Friacos
Ranked #106 of 251 Restaurants in Joliet
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 12, 2013

There are many good Mexican restaurants in the area. We enjoyed our lunch at Friacos. I can't, however, give it a higher recommendation than other places. I enjoyed the chips and salsa and my enchiladas. The chicken was very tasty. My lunch was served on an enormous plate, but the portion was average. They put some lettuce to make it look bigger than it was. It was filling enough. I may or may not return next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We have been here twice since they opened the new location. The first time we had the shrimp quesadilla (very good) and a pick two plate with a enchilada and taco which were average. The swirl margarita - sangria & margarita- (which I've had at other restaurants and loved) was awful! We visited again this week and had enchiladas and tacos again. They were ok; however we found a long hair in the taco. (We didn't complain though we just didn't finish our food). I'll still give it a few more tries but their is definitely better Mexican in the area!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were excited to try this place as it always looks busy when we pass by, and because we wanted to support a local business who took over a long time empty building in Shorewood. Now we are always hesitant to try a new place because we already have a favorite Mexican restaurant but decided to give it a try. Well, I can only say we should've stuck with our favorite place instead. We went on a weeknight about 5:30 and had a 45 min wait. Well, once we sat down outside we found out why the wait was so long. The service here is extremely slow. Do not expect this to be a quick meal. Once we placed our order it took about 45mins for our food to come. We did ask our elusive server about it because we thought maybe they lost our order. When we finally did get our food, it was okay, not great, especially for the wait. We each had ordered the carne asada and got an overcooked thin piece of steak. It seemed like every time we had to ask our server for something we had to ask multiple times as they kept forgetting our requests. Unacceptable. The other thing that irritated us was that it took 1 hour and 10 mins before we were asked if wanted drink refills. Now our drinks were empty for quite a long time but trying to get someone's attention seemed to be pretty hard, and besides, every time we asked for something it took forever to get it anyways. Now to our servers credit, she was nice, and I think she was just really overwhelmed with too many customers to handle. I hope this place does okay as I hate seeing vacant buildings around but we'll be sticking with our regular Mexican restaurant for our dining.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Friaco's is now located at 1321 Route 59 in Shorewood, IL. This great Mexican cuisine that was something of a secret when they were located on Essington Road in Joliet, is now a very popular and often crowed location in their new Shorewood location. A wonderful new restaurant, much larger in size, with outdoor dining, an expanded wait staff, great ambiance, and the same authentic and well prepared food we long timers have enjoyed for many years. If you love the food or are new and want to find out what Mexican cuisine is all about, this is the place to try. Lunch and dinner menus with a variety of meat and vegetarian dishes to please most any palet.

1  Thank Kenneth M
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The above saying on a staff member's tee shirt should have been our warning to exit upon arrival. After a short wait for lunch at the new location, we were shown to a booth behind a pillar which was impossible for the two of us to enter [unless we were contortionists]. The next booth must have been washed as my wife pants were wet when she was seated. No menus were given to us at the table we were finally seated. When our waitress did arrive we opted for the lunch specials shown on the table card - soft drink included. The tea machine was broken so we ordered something else. When the food finally arrived there were no tortillas for the fajitas and no beans with the mole enchiladas. Another wait. The chicken was cold with a spoonful of dried out mole on top. By this time my wife had been so aggravated she lost any appetite she may have had, so we asked for the check. The check showed the dinner prices plus the soft drinks priced extra. When we asked for a corrected check waitress talked to a man wearing an apron. and returned with a check still wrong with drinks still extra. Had the man[manager?] taken the time to speak with us maybe this revue would not be necessary . we finally got a corrected check and ran to pay our bill at the cashier and were told we should have waited to settle our bill at the table. The woman who seated us told my wife "it just was not her day." She was right.

Been to Friacos? Share your experiences!