“The Caribbean of the Northwest”
Review of Haigh Quarry

Haigh Quarry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We've been diving at Haigh since 2007, don't know why I never thought to review it until now?!

There is something to be said about "jacuzzi" diving but when you live in NW Indiana and you truly love to scuba, you love the quarry!

As said in the other reivew, admission to Haigh is $20. We have our own equipment and tanks, but they do rent everything there. There is a changing house and they have picnic tables throughout for your gear and if you want to have a picnic or cookout. If you can visit the quarry during the week, I would highly recommend it, not crowded at all! The vis is better during the week, fewer divers and it does not get silted up. We just visited yesterday and had great vis. 20' in most areas.

Our dive shop certified us here at the quarry and it's also a great place to continue your education and practice! There are a lot of things that are sunk, you can view a map or purchase one so you can navigate around. Beware of the Blue Gill a.k.a. Piranha Gill, they will nip anything that is not covered by neoprene! If you're lucky, you will spot one of the 3 elusive Paddle Fish.

I would highly recommend the quarry for a day of fun/casual diving! It has something for every level of diver!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

High Quarry is an excellent place to get a quick dive, gain experience, or explore. It's about 45 minutes outside of Chicago which makes it convenient. I've been there 3-4 times during the week and it hasn't been crowded. However, I hear the weekends are pretty packed.

It costs $20 to get into the place and nothing else as long as you have your own equipment. The best visibility I've had has been about 15-20 feet. The worst was about 5. Quite a few dive shops will do their open water certifications here.

Been to Haigh Quarry? Share your experiences!