“Very Nice”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kankakee
Minnesota
“Very Nice”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I very much enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Kankakee. It was very clean and the staff was friendly. My only complaint was the bed linens. The top sheet was thin and cheap. Not the kind that I expect from a Hilton. I had indicated I wanted a change of linens the next day, but my request was ignored by housekeeping and they just remade the bed. It's hard to make a complaint about sheets when it's late at night and I just want to sleep so I just lived with it. Other than that, it was very nice and I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sam R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are actually a test property for Hilton in regards to their new bed linen standards. This means we are currently trying several different types of linen to give the brand feedback. Your comment helps make this easier! By the way - I believe all of the thinner style of linens have been removed from the hotel. So you should not see this problem at all in this hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience,

Sam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

The room was very inviting, maybe a note that the beds are adjustable? It was hard as a rock for a week until the front desk made note of sleep settings.
Some changes apparently were set in place in the dining room. What started off as calm and friendly ordering breakfast from my server, turned to asking the cook directly for food? She seemed annoyed and ended up asking a server to start taking orders.
The dinner service is very lacking. My meals were very sub par and glamorously over advertised. The "tenors" dinner alfredo was very soupy and the NY strip (ordered med rare) was brought to me as a well done. I would've asked for a proper steak, but it already took what felt like an hour to receive my entree. Don't fall for the baked Mac n cheese bit either. It was Kraft Mac n cheese with bacon from breakfast. As a side note, guests may not want to hear that a server has food poisoning while they are waiting for their food.
The front desk staff was outstanding and very friendly, maintainance seemed less than enthusiastic (pool was to be open may 19th, maybe the 28th now?)
I will be on the lookout for other options in dining if I need to return to Kankakee

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your feedback - we really do appreciate it. I do apologize for the confusion with the restaurant. We were in the process of switching over policies in our restaurant to the newest HGI standard. I do believe we have all of the problems ironed out. If you are ever at the HGI again, please come see me - I'd love to buy you dinner to prove it!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 22, 2013

So disappointed with the Hilton for this charade of a hotel. It was an absolute disgrace, a cheap economy hotel with "Hilton" slapped on the front.
When we first arrived the lobby was overflowing with drunken guests from a wedding, falling all over themselves, trying to get beer from the lobby bar as the wedding bar had shut down. Due to that, and there only being one server in their "restaurant" it took over 2 hours for a quick dinner.
The room was a disgrace, a shambles! I am amazed at all the good reviews for this hotel, I would only recommend it to someone I didn't like...at all, and even then I'd have my reservations.
The pool was so small, and had a scaly film floating on top, it was so disgusting I didn't get in. There were black remnants in the bathtub from many uses without a good cleaning, dirt on all baseboards, black scuffmarks on the doors and to top it all of...
MY DAUGHTER FOUND A DIRTY RAT trap and put it in her mouth (1 year old). I almost had a heart attack. This turned into an entire fiasco and ended up ruining my son's 5th birthday and any kind of good mood any of us had.
Hands down, worst hotel experience ever.
Do yourself a favor if you'r in the Kankakee area and drive 5 miles north to the Fairfield Inn in Bourbonnais.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LeAnneAt
I am truly sorry for the experience you had while at our hotel. Even though I was not at this property at the time, I have read back through all of the correspondence regarding this & was thrilled that Hilton was able to resolve your difficulties. While it is of limited use to you, I assure you that this sort of experience will never happen to another guest here at the HGI Kankakee. We have dedicated ourselves to be the cleanest & friendliest hotel in Kankakee & would love the chance to prove it to you. If you ever do find yourself in the Kankakee area again, please contact me - I would love the chance to prove our quality & service standards to you.

Thank you for your valuable feedback,

san diego, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is near one of my reps, otherwise I'd stay closer to the city, however this hotel for the price is a great deal. One of the best restaurants and bars at a quick, business travel hotel, very clean hotel and great bed (firm).

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your kind words. We do try to offer our hotel at a the best rate/value for the quality of the hotel in town. If there is anything more that we can do to make your stay enjoyable, please contact me directly,

Thank you for your feedback!

Germany
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel was very confortable to stay with. Remodelling seems to have happened just before. Breakfast was opulent. Rooms very clean and bed really perfectly made for relaxing. Air conditioning very convenient (not blowing as hell). Best place to stay, if you need to.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are thrilled that you had a relaxing stay. If there was anything more we could have done, please feel free to contact me directly.

Port Byron, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The bedding had obviously not been changed since the last occupant. The bathroom was not cleaned well from the last occupant as well. I contacted the front desk and the clerk apologized and immediately had housekeeping exchange all of the bedding. The clerk also extended a free dinner in the restaurant to make up for the trouble. On her behalf she did everything within her power to make up for the situation. However the issue shouldn't have occured. If you refer to Yelp.com and take a look at the reviews for this 2 star hotel you will find this is not uncommon for this property. There is a notice in the room that states the bedding is changed every three days and upon checkout. We already know they failed on the checkout portion. After the bedding was changed in front of me, I lifted the corner of the mattress and marked the bedding. I reviewed that mark each and every day of my five day stay. It was still there when I checked out, and I would bet it is still there. While we were sitting in the breakfast area we watched as leaking pipes soaked the suspended ceiling tile and it collapsed onto some of the seating in the breakfast area. The area had not been cordoned off, so a guest could easily have been sitting there for breakfast. In the rooms they still have the glasses with the paper cap for my protection. We all know that these glasses are never cleaned, except by being wiped out by the room cleaining people. Please switch to single use glasses.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

I do sincerely apologize for the quality of your stay. We at the HGI are dedicated to providing a clean fresh room to every person. I assure you that the glasses that you see in the room have been washed before having the personal cap put on them & transported up to the carts. Hilton has very strict cleaning procedures regarding this. Because of these procedures & HGI brand standards, we are not yet allowed to go to the single use cups. (I think this may be coming soon, though) Since we have finished the renovation & have new management members in place, I think you would be very pleasantly surprised with how the hotel looks now. Please contact me directly if you are ever in Kankakee again. I would love the opportunity to show you the cleanliness & service that the HGI brand are all about.

Thank you for your feedback!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We usually stay at Hamptons but the one in Kankakee was full so we opted for Hilton Garden Inn. A little disppointing that the pool was closed but we were told that we we booked. Also parking was limited because of sealer,but overall a nice hotel and will stay again. We stay at Hamptons because of a nice hotel,clean friendly staff and free breakfast. No free breakfast at Hilton Garden .

• Stayed May 2013
So happy that you had a good experience with us. We have finished with the renovations of the hotel, so anytime you come back to the area, please come see the new & improved HGI! While we don't offer free breakfast like some of the other hotels - I promise you would love our breakfast. We do offer custom omelets & breakfast options that many other hotels cannot. I'm afraid I have to stop here - I'm making myself hungry... Please come see us again next time you are in town,

Sam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kankakee
Fairfield Inn Kankakee Bourbonnais
Red Roof Inn & Suites Monee
Super 8 Watseka
Super 8 Watseka
#1 of 1 in Watseka

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee? Share your experiences!