“Friendly and great food.”
Review of El Mexicano

El Mexicano
Ranked #5 of 68 Restaurants in Kankakee
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Near 1-57 exit 308
Description: Near 1-57 exit 308
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have been there several times and will return. Great food in a fun setting. Huge menu with some different dishes. Drinks are very good, and the staff has always been very friendly And helpful. The decor is bright and fun, and the noise level is not to bad. A great place to GAO with friends to have a fun dinner.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

When I think of this place I start to feel real sick. The mexican food was authentic, suppisely, but all of it was tasteless and mushly. I loved the pop and the deco was fine. Service was not good, they made me feel like they were doing us a favor by serving and charging us for that bad food. I will NEVER go back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I love Mexico and when in Illinois, we like authentic Mexican food. El MExicano is amazing. Service is always prompt and with a smile. The margaritas are great too! We go at least once a month.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This restaurant is in a strip mall next to the Hilton Hotel in Kankakee, and right next to I-57. The decor is very colorful with a good atmosphere. The food is as good if not better than a lot of other Mexican restaurants, and it is far better than getting fast food.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Much better option than most of the things you'll find in this area!

It's got some solid vegetarian options (granted, most of them are 90% refried beans-- when I asked the waiter what was in the bean burrito, he literally said 'just beans.') And we were in a real hurry, and they were definitely able to get us some vegetarian quesadillas super fast!

None of the food is particularly spicy, or particularly authentic Mexican fare, but it's decent and the quesadilla had an unexpectedly large amount of fresh vegetables inside, which was fantastic!

I'd go back for sure... better this than the McDonald's my dad always loves to stop at a few miles north!