion

Exercise Room: I usually don't rate this because I typically do not care, but I surprised myself and took advantage of the exercise room every night. They have three treadmills, two ellipticals, dumb bells, exercise balls, and a few other items that I cannot remember. The cardio machines have television attached to them, so it was nice to run for 30 minutes and watch some MLB playoffs. The room is always clean and items put away - this may have more to do with those using the room rather than the staff cleaning it, but who knows.

Showers: This is important to me, I don't know about you. The water is always hot and the pressure is always good. I've been in some hotels where the hot water is out after five minutes and their shower heads are clogged with calcium and other stuff.

Internet: The internet is pretty quick and responsive. You can connect either wirelessly or wired.

In addition to all this, the room I was in (basic one bed) has a 32 inch flat screen television with High-Def channels, a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, cups, and lights galore.

The only negative is that my window is overlooking I-94, and it can get pretty noisy at times.

This is a A+ hotel for business travelers - highly recommend!

Room Tip: Do not get a room that's on the same side that's facing I-94
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with your fellow travelers. There's no better advertising than strong, positive, first-hand feedback from our guests. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's fitness center and that you appreciated your shower experience so much. We recently upgraded our internet bandwidth to a level that we believe will exceed what our competitors offer, so it's very good news to learn that was your experience. However, the most gratifying and important feedback you shared was in regards to the kind and attentive service you received from every member of our team. We are truly passionate about providing genuine hospitality to our guests and it's extremely rewarding when someone appreciates it as much as you do. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. Thanks for your business...I hope you'll plan to stay with us again if you return to the area.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Fantastic hotel service. Front desk and restaurant/bar staff were exceptional, including the chef. All greeted us with a smile every time we interacted with them. This is a great place to stay for Naval graduation - just 15 minutes from NAS. Also, the lounge area is comfortable and roomy for visiting with your sailor. There were 3 other sailor grads there. The restaurant is large and very nice. The food is also good. One downside is the highway noise - it is noticeable all night. We would stay here again. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for making time to share your wonderful experience. It is our honor and pleasure to serve the families and friends of the brave men and woman dedicated to serving our country. We're glad to know you enjoyed the hotel overall and especially our restaurant, the Great American Grill. Most importantly, and closest to my heart, it's very gratifying to hear that you received "fantastic" service, that all team members you met were "exceptional", and that you were greeted with a smile at every encounter. Service is our passion and we're so glad that was your experience. Thank you for choosing us and for the opportunity to serve you and your family. We hope you'll visit again should you return to the area.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was not exactly thrilled to be staying in the middle of nowhere Lake Forest. There are no other bars, restaurants, pretty much nothing within walking distance. If you want to eat and drink, you are doing it in the Hotel. Upon entering this place, I noticed right away that the staff was super friendly. They also seemed to be on a first name basis with alot of the guests. This place DEFINES customer service. To the front desk staff that remembers your name and uses it, to the folks working in the restaurant/bar to the staff in the hallways, everyone greets you and makes you feel welcome. The food is not that bad and it is hard to beat the breakfast buffet at a hilton garden inn. An added bonus, almost directly across the street, the Des Moines River trail runs about 30 miles. Great running/biking/walking on finely crushed gravel trails through some beautiful scenery. If you are ever in Lake Forest, stay here.

Room Tip: DEFINITELY request a room facing the parking lot and not I-94.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
What a fantastic review, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Providing great customer service is not just our mission, it's our passion! So, needless to say, hearing about your wonderful interactions with our team throughout your stay is very gratifying and much appreciated. Your comment that "this place defines customer service" demonstrates that we are accomplishing our mission and sharing our passion. Thank you for choosing us, please visit again the next time you're in our area.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I like this one more than the Marriott Inn next. The check in took less than 5 minutes. Staff are friendly. There is a restaurant, and the buffet breakfast is good. Try to get a room which is not facing the highway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers. "Friendly staff", "fast check in", and a great breakfast buffet...the foundation for a great stay. Thank you for your business and for your loyalty. We certainly hope you'll choose us for your next visit...we'll look forward to seeing you again soon!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times while I in in the area for business. The staff is excellent and always makes me feel welcome. The hotel is immaculate. The rooms are large, super clean and very comfortable. I sleep very well in their beds. The daily cleaning service did a wonderful job. There is a small bar and a patio where we enjoyed drinks after a long day at work. This location is close to the highway and close to some very good restaurants in Lincoln. I can't emphasize how wonderful the staff is - when you're traveling for work and away from your family, it means a lot to be welcomed and see friendly faces everyday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jason S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
First, thank you for your loyalty...repeat business is critical to our success and we appreciate yours. What a wonderful review and such kinds words. We're certainly glad you've always found the hotel to be immaculate and the rooms ideal for your needs. It's also good to hear that you've been able to enjoy our bar & patio area...it was designed to provide comfort and convenience...nice to know it's serving its purpose well.
Finally, and most importantly, I was thrilled to read your comments about the genuine service provided by our team. It was very cool to hear you express the same sentiment that we discuss amongst ourselves almost every day. We want our guest to feel welcomed and appreciated while on the road away from their homes and families. It can be something as simple as a smiling, friendly face or someone genuinely interested in you day that can make a difference. I'm very pleased that was your exact experience. We know you have a lot of choices so thank you for choosing us. Please plan to stay with us again when you're back in town.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Forest
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lincolnshire
Residence Inn Chicago Lake Forest/Mettawa
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago-Libertyville
DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein
Hotel Indigo Chicago - Vernon Hills

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Lake Forest Mettawa? Share your experiences!