“nice”

Joliet Area Historical Museum
Ranked #5 of 26 things to do in Joliet
Reviewed October 7, 2012

nice museum of Joliet history. If you are from the area, there are things you will remember from your childhood. If not, you will be surprised at the history and talent of the Joliet area.

There are newer reviews for Joliet Area Historical Museum

Reviewed September 1, 2012

It helps to be from Joliet to enjoy this museum to its fullest, but if you're from or visiting Joliet, it's well worth the small entrance fee. Plenty of Route 66 memorabilia in the gift shop, and Joliet has its shining moments.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The staff are particularly helpful (thanks Elisabeth) as I turned up fairly late the first day and they advised me to return and also told me where to park.
My reasons for this visit were twofold. Firstly to obtain Route 66 information and their displays and well stock gift shop fully satisfied all me requirements. Secondly to learn the local history and again I wasn't disappointed.
I hope to return again next year.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We returned to Joliet for my high school band's Centennial Celebration. We visited the museum because their new display du jour (or for about a year maybe) covered the band's 100 years. That display was very good.

Beyond that, we were very pleasantly surprised at the coverage of the history of Joliet from the discovery days through developments of transportation, industry, culture and everyday life. Some displays included sound and some had movies with actors giving individual commentary and reminiscences.

A short (12 min?) movie provided a good introduction.

I grew up there in the 50s and 60s and have visited a number of times since, but there were a lot of things that I never knew about.

If you're at all interested in the development of an interesting small city with diversity in background and population, I recommend a visit.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Loved the experience, had a wonderful time and learned a lot in a short visit. The gift shop had everything and anything you could think of to purchase at good prices.