“Friendly staff”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kankakee
Streator, Illinois
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I frequent this area on business and stay here whenever possible. Rooms are clean, comfortable and well-equipped with coffee maker, mini refrigerator and a microwave. The desk area is laid out well for getting some additional work done, and the fee wifi is fast and reliable. Last week I was told by someone else from my company that this property was sold out on a date I needed, but when I called they were very accommodating and did get me in. The cooked to order breakfast is a great way to start your day and Val is a great server, always friendly and accommodating. The workout room is small but has a treadmill, elliptical, and two exercise bikes, along with some weight machines. Always glad to stay here when I am in the area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KSMcruiser
Sam R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
So happy that you have been enjoying your time here!! Val is absolutely wonderful!

Sam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Springboro, Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2013

THis Hotel becomes very difficult to deal with if any special circumstances arise. We prepaid for a two night stay to attend grandparents 50th wedding anniversary a huge event. However,day prior to arrival they both came down with terrible illness and party cancelled. We tried many phone calls to Hotel to reach anyone in management to try to cancel our reservation/not be charged or even to get credit for future travel. We are lifelong loyal Hilton customers. Personnel at Hotel were very uncaring/unresponsive, kept stating "its up to owner to resolve this but he is in Indianapolis and can't be reached." Will switch to other brand in future.. No responsible persons working on-site at the Hotel were able to assist us whatsoever!!!!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tj H, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I am so sorry that your felt the management team was unresponsive during this situation. I know that you spoke with our Front Office Manager and she informed you that we were unable to refund apre-paid rate like the one your booked. I feel worse that the parties with Hilton central, with whome you booked the reservation, did not show more empathy or understanding. I will review with our team the proper way to handle pre-paid reservations like this in the future and I appreicate you bringing this to our attention; I'm sorry this instance didn't get resolved any better than it did but I do hope you'll come back and try us again - if not us then another HGI.
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on the night of a friend's wedding. The staff was kind to let us check in after midnight. The room was clean and pleasantly decorated. I crashed hard in the comfortable bed and enjoyed a great breakfast the next morning!

• Stayed May 2012
Thanks so much for the great review! We hope you come back again - maybe at an anniversary?
Southern Jersey
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've been here several times now on business and have found this hotel to be a great place to stay. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. The new restaurant menu is a great improvement and food is very good for a 3 star hotel. Breakfast is fantastic and is made even better by the friendly and smiling servers. One area that could be improved is the bar. While the bartenders are great, the selections of liquor are not. For a hotel that caters mostly to business guests, the choices of bourbon, scotch and wines need to be upgraded. All in all though I would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Bob54
Thanks for the great response. As a single malt drinker myself, I agree - we could improve some of our offerings. We're looking to improve that over the next couple of weeks - let us know how we're doing next time you're in town!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Nice and clean lobby and welcoming staff also have nice room. They have good variety of breakfast options and also have restaurant where you can choose from menu to order. Indoor pool and fitness center helped me to relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
While we are glad you enjoyed your stay, we always want your experience to be a 5-Star experience. Please come try us again if you are back in the Kankakee area & see our newly renovated hotel. I know you'll love it - We guarantee it!

Thank you for your feedback!

Glen Ellyn< IL
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My room smelled of smoke and even opening the window did not improve the problem. Old Tube TV's need to be replaced with Flat pannels. I would recommend checking our your room carefully to make sure you do not get a room that smells of smoke. (I had a co-worker that also stayed in a room that smelled of smoke). The heat was turned up to 75 degrees and the Air conditioning was turned off for the winter. The next morning when we spoke to the front desk all they said was the rooms were going to be updated soon. I would recommend waiting until they redo the rooms before staying here. Clearly not representative of most Hilton Garden Inns.

Room Tip: Make sure the room does not smell of smoke
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tj H, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I apologize that you felt our hotel wasn't representative of the Hilton Garden Inn brand. We are working to update the rooms but we apologize that you felt we didn't live up to the brand. I will have our engineering team check out the AC/Heat units in each room - they are designed to be completely controlled by the guest including being able to turn on the AC during winter if so desired; I appreciate you letting us know about this so we can assure that it gets corrected.

I also want to apologize that your room smelled of smoke. We are 100% nonsmoking but unfortunately sometimes not everyone plays by the rules. We do try and rehabilitate the room before anyone checks into them if someone smokes but we evidently missed this one.

I hope you'll come back and give us another shot the next time you're in the area - we are currently going through renovations so the new package (including the flat screen TV) should all be completed soon.

Thanks for the feedback and have a wonderful day!!!
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were pleased with the two rooms that we had reserved, and our request to get a late check out was granted without any trouble. However, we were awakened at 7:15 AM on Saturday morning by pounding and construction noise above us. When we called the front desk to inquire, we were told that carpet was being ripped out and replaced on the fourth floor! Really? At 7:15 AM on a Saturday morning? We were not warned of this, received no "we are sorry but in the AM" upon checking in - no clue from management that this was to take place. We were offered no apologies, compensation, or concern that this was a problem when we called to complain or when we mentioned it again at the time of check out. Certainly not the response one would expect from a Hilton property.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about construction and request a room that is not one floor below because that option...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I am so sorry that you were not informed ahead of time about the ongoing construction work. I know our front desk agents had been trained to notify the guests as they were checking in, but unfortunately our service fell short. I apologize for the inconvenience & would love the chance to make it up to you if you are ever in the Kankakee area again. Since you were with us, we have completed our full renovation of the HGI & changed management companies (Sorry - I'm the new guy...) If there is anything we can do, please feel free to get in contact with me personally.
Regretfully,
Sam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kankakee
Magnuson Hotel Bourbonnais
Red Roof Inn & Suites Monee
Super 8 Watseka
Super 8 Watseka
#1 of 1 in Watseka

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee? Share your experiences!