“Great adventure on the beautiful Kankakee River!”

Big River Fly Fishing
Ranked #1 of 3 Tours in Kankakee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big River Fly Fishing is a guide service designed to introduce the sport of fly fishing and promote the Midwest as a world class fishery. I grew up on the Kankakee River and have been entranced, obsessed with the sport of fly fishing since I was eleven or so. I've spent years living in New York and Western Montana, and honestly, this home water fishery rivals it all. This guide service will strive to provide memorable trips on the Kankakee and share the love for the river's history, ecology, conservation efforts, and of course, fly fishing.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was one of my first experiences fly fishing, and I couldn't have been more happy with how my trip with Big River Fly went. Captain Will was patient and very helpful in showing me the ropes. He was an amazing guide, very skilled and knowledgeable. I was amazed with how well he knew the river and all the good spots to cast. He kept us fed and hydrated the entire time, which only made the trip more enjoyable.

Everything from the Will's boat to the 18'' bass I caught, to the beautiful Kankakee river was top notch! If you're looking for a great fly fishing experience look no further than Big River Fly Fishing.

1  Thank Taylor C
There are newer reviews for Big River Fly Fishing

Reviewed July 18, 2014

A family wedding brought me to Chicago from the Cleveland area in late June. I figured prior to the Saturday wedding I would try to book a trip on the Kankakee River with Captain Will. Well, the Kankakee was at or near flood stage the day of the charter so Will suggested an alternate location in the Mazonia Fish and Wildlife Area. These are man made lakes, remnants of old strip mine operations left before land reclamation was the norm. Very deep and with crystal clear water. Although the fishing was a little slow, the weather was great and we managed to bring a fair number of small to medium bass and some nice bluegill to the boat. We saw and cast to very good bass but they weren't having any of that on this particular day.
The lakes are surrounded by dense phragmite reeds and casting to the weed edges is analogous to banging mangrove edges in the Florida Keys. This is how we got into most of the bass and we could hear fish splashing back in the reeds where casting was impossible. The fish are definitely there.
Will has a very nicely appointed drift boat that is very stable and makes a great casting platform. His gear is top-notch, Sage rods and Lamson reels and he brought more flies than I could lose in a week.
Inspite of the slow fishing, I could not have asked for a more relaxing day on the water. Will is excellent company in the boat, knowledgeable about the area and the lakes, worked hard to get me a few fish and rowed me around for a good 9 hours. Frankly, my casting shoulder gave out before we left the water. Just what I needed to get my head right before making the trek into the city for a giant wedding.
Family will bring me back to Chicago a couple times a year in the future and I definitely plan to try for another float trip on the Kankakee when water conditions are better.
Thank you, Will.