“Expensive disappointment”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Langdale
Brimstone at Langdale
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Expensive disappointment”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked this shortly after a bereavement as a pre -Christmas treat and something to look forward to at a sad time. I read all the reviews and thought it was going to be a luxurious experience for us. The website pics were great and the room was true to the picture but I certainly would not describe it as a luxury boutique hotel - more an upmarket annexe to a rather old and jaded hotel -the Langdale.

The Langdale Estate is a bit like an old fashioned Center Parcs - most of the facilities were in the main hotel which meant walking cross in the driving rain. Purdy's restaurant was indeed like an nursing home canteen -albeit very expensive food in a 1970s setting. If you wanted to go outside of the complex, it was a walk on an unlit road with no pavement to the Wainwrights pub, which I have to say was fabulous. Unfortunately I tripped in the dark on our way to the pub, although we had been given 'torches' which were less than useless and fell ripping my jeans and cutting my knees in pitch black darkness as I had dropped my torch!

Back to the Brimstone - previous reviews have stressed the brilliant service from the hosts but it was mostly lacking on our visit. We were 'let in' by a female host who didn't introduce herself and wasn't wearing a name badge so I had to ask her what her name was - surely a basic? The idea is that if you need anything you ring a number but I would have preferred an actual reception desk area where I might have learned more about the area rather than having to ask about specifics.

The room was amazing, the log fire was easily lit and looked fabulous. The fittings are of a very high standard and the bed extremely comfortable. We had room service breakfast on the first day as recommended but as it comes over from the main hotel, it was almost cold so on our second day we braved the storms and went to the hotel for a much better breakfast but in the dreary surroundings of Purdy's.

The reading room is a nice idea and was well stocked with wine, beer and coffee.

At 550 for two nights it was unfortunately an expensive mistake but confirms that we are much happier somewhere like Grasmere where you are in a traditional hotel but in the middle of a village with lots of choice of eating/drinking and somewhere to wander around

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SazzB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Oh my god where do I start. Ok so this place is the size of a small village nothing like I expected from the picture i was working from as being an exclusive hotel far from it. It reminds me of a ski lodge with corporate style accommodation, and at over £400 a night I expect a hell of a lot more than that. I know the winds had been horrendous all on the west coast but, our balcony which had a number of conifers on it plus patio furniture was all laid in a heap plus broken glass on it, luckily we never stepped in any of that, I did speak to one of the girls about this obviously she was very apologetic about this, but she agreed should have been sorted out before you let guests in to the room. As for the meal at purdys the setting is like an old peoples rest home no atmosphere shocking then we had to wait 40 mins for our meal to arrive after being ask to leave the bar to be seated in the dining room, funny the waiter suggested how I should have my steak cooked, I don't need a young lad telling me how my steak should be cooked. This just outlines the whole set up The place has no leadership it's just being run by kids, who mean well but come on at these prices I expect more. The two girls who seem to run the day to day requirements of the brimstone hotel jenny being one of them are very pleasant but this is centre parks under a different name The Brimstone
Breakfast we had room service that took just over an hour luckily I ordered it early enough otherwise they could have brought lunch to us all in one neat package. Definitely will not be returning to the Brimstone again

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pete D
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had a lovely stay in a mezzanine suite here. The room was so comfortable and clean and we loved the privacy.

Breakfast was average I'm afraid to say, and we couldn't always park in the car park - it rained loads whilst we stayed.

This is a lovely base in the Lakes. We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Brimstone is a stunning new boutique hotel within the grounds of the fantastic Langdale estate. We stayed in one of the mezzanine suites, which had a wood-burner in the lounge, a separate double bath downstairs, a large en-suite upstairs and an enormous super-king-sized bed. The large balcony was a bonus. Breakfast is delivered to the room at no extra charge and is superbly cooked and presented. If you prefer, you can take breakfast in the 2 AA rosette Purdey's restaurant, which also serves great food in the evenings. In the reading lounge of Brimstone, complimentary drinks and and snacks are available all day. This includes wine, local beers, lager, coffee and tea. Nothing is too much trouble for the friendly, highly efficient staff. In the public area. there is an excellent spa with swimming pool and another restaurant, called the Terrace, which overlooks the pool and serves top-quality Mediterranean-style food. This restaurant also has a delightful large conservatory attached. In addition there is a cosy bar( alongside a small pool with a wooden waterwheel) called Hobson's, which has a log fire and serves lighter meals but you can just go in for a drink if you wish. There is no need to book a table here and service was quick and friendly. We enjoyed fish and chips here and the fish was the freshest we have had. As if this wasn't enough, the hotel also runs a fabulous traditional pub, outside the grounds in the village of Chapel Stile.This is a short walk from the hotel and serves excellent local beers and ever-changing guest beers in addition to top-quality food. Add to this the stunning scenery with some of the best walking anywhere and you begin to see why the holiday press are hailing Brimstone as the top hotel destination in Europe. We have already booked to return in the Spring!

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb but vary in size........check them out on the website. We have now stayed i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank leoNorthampton
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband treated me to a 2 night stay at the Brimstone to celebrate my bitrthday and I was wowed!
Our room was luxurious, relaxed and extremely comfortable: the log fire, private terrace and huge double baths made this so and the delicious breakfast in bed and complimentary wine and snacks made me not want to step outside. Staff were attentive but not in your face, very friendly and helpful.
The facilities on the estate gave us plenty of choice for eating out: we ate in perdys, the terrace restaurant and indeed the homely pub which is a short walk up the road... all lovely.
The spa facilties were also great and I took advantage of the reasonably priced treatments available.
This was a much welcomed, peaceful break in beautiful surroundings.
If you don't mind forking out for a way above average, extremely relaxing stay this is definitely worth a try. We will be going back.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank lozzamac11
Milnthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great surroundings in the middle of the most beautiful area in the world. The design of the rooms is absolutely incredible. On site spa also good. The restraunt in the adjacent hotel was okay but after the rooms it seemed quite ordinary.

Room Tip: All different but all amazing
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Billster_12
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Where do you stop to praise this place ? First the staff are the back bone, without them working so hard brimstone you wouldn't get these excellent reviews. . The room we had was amazing 'not revealing which one as I've booked a couple more times .if brimstone keep to every thing they do now almost every body will return , one last thing you're breakfast in the room ho my god l love this place. .

• Stayed November 2013
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Brimstone at Langdale? Share your experiences!