“Nice for a special occasion close to home”
Review of 164 North Fine Dining - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We enjoyed this restaurant on a Friday evening to celebrate some good news. My husband had chicken tetrazzani while I enjoyed the stuffed tilapia. Both were delicious. I was a bit disappointed in the appetizer selection since most contained fish (my husband hates fish), and I found the appetizers a bit overpriced at almost $10 each. I also feel an upscale restaurant doesn't need to charge extra for a twice baked potato, but it was tasty. The desserts we had were generous and could have been shared, but I ate the whole lava cake myself. Our server was polite and not intrusive. It's not a cheap place for the Kankakee area, but a nice change. If a couple plans on having alcohol drinks and an appetizer and/or dessert, be prepared to shell out at least $100. You would pay way more closer to Chicago for the same meal, and at 164 NORTH, the parking is free.

2  Thank 4catcouple

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I went here in early February. There are not very many good places to eat in the Kankakee area, but we were both impressed with the variety of the food and the quality of the cooking. It is NOT a cheap place to eat--in fact I think it's probably the most expensive place in town--but it was worth it. I had the fillet tips and scallops, and the lobster cream sauce on the scallops was amazing. My fillet tips were cooked perfectly, which is hard to do considering how they are tapered, and the scallops melted in my mouth. YUM! I would say that the food here is as good as anything you'd find in Chicago.

This is not some place you'd want to pay for dinner every week; our bill for two people with drinks and a shared dessert was around $150. However, if you're looking for a place for a special dinner, this would be where to go.

1  Thank c_juleski
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Upscale dining, but NOT kid friendly...very disapointed, we will not go back there!

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I went with some business associates. The wait staff was attentive without being hovering. The menu was heavy on seafood and steaks but still varied. I ordered the special which was medallions of filet mignon over sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes. The filet was covered with lobster and crab meat along with a fresh delicious hollandaise. There were spring vegetables and two very large shrimp along with it. The filet was cooked perfectly and very tasty. The entire meal was great. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. I would feel great there in jeans or a suit. I will be taking my wife there soon for a special occasion. It is a hidden gem in Kankakee.

2  Thank BengCh001
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Nothing but first class dining, service, waitress & meals were exceptional @ a fair price

1  Thank 99redharley