“Flat”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Joliet
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I had a pleasant enough 2-night stay here but overall, compared to other HIEx properties, this one just doesn't measure up. The bed and all the plush pillows and linens were comfy. From front desk to housekeeping, the staff were all courteous enough, so kudos for that. I, too, was told to use the "B" entrance which worked out just fine, but that's basically all I saw during my visit. From the wing of the hotel I was in, I'd have to agree with some of the other reviewers as it just feels like the life has been sucked out of this property.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Front Desk was nice and helpful. They advise you to go thru the back entrance which was pretty dismal. As we walked in there was stuff all over the carpet - first impressions were not good. My son was excited to go swimming, but then when we were told where to find the pool by the housekeeping staff, it led us to an "outdoor" pool which was still closed for the season - pretty disappointing. The lighting in the halls was flourecent and extremely dim - which is neither welcoming nor asthetically pleasing. The rooms were fairly cleain, but there was still staining on the walls in areas. There was a brand new 42" LG flat panel, but the chanels were analog and very few - not the best picture for a new HD TV. The heating unit when turned on emitted the normal electric heater smell; which my wife promptly told me to turn off as she would rather be cold than smell it. All in all the people were nice and there had been renovations, but it's one of those things where "you spit shine a turd, you still have a turd". They tried to renovate, but you can only cover up so much. I would give it 2.5 stars.

Room Tip: I got the rooms via Hotwire for $70+_tax/etc. Glad I only paid this much.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank John H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear John H,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you mentioned our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received accommodations which wereunacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is an older property & it's showing its age. There's not much here to write home about. I was there for business. It would not be my first pick. There was no special treatment by staff. You're just another customer. The rooms are typcial post era Holiday Inn. The restaurant definitely is aging. It appeared our group was imposing on the bartender and food staff. The food I ordered was terrible. Find another restaurant close by. There are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank WisconsinRanger
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

WisconsinRanger,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed February 11, 2012

This was an excellent hotel, good price, good location, clean room, friendly staff, good breakfast, great shower and comfortable bed. Could not have asked for any more. Everything i expect from this chain and even more. Sometimes you go to a hotel because of the name and come back sorely disappointed. This holiday inn does NOT disappoint. Would stay there again without a doubt.

Room Tip: I was on first floor and had no problems.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DawnZHebron
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I had an iPod and wallet taken from my room. I reported it to management and was told they are not responsible and basically there is nothing they can do for me.

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank Tuhtrt
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This is my first business trip to the area. As always I use Trip Advisor before choosing a hotel. I tend to disregard the "horror" reviews unless the majority of them are horror stories.

Anyway, I found my room to be very roomy and comfortable. The bed was comfortable and I don't care about hotel pillows...I always travel with my personal pillow. I figure that if the bed is bad, as long as I have my pillow with me I can survive.

I do agree with one review in regard to the toe-tripping entry into the bathroom. I did trip on it once but if one was not careful, they could find themselves head first into the commode. Be careful!

The hotel restaurant was great. The food was very good and I found the dining area very nice and good change from "continental" breakfast areas of the majority of hotels I tend to stay at. I will return!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank IlLibby123
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The stay started off ok, little did I know how bad it was going to get.

The check in staff were very pleasant when I arrived and presented us with vouchers for a "free" breakfast during our stay which I thought was a nice touch.

The hotel is very dated,with hall carpeting which could easily induce a migraine.

Our room was of an adequate size. On entering though I noticed 2 huge dark patches on the carpet. These were soaking wet and when I attempted to rub them with a towel it simply showed how filthy the carpet was so it was shoes on at all times.

The bathroom required quite some manouevering due to the positioning of the toilet and the door. Not comfortable at all.

The pillows were the worst I have ever come across anywhere in the world. So much so that both my husband and I spent our stay sleeping with no pillows at all. The tags which stated "soft" and "firm" were hanging from the headboard when we arrived - probably because housekeeping couldn't tell what was what and there wasn't a tag for "just plain uncomfortable"

The room had a musty smell and overlooked the roof of a corridor and the pool which was closed for winter. I asked if we could use the chairs by the pool and was told "certainly not". Not very accomodating at all.
The furniture was shabby and chipped and showed signs of neglect as far as cleaning was concerned. The headboard had a thick layer of dust and the carpet edges contained much fluff and crumbs. The vaccuming clearly was confined to a path around the bed only.

Given the cleanliness of the room it was ironic that housekeeping were hammering on the door at 9am each morning despite the "do not disturb" sign being out. They seemed to disregard this completely, along with my request for a daily paper. Apparently there are only so many to go round.

The "free" breakfast was shocking. There were heated serving dishes with items for those of us with vouchers. Everything in them was drowning in fat and grease. It was absolutely stomach churning. The only other thing on offer was fruit however having watched the staff handling it nothing would have persuaded me to risk it either. So the free breakfast consisted of two coffees before we made a visit to Bob Evans across the road where we met several other guests in the same position.

The final straw for me though was the safety aspect.
The electrical sockets worried me immediately as they seemed overloaded. Only one bedside lamp worked as there was no power socket anywhere near to plug the other into - was the lamp just for decoration?

I was worried enough not to plug my laptop in to the sockets and relied on battery power only.
Unfortunately my cell phone needed charged so I plugged it in only to for the socket to hiss and spit. I unplugged immediately but couldn't get the phone to work. I've since been told by a repair shop that the phone has suffered a power surge which has, in the words of the repair shop man, ""fried it". Thank goodness I didn't plug in my laptop. When I went to reception to report what had happened they couldn't have been less interested and told me just to unplug something else and use another outlet.

Nothing could tempt me to return to this hotel. It's in need of a complete overhaul.

Additionally - I'm not sure why Trip Advisor lists this as a Holiday Inn Express - it is a basic Holiday Inn - no express facilities at all.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple