“Great authentic Mexican restaurant”
Review of El Mexicano

El Mexicano
Ranked #5 of 68 Restaurants in Kankakee
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Near 1-57 exit 308
Description: Near 1-57 exit 308
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I love Mexico and when in Illinois, we like authentic Mexican food. El MExicano is amazing. Service is always prompt and with a smile. The margaritas are great too! We go at least once a month.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This restaurant is in a strip mall next to the Hilton Hotel in Kankakee, and right next to I-57. The decor is very colorful with a good atmosphere. The food is as good if not better than a lot of other Mexican restaurants, and it is far better than getting fast food.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Much better option than most of the things you'll find in this area!

It's got some solid vegetarian options (granted, most of them are 90% refried beans-- when I asked the waiter what was in the bean burrito, he literally said 'just beans.') And we were in a real hurry, and they were definitely able to get us some vegetarian quesadillas super fast!

None of the food is particularly spicy, or particularly authentic Mexican fare, but it's decent and the quesadilla had an unexpectedly large amount of fresh vegetables inside, which was fantastic!

I'd go back for sure... better this than the McDonald's my dad always loves to stop at a few miles north!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our Friday night group of 8 love to go there. Authentic Mexican atmosphere, great Mexicano Cheesesteak and delicious Sangria!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Located at Exit 308 off I-57, El Mexicano fits in well here, between the Hilton Garden Inn (nicest hotel in the area) and a newish Wal-Mart supercenter, and across the highway from a brand-new Love's travel stop, this is easily the best food in the immediate area. Very popular with locals and travelers; it does get busy on Friday and Saturday nights.

Fun and festive decor, tasty food, well-priced, always a winner.