“This is the pride of a great city”

Joliet Area Historical Museum
Ranked #5 of 30 things to do in Joliet
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Most metropolitan areas have some sort of museum or cultural focal point. I have not seen anything like this facility in my life. It is comparable to any large city attraction. The people are so sincere and so wrapped up in their heritage that it wears off on the attendee. Joliet has much civic pride and history, and it is shown in these exhibits. Plus the fact that it likes to consider itself to be the "Gateway to Route 66." This is a great presentation and and just so compeling. Loved it!!!

2  Thank John I

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Visited here after old Joliet prison. The people of Joliet are very proud and this place is very well cared for. There is a nice Route 66 area too

2  Thank debbie3062
Reviewed May 21, 2013

If I lived in Joliet, I'd love this but I don't so I didn't. I did enjoy the kind woman working and this day the museum was free. Love the pride of the people here and I do mean that, in a good way. There is a good amount of travel information here for Illinois and rt 66.

1  Thank fitz49525
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very attractive facility, informative displays, nice variety of presentations, covers a lot of history and different aspects of the area's history. Some interactive displays.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My sister and I were looking for something to use up a few hours, and came across this museum. We are delighted we did!

She had really wanted to see the "Route 66" information. We paid the admission to go into the whole museum, and really enjoyed it. There is a lovely video presentation of Joliet, and when it's over, the screen scrolls up and the doors open onto quite a surprise! There is a lot of history in the museum, and it's well displayed and informative.

There are quite a few photo ops in the lobby area (Blues Brothers, anyone?, and "old cars")..which were surely popular with the school groups who come through.

Terrific gift shop with a lot of "Route 66" souvenirs...and charming and informative employees. Thanks Zack for being available to answer questions for us! Another was a lovely lady in the gift shop who was tirelessly cutting out *spring flowers* for kids crafts for an upcoming event.

Go if you have the chance!